BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

03-22-2021, 04:46 PM   #1
BloomRunsDubs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
2016 M4. Can I save my battery or am I SOL

Hey everyone,

Ive had a 16 M4 for a little over a year now, love the car and am just getting it out of storage for the first time.

My issue is I didn’t think it would be much different than any of my previous cars (E9X M3s, multiple AMGs, even a Lambo) so when I put it away for winter I just plugged it into the same trickle charger I’ve used on all those other cars and 4 months later it is as dead as possible. Should have read the owners manual I guess.

I had no idea it used a Lithium ion battery. My mistake. I went and purchased the CTEK lithium charger and it will not help. It gets to stage 2 if I jump the car but eventually just goes back into flashing green mode meaning the battery is drained and won’t accept the charge. If I hold the reset button 10 seconds it turns red meaning it won’t accept the charge.

Anyone have any idea if there is anything else I can try? Should I try taking the battery out of the car and try charging it? Should I jump the car and go drive the car around for a couple hours?

Before I get any of the snarky “don’t buy it if you can’t afford it” comments. The car is paid off. Regardless I don’t feel like spending $1500 on a F’ing car battery lol

Thanks!
Appreciate 1
bsmf8x778.50
      03-22-2021, 05:03 PM   #2
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
In the instruction manual for the CTEK you will find this section:
Batteries with "Under Voltage Protection"
Some Lithium-ion batteries have an on-board UVP (under-voltage protection) that disconnects the battery to avoid it becoming too deeply discharged. This prohibits the CTEK charger from detecting that there’s a battery connected. To bypass this, the battery charger needs to open the UVP.

By pressing the RESET-button for 10 seconds, the charger opens the UVP. During this process, the charging STEP 7 is lit. Once the UVP has been opened and the battery is ready to be charged, the charger automatically starts the charging cycle.
I'd try this first. When I had a low voltage situation, before I knew about this, I jump-started my car and then went for a drive for an hour. Everything was fine after that, but I also put it on the CTEK and ran it through a full cycle. I started a whole thread about this 2-3 years ago which you can find if you search on CTEK and my username.

Appreciate 2
      03-22-2021, 05:16 PM   #3
hC1001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1809127
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 05:22 PM   #4
BloomRunsDubs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
In the instruction manual for the CTEK you will find this section:
Batteries with "Under Voltage Protection"
Some Lithium-ion batteries have an on-board UVP (under-voltage protection) that disconnects the battery to avoid it becoming too deeply discharged. This prohibits the CTEK charger from detecting that there’s a battery connected. To bypass this, the battery charger needs to open the UVP.

By pressing the RESET-button for 10 seconds, the charger opens the UVP. During this process, the charging STEP 7 is lit. Once the UVP has been opened and the battery is ready to be charged, the charger automatically starts the charging cycle.
I'd try this first. When I had a low voltage situation, before I knew about this, I jump-started my car and then went for a drive for an hour. Everything was fine after that, but I also put it on the CTEK and ran it through a full cycle. I started a whole thread about this 2-3 years ago which you can find if you search on CTEK and my username.
I have tried holding the reset button. Stage 7 is lit and then Stage 1 lights briefly before the red error light comes on. I will try taking it for a extended drive. Thanks for the reply!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 01:24 PM   #5
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloomRunsDubs View Post
I have tried holding the reset button. Stage 7 is lit and then Stage 1 lights briefly before the red error light comes on. I will try taking it for a extended drive. Thanks for the reply!

Oops, missed that you did that in your OP. Battery sounds like it's toast.

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 02:17 PM   #6
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
See if there's any voltage present at the terminals with a multimeter or battery load tester. If not, there's a chance leaving the tender connected killed the battery - requiring replacement.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 07:52 PM   #7
IVM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

I would first try jump starting the car with another car to see if that works. If so, drive around on the highway for 20 minutes, then park and hook it up to your charger.
Appreciate 1
SD ///M42992.00
      03-23-2021, 11:22 PM   #8
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
See if there's any voltage present at the terminals with a multimeter or battery load tester. If not, there's a chance leaving the tender connected killed the battery - requiring replacement.
Please explain why you think that leaving the CTEK charger (not a tender, that's a brand name) would cause it to kill the battery. Lots of people here have used the CTEK charger, or the identical charger that's BMW branded, over the last six years and I don't recall anyone saying that it killed their battery. On the contrary, because of the way that the CTEK charger can override the UVP, it has saved many batteries that seemed to be dead.

It's one thing for some forum rando to give his unsupported opinion, but to have a vendor trash a brand based on mere speculation ("there's a chance") borders on irresponsible.

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 11:40 PM   #9
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Please explain why you think that leaving the CTEK charger (not a tender, that's a brand name) would cause it to kill the battery. Lots of people here have used the CTEK charger, or the identical charger that's BMW branded, over the last six years and I don't recall anyone saying that it killed their battery. On the contrary, because of the way that the CTEK charger can override the UVP, it has saved many batteries that seemed to be dead.

It's one thing for some forum rando to give his unsupported opinion, but to have a vendor trash a brand based on mere speculation ("there's a chance") borders on irresponsible.
No one is trashing anything. Settle down.

Depending on the type of charger (CTEK offers multiple) that was used, there is a change the battery was damaged by overcharging - as OP quoted be purchased a lithium-specific charger after the battery failed.

