proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

12-03-2020, 03:55 PM   #1
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp / 2022 X5 45e

TPMS Malfunction

I will start off by saying that I made the stupid mistake of buying eBay TPMS when building my winter setup (513M with Blizzaks). The OEM TPMS were too expensive and there weren't any used ones available at the time so I thought I'd give it a shot.

This is my third time putting on these wheels. The first two times it took a while for the TPMS to register after resetting (20-30 miles of driving). However, during the entire process I still saw each tire show up as green on iDrive.

I was expecting the same this time, but now after resetting I don't see green lights for the tires. They are no lights for each tire. Also, the status when resetting climbs to 49% slowly and then sits there for a while. After about 10 minutes I get a TPMS Malfunction error.

I will drive it over the next few days to see if it fixes itself but in the meantime I want to know if there is an easy way to get rid of the TPMS error message every time I start the car. Can I easily code this out using Bimmercode?

I'm not sure if it is worth buying a new set of TPMS at this point. This is one expensive mistake as good sensors cost around 200 and installation involves rebalancing etc so thats another 150-200.

In case I decide to fix this, has anyone used the tire sensors Tire Rack sells?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 12:02 PM   #2
pmooiweer
Zymurgist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 (F80)

Quote:
Originally Posted by White340 View Post
I will start off by saying that I made the stupid mistake of buying eBay TPMS when building my winter setup (513M with Blizzaks). The OEM TPMS were too expensive and there weren't any used ones available at the time so I thought I'd give it a shot.

This is my third time putting on these wheels. The first two times it took a while for the TPMS to register after resetting (20-30 miles of driving). However, during the entire process I still saw each tire show up as green on iDrive.

I was expecting the same this time, but now after resetting I don't see green lights for the tires. They are no lights for each tire. Also, the status when resetting climbs to 49% slowly and then sits there for a while. After about 10 minutes I get a TPMS Malfunction error.

I will drive it over the next few days to see if it fixes itself but in the meantime I want to know if there is an easy way to get rid of the TPMS error message every time I start the car. Can I easily code this out using Bimmercode?

I'm not sure if it is worth buying a new set of TPMS at this point. This is one expensive mistake as good sensors cost around 200 and installation involves rebalancing etc so thats another 150-200.

Thanks
I use Tire Rack sensors on my winter wheels and have not had any issues.
Appreciate 1
White3401385.00
      12-04-2020, 12:05 PM   #3
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Your local tire shop should have these parts. They replace TPMS sensors all day everyday and might be cheaper.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 1
White3401385.00
      12-04-2020, 12:14 PM   #4
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
Your local tire shop should have these parts. They replace TPMS sensors all day everyday and might be cheaper.
I called a few places and they want 100 each for the sensors and 50 each for mounting and rebalancing. SMH this was such a stupid mistake to buy eBay tpms.

Anyone know a reasonably priced place to install TPMS and road force balance in the queens/LI area?

I paid 50 each last time and they took all of 10 - 15 minutes to install and balance all four so there must be someone who is willing to do it for less.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 12:15 PM   #5
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmooiweer View Post
Quote:

Thanks
I use Tire Rack sensors on my winter wheels and have not had any issues.
Good to know. Tire Rack has it for 35 each. How long have yours lasted so far?

I'm debating on getting a used set of OEM or buying new from tire rack. Don't see any reviews on the ones they have listed for our cars. They seem to have changed them as when I looked two years ago they had orange ones.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 12:27 PM   #6
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
I called a few places and they want 100 each for the sensors and 50 each for mounting and rebalancing. SMH this was such a stupid mistake to buy eBay tpms.

Anyone know a reasonably priced place to install TPMS and road force balance in the queens/LI area?

I paid 50 each last time and they took all of 10 - 15 minutes to install and balance all four so there must be someone who is willing to do it for less.
That's really over priced. Must be a COVID thing.

50 dollars for each mount and rebalancing is price gouging, 200 dollars just in mounting and rebalancing??? Check if you have a Discount/Americas tire near you. The mounting and rebalancing is 16 dollars per tire.

100 dollar per sensor is like OEM BMW price.

You can get these aftermarket ones from FCPEuro for 31 dollars each (when they're back in stock).

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/tpm...e-autel-300020

FCP Eurostuff have lifetime warranty.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 12:44 PM   #7
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
Quote:

That's really over priced. Must be a COVID thing.

