ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

02-17-2016, 01:07 PM   #45
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
MPE will always be the most popular because it is offered by BMW

Active is the newest exhaust and since its release it has been dominating the market (for a good reason )

REMUS had a very good run when it was first released but some made the mistake of running it with caltess downpipes (which is not recommended at all) so it got a few bad reviews that slowed down the sales.

It was mostly vendors mistake for not warning their customers about this
Ahhh ok.

I have always wondered why Remus isn't better known or used. Of all of the videos so far, I would put Remus above MPE and Eisenmann in terms of exhaust note w/o DPs. It sounds that good without DPs.

I have to deal with the SMOG inspection if I go Remus and their Mid Pipes. (I bought my car, I'm fully intent on keeping it.) But as Justin keeps telling me, I shouldn't worry about that until years later.
      02-17-2016, 01:09 PM   #46
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
Ahhh ok.

I have always wondered why Remus isn't better known or used. Of all of the videos so far, I would put Remus above MPE and Eisenmann in terms of exhaust note w/o DPs. It sounds that good without DPs.

I have to deal with the SMOG inspection if I go Remus and their Mid Pipes. (I bought my car, I'm fully intent on keeping it.) But as Justin keeps telling me, I shouldn't worry about that until years later.
If you are looking for a loud exhaust while keeping your stock DP, REMUS is one of the best options

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 2
      02-17-2016, 01:18 PM   #47
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If you are looking for a loud exhaust while keeping your stock DP, REMUS is one of the best options
How loud do you think MPE and Full Remus compares? Like is Full Remus louder? Or just axel back?

To be honest I don't tend to look for HP gains in exhaust. I literally find it pointless. There are far better and less expensive ways of doing so then trying to squeeze out HPs from exhausts.
      02-17-2016, 01:27 PM   #48
AutoTalent
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 6mt | e60 M5 6mt

Quote:
How loud do you think MPE and Full Remus compares? Like is Full Remus louder? Or just axel back?

To be honest I don't tend to look for HP gains in exhaust. I literally find it pointless. There are far better and less expensive ways of doing so then trying to squeeze out HPs from exhausts.
Full Remus is for sure louder.
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2016, 01:41 PM   #49
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Full remus is louder (catback)
Mpe is louder than Remus axle back

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 02:16 PM   #50
hdubf80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 ///M3 AW/SO/DCT

I want to get the remus catback but the member from the classifieds hasn't responded. My other options are IPE F1 im over the axel back systems. MPE and Akra are just insanely priced...
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 02:24 PM   #51
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdubf80 View Post
I want to get the remus catback but the member from the classifieds hasn't responded. My other options are IPE F1 im over the axel back systems. MPE and Akra are just insanely priced...
MPE is different from Akra.

Akra Slip-On (aka rear only, axle back etc) barely changes your car's exhaust note from Stock. You add Evo means a larger change but Akra Evo doesn't sound as good as it would be with most other Ms and the biggest elephant with Akra Evo is how insanely priced it is.

MPE will keep your emissions in tact because it keeps most of your cats in place. It's also some what down to DPs as far as I know. You'll be able to get better deals with MPE though. It will be cheaper by quite a bit.

You know why I know? I been jumping about regarding this choice for damn near 3 months now so.

Edit: Hmm I think MPE goes down to Mid-Pipes sorry.
      02-17-2016, 02:44 PM   #52
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by F16RCE View Post
I have spent several weeks going mad on this very subject and have probably annoyed the hell out of every vendor sponsor on here with my many questions.

The summary of my findings is that you will really only get two types of noise i.e. Deep vs high pitched. AWE, AA, Akra, Remus are more at the deeper end with IPE, FI and Armytrix at the other end with higher pitch noise.

You then need to decide if you just want a moderate noise level all the time of whether you want to have extra loud and OEM loud. If you want the extra loud option get a valved exhaust.

Then it all comes to price point.