Appreciate 4
      03-24-2021, 09:25 AM   #10
BloomRunsDubs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Depending on the type of charger (CTEK offers multiple) that was used, there is a change the battery was damaged by overcharging - as OP quoted be purchased a lithium-specific charger after the battery failed.
Yes I had the regular CTEK charger (Not lithium) on the car for 4 months. I had no idea it was a lithium battery. That may have damaged my battery.

I tested the voltage and it was next to 0. The battery doesn’t accept the lithium charger. It jumps to stage 7 then stage 1 lights briefly before the red error light comes on.

Anyways thanks everyone for their reply’s! I have tried everything. Looks like I will have to buy the new battery
Appreciate 1
M3SQRD2156.50
      03-24-2021, 11:35 AM   #11
hC1001
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Not sure why you feel the need to attack someone. People do make mistakes. In this situation, he is correct if you wouldve read and understood the OPs situation.
The OP used a lead acid battery charger on a lifepo4 battery. The lifepo4 battery needs a lithium battery charger. The Lead acid battery charger gives too much current for a lifepo4 battery when the voltage is low. A lithium charger gives a low current charge until the battery reaches 12.8v. The lead acid charger can also give too much or too little voltage which can also kill a lifepo4 battery. The target voltage for a lifepo4 battery is 14v but not over 14.6v.
Appreciate 3
tom @ eas8177.50
doug_9992542.50
MDuckie93.00
      03-24-2021, 11:45 AM   #12
speedracerM4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Quote:

Yes I had the regular CTEK charger (Not lithium) on the car for 4 months. I had no idea it was a lithium battery. That may have damaged my battery.

I tested the voltage and it was next to 0. The battery doesn't accept the lithium charger. It jumps to stage 7 then stage 1 lights briefly before the red error light comes on.

Anyways thanks everyone for their reply's! I have tried everything. Looks like I will have to buy the new battery
I did a lot of research before buying a lithium ion charger. I ultimately went with a noco genius 10. It got my original battery back up to 90% and I was able to re-register the battery and turn off the replace battery notification. It's around $100 on amazon and may be worth the gamble over a $2k battery. If it doesn't work, you can always send it back.

Appreciate 2
tom @ eas8177.50
ATLM323.50
      03-24-2021, 12:12 PM   #13
Hoppyumr
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

I also got the NOCO, but the genius 5 charger. I wanted one that could also charge regular batteries. I will say that you have to be careful to make sure it is on the right type of battery when you plug it in or turn it on; it retains the last setting, but still best to check. I also liked that it had a desulfation mode to it to help repair lead acid batteries.
Appreciate 1
tom @ eas8177.50
      03-24-2021, 12:16 PM   #14
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

Quote:
I have tried everything. Looks like I will have to buy the new battery
Good way to show your support for forum vendors: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1809127
Appreciate 1
tom @ eas8177.50
      03-24-2021, 01:34 PM   #15
BloomRunsDubs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedPiston View Post
Good way to show your support for forum vendors: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1809127
Most likely going this route. Waiting on a quote for oem

Thanks
Appreciate 1
tom @ eas8177.50
      03-24-2021, 02:54 PM   #16
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Most likely going this route. Waiting on a quote for oem

Thanks
No problem. Just make sure you register the new battery once its installed.

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 07:41 PM   #17
BloomRunsDubs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No problem. Just make sure you register the new battery once its installed.
Order placed. I will make sure your instructions are followed correctly.

Thanks again!
Appreciate 1
tom @ eas8177.50
      03-25-2021, 03:55 PM   #18
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

My apologies. Apparently reading thoroughly is not my strong suit lately. I also missed the fact that he used his old trickle charger before he bought the CTEK charger. I agree that using a charger not designed for a LiFePo battery was a bad idea and may have contributed to the death of the battery.

Appreciate 2
tom @ eas8177.50
doug_9992542.50
      03-25-2021, 08:24 PM   #19
AlmondJayRoM3
Captain
Rep

The internal battery circuitry has a safety mechanism in the form of a safety switch. In opens when the battery hits 16V. When it’s open you will see 0 V on a multimeter. The safety switches will shut when the battery voltage comes back down to 14.5 volts. Trying to force charge the battery in this condition won’t do a thing.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 09:41 PM   #20
ALCOBENDAS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmondJayRoM3 View Post
The internal battery circuitry has a safety mechanism in the form of a safety switch. In opens when the battery hits 16V. When it’s open you will see 0 V on a multimeter. The safety switches will shut when the battery voltage comes back down to 14.5 volts. Trying to force charge the battery in this condition won’t do a thing.
Had one with 0v, what need to do? Force with 16v? The car left in workshop 2 months and now this.. thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 05:09 AM   #21
AlmondJayRoM3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALCOBENDAS View Post
Had one with 0v, what need to do? Force with 16v? The car left in workshop 2 months and now this.. thanks
It’s worth a shot assuming it went to 0V because of an under voltage condition. Just remember, the bmw lithium battery will also read 0V if the safety switches open in an over voltage condition as in the OP’s case.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 11:48 AM   #22
hC1001
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALCOBENDAS View Post
Jump the car with another car and drive it around. If you get an idrive battery charging error, the battery may be bad.

If not, maybe the battery was in undervoltage shut off mode and after the jump start, you can recharge using a lithium battery charger or driving the car around for a long period of time or using a running car.
Appreciate 0