proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

09-03-2015, 12:39 PM   #1
VinnyA320
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Speed Limit Info adaptor Install (no KAFAS)

I purchased the adaptor from: custom retrofit .ro/bmw-speed-limit-info-activator?search=speed limit

I didn't feel the need to order drivers assistance when I ordered my F80 earlier this year but I thought having the speed limit info available would be pretty cool. Also, you can always deselect it in iDrive when unwanted. This install uses an adaptor that uses the GPS navigation database and gets the speed limit info from there with no need for the KAFAS camera which comes with the drivers assiatance package. Also to note, I am in the US so some in other countries may want to make sure this will work with their GPS database.

Well guys, I got this installed and it works great!

I was planning on making a guide but the process was pretty simple. I installed mine by removing the instrument cluster on my '15 F80 M3. There are 2 hex screws that have to be removed at the inner top of the cluster and after that I was able to pull the instrument cluster out. Once I had access to that back I noted the 3 plugs and unplugged them and was then able to remove the instrument cluster and set it aside so I had full access to the wire bundles. (see pic) Also to note, the one wire bundle covering was attached to the back of the instrument cluster by a plastic hook, so be careful when disconnecting the wires and getting the cluster out to set aside. I used some double sided tape to attach the SLI adaptor inside so it wouldn't rattle and also cut the unused wires shorter and taped them off. They are not used and the documentation properly shows you the wires which are used and unused for the install. (The extra wire I cut is pictured next to the wire taps)

Once I had access to the wires I was unsure which pins to tap as the instructions provided only tell you which wires need to be tapped and not the location. I pulled out my handy voltmeter and figured out the pins for the power and ground which matched the Chinese instruction version so I went with the locations they used for the CAN HI and LOW as well. The pin locations are as follows:

Pin 1: Power
Pin 7: Ground
Pin 6: CAN HI
Pin 12: CAN LOW

I bought some wire taps at Lowes and used them, although ideally I would have liked a smaller sort of tap besides these this is all I could find locally at home. (see pic)
Note, be careful when tapping the wires as you need to leave space by the plug when you plug it back into the instrument cluster or it will be very tight to insert once done. Also, my wire bundle covering (black wrap around the wires) only left me a few inches of room to play with when doing my wire taps so its a fairly small area to work with.

Once the taps were done I confirmed I had power with my voltmeter to the SLI adaptor and closed everything back up. make sure you insert the wire bundle into the plastic guides at the back of the instrument cluster as I forgot and had to redo it the next day.

All that was left was Adding 8TH to FA and then VO coding HU_NBT and KOMBI and it was mission accomplished!

My local smaller side roads show invalid/no data for speed but once I got on the larger roads the speed limit info came up immediately and works as advertised.

Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Last edited by VinnyA320; 09-03-2015 at 02:57 PM..
Appreciate 5
AIRPOWER1682.50
      09-03-2015, 01:19 PM   #2
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Awesome!

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 1
      09-03-2015, 01:31 PM   #3
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Nice write up!

BTW, that is also a perfect pic to show how much more visible the new M-HUD tachometer is, since the old one would be in the same color as the outlines of the shift lights.
      09-03-2015, 01:41 PM   #4
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

This is incredible. Thanks for sharing. +1 for you.
Appreciate 1
      09-03-2015, 04:48 PM   #5
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
I know this will sound like a very stupid question, but what is this option about? Does it display the road speed limit? And why is that very useful (not being obtuse), just curious! I am always aware of road speed limit because maybe we have so many speed traps and in areas where I drive I have it memorized by heart. Or is there more to it?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 07:33 PM   #6
VinnyA320
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad
I know this will sound like a very stupid question, but what is this option about? Does it display the road speed limit? And why is that very useful (not being obtuse), just curious! I am always aware of road speed limit because maybe we have so many speed traps and in areas where I drive I have it memorized by heart. Or is there more to it?
yes, it displays the speed limit on the road you are driving on which is based upon your GPS position. for those of us who did not order drivers assistance this is the only viable option that we have since we do not have the KAFAS camera installed. drivers assistance adds the KAFAS camera which does this and also is able to read speed limit signs in real time therefore adjusting the speed on local roads for construction and also for roads which may not have Gps speed limit info. it's purely an option and also a lot cheaper than spending $1k+ for the whole package. this mod cost me all of $200 for the SLI adaptor.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 07:40 AM   #7
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
It's not 100% accurate either, at least not the OEM version as over here, some posted signs on side roads are relatively close to the street in which you're traveling, and at an angle that is basically facing your direction of travel. This camera is seemingly pretty wide angle, so it will pick up that sign, albeit incorrectly. A GPS version would potentially be more accurate assuming it too knows what the limits actually are for the road you're on.
The OEM speed limit display uses both the GPS info from the navigation system and the info from the camera: the camera is used to recognize changes in speed limits that might not be reflected in the navigation data. Thus, it should more accurate than a GPS-only system.
      09-22-2015, 10:46 PM   #8
AxisF80
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Which wires do you splice into? Are they color coordinated the same as the wires on the adapter?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 08:59 PM   #9
VinnyA320
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisF80 View Post
Which wires do you splice into? Are they color coordinated the same as the wires on the adapter?
You don't splice any wires only tap them. The colors will not necessarily match. The key to the whole deal is tapping the correct wires that are at each of the 4 pins. see my previous posts on this. take your time and its a pretty easy install.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 12:06 PM   #10
Bmwguy11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 YMB M3

I am curious, are there other "driver assistance" type things that could be retrofitted and/or coded into the F8X cars?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 10:38 PM   #11
Vectors2final
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 YMB/SS ZCP

I've been mentioning this for well over a year.... what if you have the KAFAS camera from the LED package?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 10:45 PM   #12
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectors2final View Post
I've been mentioning this for well over a year.... what if you have the KAFAS camera from the LED package?
If you have the Lighting package without the Driver Assistance package, you have the FLA camera, not the KAFAS camera: the former does not support speed limit recognition.
      10-23-2015, 10:48 PM   #13
Vectors2final
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Ahhh.... shit.

