Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

01-15-2017, 03:33 AM   #1
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Who went from non-ZCP to ZCP?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I'm wondering what I am missing having bought when I did instead of waiting a few months for the ZCP.

I love the seats on the ZCP, but what are the other differences besides the seats and wheels? Is it noticeably faster?

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2017, 06:42 AM   #2
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
I love the seats on the ZCP, but what are the other differences besides the seats and wheels?
This part is answered in the very first sticky thread at the top of the forum:

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1214853

Quote:
Is it noticeably faster?
This has been discussed at length in other threads too. The added power comes near the top of the power band so it isn't necessarily used as often as you might think. But, as you can see from the list of features in the above thread, there is more to the package than just a little more power.

If you Google "site:f80.bimmerpost.com ZCP" you'll find hours of reading material. Doing the same with "Competition Package" might turn up additional results too.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2017, 07:52 AM   #3
dustin0479
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

I have not driven a zcp but opted against it after reading around. From most of the reading the additional hp is not really noticeable except top end pull. Downsides seemed to be more road noise and more rigid ride.

I was not a fan of the seats personally, and the wheels look like something off a mid 80's Volvo. My only wish was that the black wheels came in 20's
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 12:11 AM   #4
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

I had a 2016 non ZCP for a little less than a year and then I upgraded to a 2017 ZCP car.

The comp pack does not seem faster, but the power definitely comes on in a more linear sort of way. That huge swell at 4000 rpm my 2016 had is gone and to me the real power comes on earlier in the rev range. The car also handles a LOT better, and it hooks up better coming out of corners hard. Overall it feels more refined, much more refined actually. The new exhaust definitely sounds better, burbles more. I love the wheels. Some folks don't like them. Overall the look of the car is vastly improved.

I think BMW did a lot of tweaking. It was apparent to me because I drove the original F80 M3 for almost a year, and the improvements were immediately apparent.

If I felt it was marketing hype, I would be honest and tell you so. I have driven BMW's for more than 30 years. Trust me on this one, you want the ZCP.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 05:05 AM   #5
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Quote:
I'm wondering what I am missing having bought when I did instead of waiting a few months for the ZCP.

I love the seats on the ZCP, but what are the other differences besides the seats and wheels? Is it noticeably faster?
Every ZCP iteration this happens. We engage in the same fruitless debates. And the answer is always the same.

No, it's not faster. No, it doesn't sound any better. The software tweaks and throttle mapping may make it seem either more powerful or sharper, but hardly of any significance.

YES IT IS WORTH IT. EVERYTIME!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 06:53 AM   #6
reginoc
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post
I had a 2016 non ZCP for a little less than a year and then I upgraded to a 2017 ZCP car.

The comp pack does not seem faster, but the power definitely comes on in a more linear sort of way. That huge swell at 4000 rpm my 2016 had is gone and to me the real power comes on earlier in the rev range. The car also handles a LOT better, and it hooks up better coming out of corners hard. Overall it feels more refined, much more refined actually. The new exhaust definitely sounds better, burbles more. I love the wheels. Some folks don't like them. Overall the look of the car is vastly improved.

I think BMW did a lot of tweaking. It was apparent to me because I drove the original F80 M3 for almost a year, and the improvements were immediately apparent.

If I felt it was marketing hype, I would be honest and tell you so. I have driven BMW's for more than 30 years. Trust me on this one, you want the ZCP.

+1
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 07:17 AM   #7
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo View Post
Every ZCP iteration this happens. We engage in the same fruitless debates. And the answer is always the same.

No, it's not faster. No, it doesn't sound any better. The software tweaks and throttle mapping may make it seem either more powerful or sharper, but hardly of any significance.

I mean they do make 20whp more on the dyno so they should be a tiny bit faster. The base zcp tune also has much better fueling for a jb4 type solution. It definitely sounds better due to hardware and software changes. Your first point was correct though about the fruitless debates.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 09:20 AM   #8
mercedesc63
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 02 BMW Z3M Coupe S54 Slicktop

Quote:

:
      01-16-2017, 12:09 PM   #9
Shadopadla
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post

This makes me glad I opted for ZCP instead of Ind exterior color
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 03:36 PM   #10
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

It doesn't sound any better? Apparently, you haven't heard the two, especially side by side. Although I have the ZCP, I'm not biased since I have the MPE and my car sounds just like a Non-ZCP with MPE plus the burbles. However, stock ZCP exhaust sounds significantly better than stock Non-ZCP exhaust.
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2017, 03:40 PM   #11
TurboSid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4Cx BSM/FR

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
I had non-zcp for 2.5 yrs and 32k miles. Loving the ZCP upgrade. I feel like the seats are more comfy and the exhaust sounds the way every F80/82 should sound from the factory.