All said and done I personally think the Remus is a great all round purchase as looks awesome, has the valves and the noise is good. The only down side is the brand image and maybe that isn't actually justified with this product.
Quote:
That really is the only issue with Remus is that it isn't as well known. Eisenmann, Akra, MPE and AA overshadows it despite how great Remus actually sounds.

I would say MPE but given MPE is OEM I'm not sure how you feel about it, maybe the same I do. Its OEM :P
Remus is a very well known company here in Europe. They supply both for tuning and auto manufacturers. AC Schnitzer exhausts are made by Remus for instance.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 02:59 PM   #53
David@ActiveAutowerke
United_States
Rep

Drives: M2

In addition to the sound, our exhaust system does increase performance even if you are using the stock downpipes. Our single mid-pipe design without cats increases exhaust velocity and also allows the turbos to spool quicker (not to mention the rasp elimination). This is evident in our dyno chart, which was performed on the same car on the same day, with and without our full exhaust system. These gains will be amplified if you add catless downpipes to the equation.

Appreciate 1
      02-17-2016, 03:04 PM   #54
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
That really is the only issue with Remus is that it isn't as well known. Eisenmann, Akra, MPE and AA overshadows it despite how great Remus actually sounds.

I would say MPE but given MPE is OEM I'm not sure how you feel about it, maybe the same I do. Its OEM :P
In North America maybe. But Remus has existed for over 25 years and is rather well known in Europe. I had a Remus exhaust on one of my VW GTi back in the nineties .

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 03:05 PM   #55
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by David@ActiveAutowerke View Post
In addition to the sound, our exhaust system does increase performance even if you are using the stock downpipes. Our single mid-pipe design without cats increases exhaust velocity and also allows the turbos to spool quicker (not to mention the rasp elimination). This is evident in our dyno chart, which was performed on the same car on the same day, with and without our full exhaust system. These gains will be amplified if you add catless downpipes to the equation.
The challenge is for ones that desire to remain emissions compliant.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 03:12 PM   #56
mephiska
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Garage List
I'm in CA and considering exhausts as well. I don't want to go too aggressive and will be sticking with the stock DP's. I'm leaning toward the Remus system right now, it seems priced right, and the sound seems workable for my neighborhood.

What's the difference between the Remus Cat-back and Axle-back systems in terms of sound? What else does the cat-back eliminate?
      02-17-2016, 03:13 PM   #57
David@ActiveAutowerke
United_States
Rep

Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
The challenge is for ones that desire to remain emissions compliant.
The primary catalytic converters are in the downpipes. There are no oxygen sensors detecting the secondary cats. However, if you need to pass a sniffer test you might have an issue.

That said, the majority of the aftermarket options for the F8X platform also have catless mid sections.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 04:04 PM   #58
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mephiska View Post
I'm in CA and considering exhausts as well. I don't want to go too aggressive and will be sticking with the stock DP's. I'm leaning toward the Remus system right now, it seems priced right, and the sound seems workable for my neighborhood.

What's the difference between the Remus Cat-back and Axle-back systems in terms of sound? What else does the cat-back eliminate?
My understanding is there isn't a Remus "cat-back" per say.

The Remus "Sport" replaces the rear section only (axle-back) while the Remus "Race" replaces the mid resonators and secondary cats.

https://www.remus.eu/car.html?vehicleId=1-4-393-1500

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 04:12 PM   #59
HRE_Wheels
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by drftorres View Post
What is the best exhaust sound and performance? Forget about price! Would like feedback. Thanks
If you're looking for the best exhaust, with the best performance, you'll often not see the 'best' price if you're referring to something inexpensive. For those who are interested in only the best system, producing a significant amount of power, dropping a significant amount of weight, with the most intelligent design out there, there is no other alternative, Akrapovič is the system to go with. Akrapovič is the benchmark in the exhaust industry so if you're looking for the top of the line, no compromise system, this would be it.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask
Appreciate 2
      02-17-2016, 04:19 PM   #60
BuLoOoSki
Colonel
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

