Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

04-22-2022, 02:31 PM   #1
Samf82m4
Private
Rep
Drives: 15' M4 6MT

Manual F82 throttle unpredictable going slow

Hey Guys, I've had this issue for a while now and I can't tell if it's just "how it is" or there's something off with my car. (2015 M4)

When I'm cruising through town, I occasionally maintain speed (say 25mph) and no matter how much I try and hold a constant speed, I just can't. I have to be either on the pedal or off. This is taken from someone else's thread and it's exactly what I feel:

"Throttle response seems jagged, and unpredictable. I can touch the gas to get started and feel like I'm getting almost no gas at all, until it finally kicks in almost randomly. And I mean *no gas*, like hard to hit 15 miles an hour. Once it gets going, everything is great. "

If I'm slowly accelerating, I definitely feel the cutout of power and then all of a sudden BAM the car starts accelerating again and it's super jerky.

Only difference is that every post I find regarding this is for DCT cars. Not sure what I can check or diagnose in this case. Has anyone else experienced this?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2022, 02:52 PM   #2
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samf82m4 View Post
Hey Guys, I've had this issue for a while now and I can't tell if it's just "how it is" or there's something off with my car. (2015 M4)

When I'm cruising through town, I occasionally maintain speed (say 25mph) and no matter how much I try and hold a constant speed, I just can't. I have to be either on the pedal or off. This is taken from someone else's thread and it's exactly what I feel:

"Throttle response seems jagged, and unpredictable. I can touch the gas to get started and feel like I'm getting almost no gas at all, until it finally kicks in almost randomly. And I mean *no gas*, like hard to hit 15 miles an hour. Once it gets going, everything is great. "

If I'm slowly accelerating, I definitely feel the cutout of power and then all of a sudden BAM the car starts accelerating again and it's super jerky.

Only difference is that every post I find regarding this is for DCT cars. Not sure what I can check or diagnose in this case. Has anyone else experienced this?
Hmm, can't say I relate. Perhaps something similar I get is the powertrain buckling and jolting when I or the cruise control are just very slightly & slowly touching the throttle to maintain slow speed, e.g., 30 mph on a slightly downhill section of the road, like, when it just needs a wee bit of gas to keep it at 30. The 'cure' I've found is to quickly touch the throttle instead of slowly. It's weird and quirky, this car. Sometimes, I wonder if it's all broken.
      08-06-2022, 03:25 AM   #3
HandlerFahrer
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible

Notchy throttle

I searched in Google to see if anyone else has experienced this and here you are! I am experiencing the exact same issue with my 2015 M4. No matter how slow and smooth I push the throttle, I get this sort of jerky (not dramatic) throttle situation where if I am just driving slow or even at speeds of 45 mph or so and when I let off the throttle it's like the car all of a sudden releases the throttle at once instead of smoothly. Then, when I hit the gas slow and smooth its like there is a dead space and then a slight jerk, again like the car hesitates putting the throttle on then sort of releases it in a notchy response. It's exactly what you are experiencing as well.
Have you found any solution to this or if it is just a normal operation for our F8X cars? I am thinking of bringing it to the dealer but I already know what they are likely going to say. I would rather the car not do this now that I have zeroed in on it, it does bug me :-(
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 12:28 PM   #4
Samf82m4
Private
Rep
Drives: 15' M4 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandlerFahrer View Post
I searched in Google to see if anyone else has experienced this and here you are! I am experiencing the exact same issue with my 2015 M4. No matter how slow and smooth I push the throttle, I get this sort of jerky (not dramatic) throttle situation where if I am just driving slow or even at speeds of 45 mph or so and when I let off the throttle it's like the car all of a sudden releases the throttle at once instead of smoothly. Then, when I hit the gas slow and smooth its like there is a dead space and then a slight jerk, again like the car hesitates putting the throttle on then sort of releases it in a notchy response. It's exactly what you are experiencing as well.
Have you found any solution to this or if it is just a normal operation for our F8X cars? I am thinking of bringing it to the dealer but I already know what they are likely going to say. I would rather the car not do this now that I have zeroed in on it, it does bug me :-(
I should have followed up on this thread. I brought my M4 to the dealership for a software update and it fixed the issue Steering and suspension also feels much smoother. Definitely worth the 250$

New version installed was F020-22-03-552
Original version F020-15-03-503
Appreciate 1