Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

08-28-2020, 10:08 AM   #1
Moondy_MR
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Noob Question in regards to tuning

Hey guys,

I'm new to the whole mods and car stuff. Never really got into it as I wanted to because I was broke and could never afford anything nice. Recently though my luck has turned and I bought a 2017 M3 ZCP!

I have an idea of all the mods I want to put into it but it may take a little due to the price and with things such as Christmas coming up.

So my question is... If I were to get the basic mods I want for the time being (listed below), would just the standard mappings on BM3 suffice until I get my full mods and then have Carry do the tune? Keep in mind I am going to strictly be running oct93 as there is no close E85 fuel near me :/

Basic mods include:
Spark plugs
BMS Elite Intake
VSRF DPs
VSRF Top mount intercooler (until I save up for the CSF I want)

Full list of mods will include the above but additionally:
Remus exhaust
Eventuri Chargepipe
AA Midpipe
PI?
PURE Turbos?
Meth?

Also be aware I am serious a noob when it comes to this stuff. Yes I have been doing research like crazy but even so the acronyms and lingo really throw me off even though I used some above lol.

Thank you in advance to anyone that responds!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 12:20 PM   #2
MJ6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondy_MR View Post
Hey guys,
Basic mods include:
Spark plugs
BMS Elite Intake
VSRF DPs
VSRF Top mount intercooler (until I save up for the CSF I want)
Firstly, congrats on the M3! This platform is truly one of a kind and an absolute beast no matter how you look at it. Enjoy!

Mod wise you have a pretty good start man, so on the opinion side I'll just give you my take for what it's worth.

- Tune wise you can't go wrong with BM3 and their OTS maps as they stand are fantastic. I don't have any personal experience with other stand alone tuners such as MHD or HEX tunes, but I've loved every minute of their Stage 1 and finally Stage 2 tunes.

- A spark plug upgrade is also a good idea if you're planning on running increased boost pressures: generally step colder NGK's running a .20 - .22 gap should suffice.

- Intakes typically come down to personal preference. Many (myself included) are of the opinion that the stock intake box with a carbon filter delete and BMC/K&N filter flows great as it is; many aftermarket systems fail to see any noticeable gains and can occasionally cause Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor issues. Some of them are great under-hood candy though!

- Downpipes are a must if you really want to open her up and are highly recommended if not required for higher horsepower goals and certain "stages" of tunes. One thing to note however is that the elimination of the stock catalytic converters will generally result in an increase in exhaust rasp and drone. In such cases it's usually recommended to utilize a resonated exhaust system designed for use with downpipes to mitigate any potential rasp or drone (unless that's your thing of course).

- Intercooler wise, the stock unit is actually a more than capable piece of engineering: the cooling systems they added to this platform are some of the best I've seen. If you plan on driving it hard at the track or living a quarter-mile at a time, at that point an upgrade may be worth the cost of admission. If not, the stock cooler is more than adequate for every day use.

Regardless of what direction you go, build the car for yourself and no one else. Opinions are like assholes, and everyone has one; what matters most though is that you enjoy the hell out of your car at the end of the day.
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2020, 01:42 PM   #3
hC1001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3

If money is tight, Bootmod3 is the best mod. Just go straight for stage 1 tune. Everything on the car can be stock. I would probably spend the money on maintenance if anything to make sure things are running right.

There are chances of crankhub slip, You can go with bolt capture or bolt capture and locking hub. I plan to stay stage 1 and i installed a bolt capture.

Congrats and have fun with the car.
Appreciate 1
PhatLyfe984.00
      08-28-2020, 01:49 PM   #4
Graves
Sicario
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hC1001 View Post
If money is tight, Bootmod3 is the best mod. Just go straight for stage 1 tune. Everything on the car can be stock. I would probably spend the money on maintenance if anything to make sure things are running right.

There are chances of crankhub slip, You can go with bolt capture or bolt capture and locking hub. I plan to stay stage 1 and i installed a bolt capture.

Congrats and have fun with the car.
I opted to not do the crank hub. Reason being, I spoke to several tuners and they said the competition models, at least 2018, had a locking ring on that pretty much did the same thing. I'm not going to run crazy boost or power on mine, so I'm to worried. Just thought I'd throw that out there. Have you heard the same? Curious what others hear.

I just have Eventuri intakes and the BM3 Stage 1.
      08-28-2020, 09:37 PM   #5
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Congrats on your M!

