BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

02-09-2017, 05:16 PM   #1
m3anest_f80
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: SOLD:2016 ZCP F80 M3 MG

Whinning/High Pitch Sound ON DCT F80

Alrighty...so ever since I got my downpipes installed I've been hearing weird noises that have just been eating away at me. At first I had a rattle, when the RPMs were coming down on a downshift which eventually went away after 3 days. I am assuming this was part of the break-in process which ultimately changed the note of my exhaust to a more refined one. So I got rid of one problem but last sunday I started hearing a loud whining high pitch noise coming from the outside of the car. It seems like it is coming from the the DCT area.

The whinning noise is very noticeable when the car is warming up or even at idle. I also noticed that when I go in the car and I am in neutral the noise seems to lower itself but when I put the car in Reverse or even engage it into first the noise seems to get really loud.

Ive tried to do my own research on this issue but I've noticed that many people say its from the DCT and its normal while others say its an issue with the Rear Diff. I do have the recall on my rear diff so Im also wondering if this issue is related to that.

I am posting a link of a noise very similar to what I am hearing below...

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 06:16 PM   #2
LAKERS333
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Since you installed downpipes, you are just hearing your Turbo whine which becomes much more louder. I assume you got the catless downpipes, this is pretty normal. You will get used to it over time, it should sound like a siren as well, at least to me it does.

But definitely part of installing downpipes is more pronounced Turbos noise for sure, nothing you should really worry about.

Last edited by LAKERS333; 02-09-2017 at 07:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 06:25 PM   #3
m3anest_f80
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKERS333 View Post
Since you installed downpipes, you are just hearing your Turbo whine much becomes much more louder. I assume you got the catless downpipes, this is pretty normal. You will get used to it over time, it should sound like a siren as well, at least to me it does.

But definitely part of installing downpipes is more pronounced Turbos noise for sure, nothing you should really worry about.
Yea I definitely hear the turbo. But why is that it's coming from the GEAR BOX and it happens when I put it into R and D.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 06:59 PM   #4
LAKERS333
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3anest_f80 View Post
Yea I definitely hear the turbo. But why is that it's coming from the GEAR BOX and it happens when I put it into R and D.

That I'm not sure about, have you tried taking it to the shop that installed.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 10:22 AM   #5
EBM4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

The video you posted is not what the Turbos sound like and the Turbos are not spooling at Idle or changing gears at standstill. This sounds like feedback through your stereo system.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 01:27 PM   #6
Dippydo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 Comp

Garage List
2012 BMW  [1.00]
I get that as well sometimes and my car is completely stock. Since it is intermittent there is no way to take it to the dealer without a code. It sounds like to me the fuel pump.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 04:38 PM   #7
m3anest_f80
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydo View Post
I get that as well sometimes and my car is completely stock. Since it is intermittent there is no way to take it to the dealer without a code. It sounds like to me the fuel pump.
I hope it's not the fuel pump....it's driving me nuts.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 01:48 PM   #8
Dippydo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 Comp

Garage List
2012 BMW  [1.00]
Quote:
I hope it's not the fuel pump....it's driving me nuts.
ha ha. It happened to me last weekend. Only lasts a couple of minutes on mine. It can't be the tranny because mine happens even in park when I first start the car. My guess its the fuel pump but Im not a mechanic If it doesn't throw a CEL then chances are BMW tech will say go away.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 07:52 PM   #9
m3anest_f80
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
ha ha. It happened to me last weekend. Only lasts a couple of minutes on mine. It can't be the tranny because mine happens even in park when I first start the car. My guess its the fuel pump but Im not a mechanic If it doesn't throw a CEL then chances are BMW tech will say go away.
yea its annoying...Im going in for a rear diff replacement on recall...ill let them take a look.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 02:34 PM   #10
JS_M3_F80
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F80 MMG

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
yea its annoying...Im going in for a rear diff replacement on recall...ill let them take a look.
Did you ever find out what was wrong with it I have the same issue