BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

07-13-2018, 06:35 PM   #1
Budget M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Tire choices for Comp pkg 20ís

Been doing a little searching and reading on this topic. I am not thrilled with the tire choices in the stock 285/30 and 265/30R20 sizes for an everyday car. I really don’t need the ultra sticky compound for everyday conditions and especially want something a little more “water friendly” for those long trips when the inevitable precipitation threatens to hydroplane the car into the weeds. Replacing tires every 10-15k miles is getting old fast, too.

It sounds like some are running 245/35 front and 285/30 or 295/30 rear. There appear to be more choices of brand and tread pattern in those sizes, but only marginally so. Do I have to switch to 18’s (a set of which I have collecting dust in the garage) just to find a decent selection of moderately affordable tires that will last 20k miles or more?
'85 M635CSi Alpine w/buffalo; '03 M3 Conv, Imola
'16 340i Med Blue/Saddle Brown

Last edited by Budget M3; 07-13-2018 at 11:35 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 01:46 AM   #2
brad850csi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

The Yoko V105's are known to be great in the wet and are actually used by BMW as a wet day tyre on the ring taxis. You could run them in 10mm narrower sizes than stock, 255/30r20 and 275/30r20.

Or you could change to the PS4S which was improved in the wet from the PSS that your car would have come with and keep the same sizes and see how you go.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 09:53 AM   #3
Budget M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad850csi View Post
The Yoko V105's are known to be great in the wet and are actually used by BMW as a wet day tyre on the ring taxis. You could run them in 10mm narrower sizes than stock, 255/30r20 and 275/30r20.

Or you could change to the PS4S which was improved in the wet from the PSS that your car would have come with and keep the same sizes and see how you go.
Interesting thought. I had not considered going with a smaller diameter. Will have to check into that. Aside from the speedo being off due to smaller tires, Iíd be a little worried they could look a little funny (to much gap) between tire and fender well. Anyone have pics of 255 and 275ís on your comp pkg?

From what Iíve read, the PS4S is not all that much different than the PSS as far as treadwear is concerned, but the better wet performance is worth considering....
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 01:16 PM   #4
gatorfast
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget M3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad850csi View Post

Interesting thought. I had not considered going with a smaller diameter. Will have to check into that. Aside from the speedo being off due to smaller tires, I’d be a little worried they could look a little funny (to much gap) between tire and fender well. Anyone have pics of 255 and 275’s on your comp pkg?

From what I’ve read, the PS4S is not all that much different than the PSS as far as treadwear is concerned, but the better wet performance is worth considering....
You mentioned a narrower front tire in the OP, unless it was a typo.

Anyway, if treadwear and tire cost is a concern I think buying an m3/4, especially with 20" wheels was a mistake. The oem michellin tires aren't any special sticky tires, they are just regular max performance summer tires. Also, proper tires are one of the biggest things that impact the feel and performance of a vehicle.

Your best option if you really want to save money and improve tread wear would be to get a set of 18" wheels as there are many all season tires that can be had for much less than the 20" tires.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 03:50 PM   #5
Budget M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post

Anyway, if treadwear and tire cost is a concern I think buying an m3/4, especially with 20" wheels was a mistake. The oem michellin tires aren't any special sticky tires, they are just regular max performance summer tires. Also, proper tires are one of the biggest things that impact the feel and performance of a vehicle.

Your best option if you really want to save money and improve tread wear would be to get a set of 18" wheels as there are many all season tires that can be had for much less than the 20" tires.
I mentioned narrower front tire because I’ve read here on this forum that some have gone to this size for their 20’s. even though the rolling circumference can be made to match with the right aspect ratio, I personally don’t think it’s a good idea unless the alignment, tire pressure, and other factors are also adjusted to compensate for the smaller contact patch.

Thanks so much (not) for your unsolicited opinion that I bought the wrong car. It is very (un)helpful. While I can afford any tire made, I would rather strike a reasonable balance between cost, dry performance, wet performance and longevity. For me, a $300 per tire cost for the Michelins balances only some of these.