I would suggest you start with a Single Midpipe and the Stage 1 tune (intake optional at this point, just remove carbon secondary air filters). The Stg1 will give you plenty of power and the single mid will increase volume and reduce rasp. You can get the GTS tune at no extra cost, it's a great daily driver. Spark plugs only need changing at 30K intervals if not using E85. Catless or catted DPs will cause you a CEL (BM3 can remove) but you have your annual inspection to deal with. Need factory cats to Pass.

On the BMS intake maybe consider MST brand at almost the same price, but you get some heat protection.

CSF top intercoolers have a fitment issue where it can be hard to remove your oil filter cap. Just be aware of that. Our S55 has great cooling, and your locality is not crazy hot.

Eventuri CPs are like $2K and (get this) they are only tested to 26PSI. Factory plastic CPs rarely pop. Silicone tubes don't crank and don't transfer heat.

Remus rear can...good pick.

When you get used to the Stage 1 you can do the Cary/Paul Custom 93o tune and get happy again.

PI, Turbos and Meth??? Do the crank hub first...and remember Meth is like $10 a gallon. Run the Meth through the PI if you do it.
      08-29-2020, 03:44 AM   #6
Graves
Sicario
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
Congrats on your M!

I would suggest you start with a Single Midpipe and the Stage 1 tune (intake optional at this point, just remove carbon secondary air filters). The Stg1 will give you plenty of power and the single mid will increase volume and reduce rasp. You can get the GTS tune at no extra cost, it's a great daily driver. Spark plugs only need changing at 30K intervals if not using E85. Catless or catted DPs will cause you a CEL (BM3 can remove) but you have your annual inspection to deal with. Need factory cats to Pass.

On the BMS intake maybe consider MST brand at almost the same price, but you get some heat protection.

CSF top intercoolers have a fitment issue where it can be hard to remove your oil filter cap. Just be aware of that. Our S55 has great cooling, and your locality is not crazy hot.

Eventuri CPs are like $2K and (get this) they are only tested to 26PSI. Factory plastic CPs rarely pop. Silicone tubes don't crank and don't transfer heat.

When you get used to the Stage 1 you can do the Cary/Paul Custom 93o tune and get happy again.

PI, Turbos and Meth??? Do the crank hub first...and remember Meth is like $10 a gallon. Run the Meth through the PI if you do it.
No suggestion on CH for stage 1? That's where I'm at now. Do I do it, or not? I have Eventuri intakes and that's it. Wanna put the BM3 Stage 1 on it, but don't want to stop having fun with my car because of it.
      08-29-2020, 08:46 AM   #7
KeyBoy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Congrats on your M!

Does the custom 93 tune from Cary/Paul apply to stock vehicles? Or does it require downpipes?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 10:48 AM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Really good list, very close to the setup we have on the shop's M4 (we also started with OTS bm3 maps, then switched to Cary's custom map)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyBoy View Post
Does the custom 93 tune from Cary/Paul apply to stock vehicles? Or does it require downpipes?
You can have him custom tune a stock car, but the more mods you have the larger the power gap between OTS and custom

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
KeyBoy34.00
      08-29-2020, 04:49 PM   #9
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graves View Post
Quote:
Congrats on your M!

No suggestion on CH for stage 1? That's where I'm at now. Do I do it, or not? I have Eventuri intakes and that's it. Wanna put the BM3 Stage 1 on it, but don't want to stop having fun with my car because of it.
I've run the BPMSport Stage 1+HiFlow for about a year now without CBC. I did a few things when stock to make sure my hub held... in case warranty was needed.
      09-03-2020, 09:28 AM   #10
Moondy_MR
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Congrats on your M!

Okay so I am installing my DPs, intake, and spark plugs next week - do you think I should still go with Stage 1 on BM3? I wanted to go straight to Stage2+
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 04:43 PM   #11
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

It's your hub...your pick...

You could take the Stage 2 and just use torque reduction by gear to keep within safe ranges.
      09-04-2020, 09:25 AM   #12
Moondy_MR
Registered
Rep

Quote:

You could take the Stage 2 and just use torque reduction by gear to keep within safe ranges.
Man this whole crank hub thing gives me anxiety lol - and I meant just stage 2 not stage2+ since thats only for upgraded turbos correct?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 01:05 PM   #13
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondy_MR View Post
Quote:

Man this whole crank hub thing gives me anxiety lol - and I meant just stage 2 not stage2+ since thats only for upgraded turbos correct?
It's the Stg2H tunes that recommend hybrid turbos and hi-flow DPs. The Stg2 only recommends hi-flow DPs. I've read plenty of guys who ran Stg2 on stock DPs too.