50 dollars for each mount and rebalancing is price gouging, 200 dollars just in mounting and rebalancing??? Check if you have a Discount/Americas tire near you. The mounting and rebalancing is 16 dollars per tire.

100 dollar per sensor is like OEM BMW price.

You can get these aftermarket ones from FCPEuro for 31 dollars each (when they're back in stock).

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/tpms-ruber-valve-adjustable-autel-300020

FCP Eurostuff have lifetime warranty.
The fcp ones didn't have any reviews either. Even with a warranty it costs a lot to remove and replace them. Agree 200 was a ripoff. I went to RCT in Long Island. What made matters worse is one of the toms was leaking so I had a flat the next day. When I sprayed soapy water on the sensor I saw that it was leaking so I went to tighten it. I guess I tightened too much and the sensor came loose inside the tire. I had to pay another 50 to fix that even though I was a bit pissed it was leaking to begin with. However he got me on the fact that I tightened too much.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 03:04 PM   #8
hC1001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3

You dont really need to rebalance. They can deflate the tire and push the bead in to uninstall/install the new TPMS. Tire doesnt need to be dismounted. The sensors all weigh around the same and dont vary enough to cause vibrations. If they do, get it rebalanced.

Those are really high prices. Its usually $20-$30 for mount and balance. Maybe $25-35 for a dismount, mount and balance,
Appreciate 1
White3401385.00
      12-04-2020, 04:13 PM   #9
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hC1001 View Post
You dont really need to rebalance. They can deflate the tire and push the bead in to uninstall/install the new TPMS. Tire doesnt need to be dismounted. The sensors all weigh around the same and dont vary enough to cause vibrations. If they do, get it rebalanced.

Those are really high prices. Its usually $20-$30 for mount and balance. Maybe $25-35 for a dismount, mount and balance,
I had them mounted once using the tire rack installer and they didn't balance it properly. The front two shook the steering wheel at high speeds. I took it to RCT to get road force balanced and they charged 100 to balance the front two because they claimed they had to dismount it. It took like 7 minutes total. Now that I think of it I spent too much money there for the time they took..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 07:02 PM   #10
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
eBay is not the problem. Buying what appears to be incompatible sensors is your problem (or the vendor sent you the wrong ones). Several people, including myself, have successfully purchased compatible (and inexpensive) TPMS sensors off eBay. In fact, I did my research here on the forums before I made my TPMS purchase for a set of track wheels.

Just make sure you identify the right model TPMS sensor for the F80 (as BMW does have a few different variants for late model BMWs) and then find a vendor that has them for the price you want to pay. Huf is the OEM for TPMS sensors for several car manufactures, including BMW, so make sure you look for the right brand as well (as opposed to a generic brand).

For reference, here are the ones I purchased from eBay for $140 earlier this year:

TPMS Tire Sensors With Black Valve Stems Huf RDE027

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 1
MJ6962.50
      12-04-2020, 08:11 PM   #11
hC1001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3

All they have to do is break the bead inwards and then push in the tires where the valve stem is to swap sensors. Ive seen them done without issues or rebalancing. As long as the tire is in the same position it was originally.

I dont think he bought incompatible sensors. He may have bought cheap sensors off ebay. I purchased a new set of 4 tpms off ebay for $45 shipped. They have the same printed stuff as real ones except they dont have continental molded to the plastic. Pretty sure they are counterfeit. Theyve been good for the last 10 months without any issues with resetting, not sure how long they will last but ill probably just code them out if it does fail. Happy with them so far for the money.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 08:01 AM   #12
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
eBay is not the problem. Buying what appears to be incompatible sensors is your problem (or the vendor sent you the wrong ones). Several people, including myself, have successfully purchased compatible (and inexpensive) TPMS sensors off eBay. In fact, I did my research here on the forums before I made my TPMS purchase for a set of track wheels.

Just make sure you identify the right model TPMS sensor for the F80 (as BMW does have a few different variants for late model BMWs) and then find a vendor that has them for the price you want to pay. Huf is the OEM for TPMS sensors for several car manufactures, including BMW, so make sure you look for the right brand as well (as opposed to a generic brand).

For reference, here are the ones I purchased from eBay for $140 earlier this year:

The sensors were the correct type. I bought them Jan 2019 and used them for that winter plus last winter. I've only driven 2k miles on these wheels but they worked up until this season. I used BimmerLink to read the errors and all four wheels are registering tpms errors so I guess all the batteries are dead.

