Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-29-2020, 10:59 PM   #1
Walmart Parking Lot
Cart Attendant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Shopping Cart Comp

Deciding on the crank hub fix

Which product should I go with? Maximum PSI or Gintani? I've heard Maximum PSI is the go-to but Gintani is a one-piece (which I heard was even better?). I'm looking to push out as much power as possible for the F82 and am trying to find the most reliable and best crank hub.

Here's something I found on Maximum PSI (https://www.***********.com/content....s-single-piece) "The single piece design is more durable. Over time, it will not fatigue like a multi-piece design. When will it fatigue? Who knows, the Maximum PSI stretch bolt will eventually fail or come loose. The Gintani bolt clamping force is simply much, much higher."

Any suggestions? Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 06:53 AM   #2
behindthen0thing
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

From everything I've read Max psi and gitani are equally as good.
The bolt stretch thing sounds like bs. Install either kit with a cbc and you'll be good.
Max psi is a multi piece but there's no way it will slip if you look at the way it interlocks.
Appreciate 1
Maxf80M3174.00
      03-30-2020, 08:16 AM   #3
LINF83
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80

Insane performance crank hub
One piece design
Appreciate 2
chen0.00
      03-31-2020, 05:37 PM   #4
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 AW/SO ZCP

Can we merge this with the crank hub topic. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 07:10 PM   #5
18BMWX5M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

+1 on the insane performance crank hub
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 02:55 PM   #6
Schultz28
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

There is no reason to not go with MaxPSI (now SSR) as it’s the most proven hub on the market.

Do some research, most people run this hub, including some of the fastest/highest HP cars with no issues and everyone has nothing but great things to say about it.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 09:36 PM   #7
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3s and a Red VW

Seems like the Insane or VTT is the best bang for your buck. Most of the guys making big numbers without issues are running the MaxPSI so that's why I chose them.

Honestly, I think all of them are good and will solve the issue, even the V2 from VTT if for a fact they figured out the accelerated teeth wear issue from the V1 batch.
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2020, 11:13 PM   #8
Walmart Parking Lot
Cart Attendant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumbAS55 View Post
Seems like the Insane or VTT is the best bang for your buck. Most of the guys making big numbers without issues are running the MaxPSI so that's why I chose them.

Honestly, I think all of them are good and will solve the issue, even the V2 from VTT if for a fact they figured out the accelerated teeth wear issue from the V1 batch.
Saw some stuff going on with Vargas as a company on the forum. Didn't back the customer. I was going to go with Maximum PSI but ended up with Gintani.
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2020, 10:41 PM   #9
williammm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3 (2016)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walmart Parking Lot View Post
Saw some stuff going on with Vargas as a company on the forum. Didn't back the customer. I was going to go with Maximum PSI but ended up with Gintani.
How is it? Is it good? I am deciding btw Gintani & VTT. I just had a friend overseas who had his MaxPSI CH destroyed.... but it was the 2 pin version.
Appreciate 1
flexspec367.00
      05-31-2020, 05:47 AM   #10
cheveux
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M4

Pure Turbos only uses Gintani. Must be for some reason. But also it's the most expensive solution
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 09:20 AM   #11
4everkidd
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 AY M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by williammm View Post
Quote:
How is it? Is it good? I am deciding btw Gintani & VTT. I just had a friend overseas who had his MaxPSI CH destroyed.... but it was the 2 pin version.
Do you have proof of that claim?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 02:29 PM   #12
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

From what I've read the underlying difference is the full one-piece has the oiling sprocket integrated into the hub, which is more "bulletproof" but slipping an oiling sprocket won't cause Engine damage like slipping the timing chain and maybe banging valves into pistons. Downside of the one-piece is it takes longer to install since the oiling chain needs to be reinstalled onto the new hub.

The multi-pin and spline-lock solutions seem to properly avoid a slip of the timing chain while having an acceptable install effort. The factory oiling sprocket remains. I haven't read or heard of anyone slipping an oiling sprocket and this is the solution I'm scheduling now.

The older single-key hub solutions just moved the weak point from the sprocket washer to the keyway of the new sprocket.
      05-31-2020, 04:54 PM   #13
Bimmer28312
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW N55 335xi

Doing the same with vtt hub fix. Slipped mine last week luckily under low load and it's in Vargas's shop as we speak hopefully get her back by the end of the week. Didn't feel comfortable drilling at all and Vargas's solution guarantees his work plus I have not heard of any issues with the crank hub fix
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 12:20 PM   #14
Walmart Parking Lot
Cart Attendant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I went with the Maximum PSI 4-pin version. Couldn't wait any longer for the Gintani one since they're all on backorder. I also did the VTT CBC.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 04:26 AM   #15
tomlong
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Sedan

The lead mechanic at my local shop who does a full SCH job per week ranked various options. I do not think the shop has an alliance with any particular SCH solution provider to my knowledge. Here is what he told me:

1) Insane (one piece) solution from Lithuania (if I recall correctly) was what he would rank as #1 (best)
2-4) Indicated that it was hard to differentiate between spline lock vs 4-pin vs several others. I presume because no real data exists for post install analysis yet. Also have to think Chicago is a secondary market when compared to LA so the sample size of re-spun crank hubs within one shop's clientele base would be virtually non-existent. To reiterate, this is just my hypothesis. I know nothing about cars.
5) 2-pin solution (not sure who makes that one) was ranked as the worse across what he's installed.

DISCLAIMER: This was a casual conversation that transpired during my visit. Please let me sign a waiver first before any litigation takes place.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 09:24 AM   #16
Jeef
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 335i

Quote:
Quote:
I went with the Maximum PSI 4-pin version. Couldn't wait any longer for the Gintani one since they're all on backorder. I also did the VTT CBC.
they are always on back order.

get your order placed asap if you want a spot. they sell out fast!!
Appreciate 0