Last edited by Budget M3; 07-14-2018 at 04:00 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 04:20 PM   #6
gatorfast
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget M3 View Post
Quote:

I mentioned narrower front tire because I've read here on this forum that some have gone to this size for their 20's. even though the rolling circumference can be made to match with the right aspect ratio, I personally don't think it's a good idea unless the alignment, tire pressure, and other factors are also adjusted to compensate for the smaller contact patch.

Thanks so much (not) for your unsolicited opinion that I bought the wrong car. It is very (un)helpful. While I can afford any tire made, I would rather strike a reasonable balance between cost, dry performance, wet performance and longevity. For me, a $300 per tire cost for the Michelins balances only some of these.
Sheesh relax buddy I was trying to help. A rwd performance car with 400+ lb/ft of torque is going to chew through tires which is exactly what the m3/4 does. There really isn't much of a way around it. A high performance car with 20" wheels is not something friendly on the wallet when it comes to tires.

My suggestion to move to 18" wheels was genuine and would likely save you a lot of money in tire cost and also provide additional summer and all season tire selections which are less expensive than the oem michellins. However, getting 20k+ miles on the rear tires will probably not happen no matter which ones you choose.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 04:26 PM   #7
gatorfast
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Also I would highly recommend taking a look at the continental extreme contact sport tires which compare favorably to the mpss and are less expensive with a better wear rating.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 04:32 PM   #8
MRV99
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP / 2017 RRS SC

Garage List
2017 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
If you would like a larger selection of tires it would be best to sell your comps and pick up a set of 19's. There are tons of sizes and brands available for you in the 19. Unfortunately there are no options for us comp drivers.

What ever you do don't get All Season tires. That would be the absolute worst thing you could do to your car. AS sucks and will reduce your car to a 335 .

17 M3 ZCP -- 2017 Range Rover Sport SC
--RIP--
12 X5 50i Sport -- 11 M3 DCT -- 2011 X5 50i(Lemon) -- 2008 550 Msport -- 2007 x5 4.8 sport -- 2004 545 sport -- 2002 x5 4.4 sport -- 2001 540i Msport 2000 SL500 -- 1997 SL500
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 02:44 AM   #9
Budget M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Sheesh relax buddy I was trying to help. A rwd performance car with 400+ lb/ft of torque is going to chew through tires which is exactly what the m3/4 does. There really isn't much of a way around it. A high performance car with 20" wheels is not something friendly on the wallet when it comes to tires.

My suggestion to move to 18" wheels was genuine and would likely save you a lot of money in tire cost and also provide additional summer and all season tire selections which are less expensive than the oem michellins. However, getting 20k+ miles on the rear tires will probably not happen no matter which ones you choose.
Perhaps I was a bit sensitive, but I know what I bought and why I bought it. I don’t need to be told that I probably bought the wrong car. You might consider that next time you post, too. Check my sig and you will find that I’m not a newb to this game.

Moving on....I am lamenting the fact that there is minimal CHOICE when trying to find a 265/30R20 tire for the front of these beasts. I really don’t want to have to drop down to 18’s just to have a decent selection of tires. Value does not necessarily mean cheap in my book.

Last edited by Budget M3; 07-15-2018 at 02:49 AM.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 02:47 AM   #10
Budget M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Also I would highly recommend taking a look at the continental extreme contact sport tires which compare favorably to the mpss and are less expensive with a better wear rating.
I have conti extreme contacts on my 850i in 18-inch and they are PERFECT! Unfortunately, they donít make the right size in 20ís
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 02:52 AM   #11
Budget M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRV99 View Post
If you would like a larger selection of tires it would be best to sell your comps and pick up a set of 19's. There are tons of sizes and brands available for you in the 19. Unfortunately there are no options for us comp drivers.

What ever you do don't get All Season tires. That would be the absolute worst thing you could do to your car. AS sucks and will reduce your car to a 335 .
Good suggestionto go to 19ís. No way Iím selling the comp wheels though. My F80 is a 30 Jahre so the comps need to stay with the car forever, even if they sit on the shelf in the garage collecting dust while I move to smaller wheels just to get a better all around tire. A Jahre without the comp wheels is worth the same as, well, an f80 comp pkg without the 20ís
Appreciate 1
Hedoniste885.00