First to actually answer that.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 08:17 AM   #14
VinnyA320
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectors2final
Ahhh.... shit.

First to actually answer that.
I only have the led package and not the drivers assistance package and I was able to get the retrofit done. However, the only speed limit info I get is from the gps data while the drivers assistance with the kafas camera will read more speed limit info on top of the gps data. What I've noticed is I get any speed limit info from roads that show up at .5 mile range or greater on my gps. I think Dom already answered your question though. Sorry, too early for me this morning ;-)
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2015, 10:09 AM   #15
Vectors2final
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Not sure I'll do this unless I feel like ripping my cluster out.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 09:37 AM   #16
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
This is pretty cool, I wonder what that little box does, probably something similar to what CIC and NBT emulators do.
      10-25-2015, 10:52 AM   #17
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithf32 View Post
This is pretty cool, I wonder what that little box does, probably something similar to what CIC and NBT emulators do.
It probably just takes the speed limit information (SLI) from the controller area network (CAN) where the navigation system is located and duplicates it on the CAN where the KAFAS camera is located, so as to simulate the SLI from the camera.
      10-25-2015, 10:54 AM   #18
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnc02 View Post
It probably just takes the speed limit information (SLI) from the controller area network (CAN) where the navigation system is located and duplicates it on the CAN where the KAFAS camera is located, so as to simulate the SLI from the camera.
I was reading around and have found info similar to this.

Too bad they want so much money for it, this is the kind of thing that I would blow a hundred bucks on, but not more, considering there really isn't a time where I can recall that I didn't know the speed limit of the road I was on.
      12-21-2015, 06:21 PM   #19
beppeM3+123d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw m3 dct + 123d e81

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyA320
I purchased the adaptor from: custom retrofit .ro/bmw-speed-limit-info-activator?search=speed limit

I didn't feel the need to order drivers assistance when I ordered my F80 earlier this year but I thought having the speed limit info available would be pretty cool. Also, you can always deselect it in iDrive when unwanted. This install uses an adaptor that uses the GPS navigation database and gets the speed limit info from there with no need for the KAFAS camera which comes with the drivers assiatance package. Also to note, I am in the US so some in other countries may want to make sure this will work with their GPS database.

I was planning on making a guide but the process was pretty simple. I installed mine by removing the instrument cluster on my '15 F80 M3. There are 2 hex screws that have to be removed at the inner top of the cluster and after that I was able to pull the instrument cluster out. Once I had access to that back I noted the 3 plugs and unplugged them and was then able to remove the instrument cluster and set it aside so I had full access to the wire bundles. (see pic) Also to note, the one wire bundle covering was attached to the back of the instrument cluster by a plastic hook, so be careful when disconnecting the wires and getting the cluster out to set aside. I used some double sided tape to attach the SLI adaptor inside so it wouldn't rattle and also cut the unused wires shorter and taped them off. They are not used and the documentation properly shows you the wires which are used and unused for the install. (The extra wire I cut is pictured next to the wire taps)

Once I had access to the wires I was unsure which pins to tap as the instructions provided only tell you which wires need to be tapped and not the location. I pulled out my handy voltmeter and figured out the pins for the power and ground which matched the Chinese instruction version so I went with the locations they used for the CAN HI and LOW as well. The pin locations are as follows:

I bought some wire taps at Lowes and used them, although ideally I would have liked a smaller sort of tap besides these this is all I could find locally at home. (see pic)
Note, be careful when tapping the wires as you need to leave space by the plug when you plug it back into the instrument cluster or it will be very tight to insert once done. Also, my wire bundle covering (black wrap around the wires) only left me a few inches of room to play with when doing my wire taps so its a fairly small area to work with.

Once the taps were done I confirmed I had power with my voltmeter to the SLI adaptor and closed everything back up. make sure you insert the wire bundle into the plastic guides at the back of the instrument cluster as I forgot and had to redo it the next day.

All that was left was Adding 8TH to FA and then VO coding HU_NBT and KOMBI and it was mission accomplished!

My local smaller side roads show invalid/no data for speed but once I got on the larger roads the speed limit info came up immediately and works as advertised.

Hope this helps!
Hi, i have installed on my f32. I have read the instruction from carsystem and when you have to choose the slave, before installing, i am not sure what position. What position have you put on yours? If i understand well you dont'have kafas at all
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 06:36 PM   #20
VinnyA320
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beppeM3+123d
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyA320

Hope this helps!
Hi, i have installed on my f32. I have read the instruction from carsystem and when you have to choose the slave, before installing, i am not sure what position. What position have you put on yours? If i understand well you dont'have kafas at all
I do not have kafas. Only fla. honestly i would have to look at the sheet that was supplied for the correct dip switch settings. They are different since you have the kafas camera. I can check the paper if youd like tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 02:44 PM   #21
everywill
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90, R56, F30

Question

Awesome.

Pretty interested in this. Just one question. Will this feature give you an option to turn on/off acoustic warning when speeding? Or it just a piece of supplement info and doesn't give warning at it.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 07:06 PM   #22
VinnyA320
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by everywill
Awesome.

Pretty interested in this. Just one question. Will this feature give you an option to turn on/off acoustic warning when speeding? Or it just a piece of supplement info and doesn't give warning at it.
It just gives a box with the speed limit info. You can disable/enable it in idrive. There are no audible warnings
Appreciate 0