The AA exhaust has been my favorite, I just wish they came with valves.
2015 BMW F80 M3: Tractive EDC Suspension / Dinan Anti-Roll Bars / GC Camber Plates / KMP Dual Diff Mount / Girodisc Rotors / GT4 Brake Cooling Kit / PTF Flash Tune / Eisenmann Downpipes / CSF Heat Exchanger / BMS Charge Pipes
2007 BMW E92 335i (SOLD): BMS JB4 / Quaife LSD / Riss Racing DPs / Helix Intercooler / BMS Intake / STETT Charge Pipe / Forge DVs
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 04:29 PM   #61
Kr3st
Wheel Whore
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuLoOoSki View Post
The AA exhaust has been my favorite, I just wish they came with valves.
For what reason? Valves aren't necessary.

It's tame, yet noticeable when daily driving. Not to the point of annoyance, but to the point of, you hear what you're paying for.

Then when you want to hear it... Just push that right foot a little further.
      02-17-2016, 04:30 PM   #62
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
In North America maybe. But Remus has existed for over 25 years and is rather well known in Europe. I had a Remus exhaust on one of my VW GTi back in the nineties .
Exactly!

Quote:
My understanding is there isn't a Remus "cat-back" per say.

The Remus "Sport" replaces the rear section only (axle-back) while the Remus "Race" replaces the mid resonators and secondary cats.

https://www.remus.eu/car.html?vehicleId=1-4-393-1500

Look at the US remus website not the European one
They have 2 models
1st model is the axle back only
second model is the axle back + midpipes making it a catback exhaust

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 04:35 PM   #63
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr3st View Post

It's tame, yet noticeable when daily driving. Not to the point of annoyance, but to the point of, you hear what you're paying for.

This reminds me a lot of the flex section on catless downpipes... It an awesome feature but not necessary with the absence of cats

If exhaust is not super loud, valves are not needed. So why pay for it?

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 04:37 PM   #64
DarrinYuan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 bmw f80

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRE_Wheels View Post
If you're looking for the best exhaust, with the best performance, you'll often not see the 'best' price if you're referring to something inexpensive. For those who are interested in only the best system, producing a significant amount of power, dropping a significant amount of weight, with the most intelligent design out there, there is no other alternative, Akrapovič is the system to go with. Akrapovič is the benchmark in the exhaust industry so if you're looking for the top of the line, no compromise system, this would be it.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask
I just order Akra evo system,I total agree with you.Akra is the best one.
Appreciate 2
      02-17-2016, 04:44 PM   #65
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrinYuan View Post
I just order Akra evo system,I total agree with you.Akra is the best one.
Completely agree. Valves and all.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 04:52 PM   #66
BuLoOoSki
Colonel
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr3st View Post

I do see your point, but to each their own. If I'm running catless downpipes as well, I'd like to be able to go into quiet mode. I don't think valves are a "necessity", but it is MY preference to have them

Quote:
This reminds me a lot of the flex section on catless downpipes... It an awesome feature but not necessary with the absence of cats

If exhaust is not super loud, valves are not needed. So why pay for it?
Since you work in sales I expect you out of most people to understand the fact that people have different tastes, preferences, and simply like having the option. Under your argument then BMW were idiots for even having valves in the first place because their stock exhaust isn't particularly loud, nor should anyone get EDC because "if the ride is not that harsh with the standard suspension, then why pay for EDC?".

Same thing applies to everything else we probably own or pay for in life, including the phone and/or laptop you're using to respond here. Most likely you don't need half the power and features of that device.
2015 BMW F80 M3: Tractive EDC Suspension / Dinan Anti-Roll Bars / GC Camber Plates / KMP Dual Diff Mount / Girodisc Rotors / GT4 Brake Cooling Kit / PTF Flash Tune / Eisenmann Downpipes / CSF Heat Exchanger / BMS Charge Pipes
2007 BMW E92 335i (SOLD): BMS JB4 / Quaife LSD / Riss Racing DPs / Helix Intercooler / BMS Intake / STETT Charge Pipe / Forge DVs

Last edited by BuLoOoSki; 02-17-2016 at 04:59 PM..
Appreciate 2