I have 2500 miles and just now starting to really open her up but the butt dyno says its about the same as my non-zcp. I did dyno stock 441whp/427tq

2022 BSM/FR M4 Competition X-Drive
2017 MW/SO M4 ZCP [SOLD] • 2015 MW/SO M4 M-DCT FBO [SOLD] • 2011 AW/CR 335is DCT FBO [SOLD] • 2008 AW/CR 335i 6MT FBO [SOLD]
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 03:50 PM   #12
WestBankM4
First Lieutenant
Palestine
Rep
Drives: '19 M4CS

For the engine (software/mapping) and suspension (hardware/software) upgrades alone it's worth it.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 03:58 PM   #13
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
I mean they do make 20whp more on the dyno so they should be a tiny bit faster. The base zcp tune also has much better fueling for a jb4 type solution. It definitely sounds better due to hardware and software changes. Your first point was correct though about the fruitless debates.
That's good info! I was wondering if anyone had feedback from a JB4 pre-comp pack into a JB4 CP since the biggest thing seems to be "linear/more smooth throttle." I wondered if that would feel different with the tune. . .

I love the JB4 its such a subtle beast until you stomp on the gas.

I doubt sincerely* I'll end up owning an F80 CP since my lease ends in December this year. I'll very likely end up picking up a 4-5 month swap-a-lease on something absurd and AWD for the winter (x5m maybe?) and then scheduling ED on a F90 M5 come spring/summer time .

That said - - - - I only just learned MB and Audi offer ED as well, and an RS4 Avant (should they do it) or an E63 S are also up there on my list. Since I'm gonna finance instead of lease this time around there isn't as much incentive for the BMW (BMWs lease rates slaughter the other 2).

I've already gotten over the fact that its AWD and not a 6 speed, but I'm enjoying rowing my gears extra hard while I can.

I'm definitely going individual exterior. I think I've made up my mind.

m340ix Mineral Grey/Tacora Red
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2017, 04:01 PM   #14
DL3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
Quote:
Quote:

It doesn't sound any better? Apparently, you haven't heard the two, especially side by side. Although I have the ZCP, I'm not biased since I have the MPE and my car sounds just like a Non-ZCP with MPE plus the burbles. However, stock ZCP exhaust sounds significantly better than stock Non-ZCP exhaust.
Most encouraging, my ZCP order has been placed & love everything included but my main concern has been the seats, been hearing mixed reviews. Your glowing review gives me confidence that they'll be good, right??
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 04:17 PM   #15
blinkme323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Had a 2016 without ZCP and moved to a 2017 with ZCP due to a killer deal. That being said, I find it to be worth every penny. There's really no downside that I can see thus far.
      01-16-2017, 05:56 PM   #16
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DL3 View Post
Most encouraging, my ZCP order has been placed & love everything included but my main concern has been the seats, been hearing mixed reviews. Your glowing review gives me confidence that they'll be good, right??
My previous 3 series had sport seats with no lumbar support so I'm used to living without lumbar support. I find the ZCP seats highly supportive and comfortable. I did 13-14 hour roundtrip (7 hour each way, almost non-stop) with my ZCP and never once felt uncomfortable or any sort of back pain. However, this might depend on the person (if you have any chronic back pain etc). That being said, I think ZCP offers improvements over Non-ZCP in various areas and is worth every penny as long as you set your expectations right.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 06:05 PM   #17
DL3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DL3 View Post
My previous 3 series had sport seats with no lumbar support so I'm used to living without lumbar support. I find the ZCP seats highly supportive and comfortable. I did 13-14 hour roundtrip (7 hour each way, almost non-stop) with my ZCP and never once felt uncomfortable or any sort of back pain. However, this might depend on the person (if you have any chronic back pain etc). That being said, I think ZCP offers improvements over Non-ZCP in various areas and is worth every penny as long as you set your expectations right.
Thanks, to be frank... coming out of a 335is with like you no adjustable lumbar and dirty rotten RFT's I would think moving forward with CP seats & traditional rubber, gotta be better. BTW I opted for the 437's instead of 666'ers.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 11:15 PM   #18
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianeck View Post
That's good info! I was wondering if anyone had feedback from a JB4 pre-comp pack into a JB4 CP since the biggest thing seems to be "linear/more smooth throttle." I wondered if that would feel different with the tune. . .

I love the JB4 its such a subtle beast until you stomp on the gas.

I doubt sincerely* I'll end up owning an F80 CP since my lease ends in December this year. I'll very likely end up picking up a 4-5 month swap-a-lease on something absurd and AWD for the winter (x5m maybe?) and then scheduling ED on a F90 M5 come spring/summer time .

That said - - - - I only just learned MB and Audi offer ED as well, and an RS4 Avant (should they do it) or an E63 S are also up there on my list. Since I'm gonna finance instead of lease this time around there isn't as much incentive for the BMW (BMWs lease rates slaughter the other 2).

I've already gotten over the fact that its AWD and not a 6 speed, but I'm enjoying rowing my gears extra hard while I can.

I'm definitely going individual exterior. I think I've made up my mind.
M5? Everyone I know that went from an M3 to the M5 regrets it, especially since the F80 M3 is a pretty comfortable car.
Appreciate 0