The seller I bought them from was based in China and is no longer an eBay seller even though they had hundreds of thousands of positive feedback.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 08:03 AM   #13
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hC1001 View Post
All they have to do is break the bead inwards and then push in the tires where the valve stem is to swap sensors. Ive seen them done without issues or rebalancing. As long as the tire is in the same position it was originally.

I dont think he bought incompatible sensors. He may have bought cheap sensors off ebay. I purchased a new set of 4 tpms off ebay for $45 shipped. They have the same printed stuff as real ones except they dont have continental molded to the plastic. Pretty sure they are counterfeit. Theyve been good for the last 10 months without any issues with resetting, not sure how long they will last but ill probably just code them out if it does fail. Happy with them so far for the money.
I will try to find a shop that can do that. Most will prob still charge the same though. I hope yours last longer than mine did.

If anyone knows a place that can install them for cheaper pls let me know! Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 08:24 AM   #14
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

The sensors were the correct type. I bought them Jan 2019 and used them for that winter plus last winter. I've only driven 2k miles on these wheels but they worked up until this season. I used BimmerLink to read the errors and all four wheels are registering tpms errors so I guess all the batteries are dead.

The seller I bought them from was based in China and is no longer an eBay seller even though they had hundreds of thousands of positive feedback.
Ok, but what was the brand TPMS that you purchased - was it a generic one? Everyone knows eBay is full of cheap knockoff items that can fail prematurely. But you can also find genuine brands, including OEM brands, on eBay for good prices - BMW TPMS sensors included.

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 08:28 AM   #15
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ok, but what was the brand TPMS that you purchased - was it a generic one? Everyone knows eBay is full of cheap knockoff items that can fail prematurely. But you can also find genuine brands, including OEM brands, on eBay for good prices - BMW TPMS sensors included.
Yeah it was prob a generic copy. It didn't say continental on it but looked just like it. Honestly I've been burned by eBay before so at this point will only buy things on there if the risk/reward is worth it.

I bought a set of MB plugs for my R350 that came in a Mercedes box and had the correct logos on them but after 3k miles I started getting check engine lights with misfiring codes. The plugs were 30 bucks vs 80 or so on fcp.

I replaced them with fcpeuro ones and never got the codes again. I did the work myself so it was only a few hours of my time but now I keep things like this in mind when buying from eBay.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 12:10 PM   #16
DML
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 Heritage

Biggest mistake was purchasing basically anything from eBay, some good people but mostly a safe house for the crooked & pure junk. BTW firm believer in OEM....
Appreciate 1
White3401385.00
      12-05-2020, 12:42 PM   #17
jd__m4
Captain
Rep
Drives: AY M4

I’ve bought two sets of these over the past few years and about to buy a third- never had any issues.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TPMS-Tire-S....m46890.l49292
Appreciate 1
White3401385.00
      12-05-2020, 02:52 PM   #18
Pittz1
2018 M3 ZCP / 06 330xi
Rep
Drives: 330xi 2006 / 18 M3 ZCP

https://www.tpmsdirect.com/BMW_M3_TP...6-f80-hufm.htm

Cheaper than ebay
Appreciate 1
White3401385.00
      12-05-2020, 03:05 PM   #19
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DML View Post
Biggest mistake was purchasing basically anything from eBay, some good people but mostly a safe house for the crooked & pure junk. BTW firm believer in OEM....
I think I will go with the ones on tire rack. They sell these all the time so I hope they're not crap.

Do all of them measure pressure and temperature?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 03:21 PM   #20
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
I think I will go with the ones on tire rack. They sell these all the time so I hope they're not crap.

If they are compatible with the F8X, then yes.

Appreciate 1
White3401385.00
      12-05-2020, 03:48 PM   #21
Pittz1
2018 M3 ZCP / 06 330xi
Rep
Drives: 330xi 2006 / 18 M3 ZCP

Those Autel ones need a special programmer. I would either do tire rack or the link I sent. Those two seem to work well. You can get black stems from the link I added.
Appreciate 1
White3401385.00
      12-05-2020, 08:29 PM   #22
DML
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 Heritage

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DML View Post

Yes & Yes. Tire Rack
Appreciate 1
White3401385.00