Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

12-15-2013, 10:17 AM   #23
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Seems to be a lot of emphysis on the "FORGED" wheels here.
You guys do realize a crappy designed forged wheel could be weaker than a well designed cast wheel right?
What you guys should be paying attention to is if the wheel lis JWL/VIA or TUV certified. Once a wheel is certified, you can have some confidence in it's integrety REGARDLESS of if it's forged or not.

And I'm hoping the black wheels look more like they do on the mini-configurator (more smoked faced than polished), than the above pics.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 11:30 AM   #24
jbockrd
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 Alpine White/Carbon M3

I like the BBS style, but I guesss I am simple. I also like the silver 19 in wheels that come on the M4. I am not a fan of black wheels. Reminds me of when older cars lost their hubcaps and are too cheap of lazy to get a new one
      12-15-2013, 11:41 AM   #25
Holset
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp LCI

I dont think the partial black rims look ugly you should see them in real before making a final judgement often many things look better in real life.
But it would be cool with a all black wheel option too then we would have 3 color choices.

They seem to adress a design complain i wrote about the M4 concept wheels in a thread a while back.
I wrote that the wheels should look better if they concaved direcly from the wheelbarrel and not be flat and then concave to the center ,the production wheels do look to concave more direcly so thats good.

So i think the production wheels look good and they look plenty big in 19inch form not the nicest wheels i seen but good looking production wheels and as i meantioned before they are probably going to look even better in real life.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #26
gee-m-w
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Seems to be a lot of emphysis on the "FORGED" wheels here.
You guys do realize a crappy designed forged wheel could be weaker than a well designed cast wheel right?
What you guys should be paying attention to is if the wheel lis JWL/VIA or TUV certified. Once a wheel is certified, you can have some confidence in it's integrety REGARDLESS of if it's forged or not.

And I'm hoping the black wheels look more like they do on the mini-configurator (more smoked faced than polished), than the above pics.
Forged implies light, not strong. The strongest wheels right now are flow formed wheels. When I say strong, I specifically mean static load rating.
      12-15-2013, 01:34 PM   #27
templarklimek
templarklimek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15' X6M, 12' R8 V10,

My M6 has the early 19 inch rims. They came in a two-tone silver/black inserts. I had them painted gloss black. I don't think the look too "ricer" at all IMHO. To each their own.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 01:45 PM   #28
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by templarklimek View Post
My M6 has the early 19 inch rims. They came in a two-tone silver/black inserts. I had them painted gloss black. I don't think the look too "ricer" at all IMHO. To each their own.
To me, the gloss black looks much better on your car
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #29
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Who keeps stock wheels on their cars??

I do.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 02:27 PM   #30
paddy335
Major
Rep
Drives: M140i;X5 40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbockrd View Post
I like the BBS style, but I guesss I am simple. I also like the silver 19 in wheels that come on the M4. I am not a fan of black wheels. Reminds me of when older cars lost their hubcaps and are too cheap of lazy to get a new one
I thought it was interesting that even in another model of the M3 it is stil the classic BBS style that fits the car best. Some of the more modern designs really clash with the car's styling IMO.

I haven't been a fan of black wheels in the past but nowadays I absolutely think they really suit some colours. More often than not a dark grey wheel looks far better than a gloss black one though.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 02:48 PM   #31
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Not fancying the new two-tone design either. Don't wash the rims and let brake dust take care of it.

IMHO the M3/M4 deserves gunmetal rims all the way. It strikes the right balance between elegance and sporty/racy. But I'm biased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
BBS fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolag View Post
BBS FIs
BBS FI render:

MORR wheels render:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keto View Post
Anyone who lives in an area with shitty roads and enjoys the wheel/tire warranty. I had MORR forged wheels on my 550 and now they're cracked/dented and unable to be resold.
Well, there is "cracked" and "CRACKED".
(story behind this: http://www.gtrlife.com/forums/topic/...heels-warning/)

12-15-2013, 04:29 PM   #32
templarklimek
templarklimek
United_States
Rep

I've never rims do that. I hope they stayed intact till you we able to stop before you or the car were damaged.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 04:56 PM   #33
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

BBS Fi render looks awesome! Thank you

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 05:08 PM   #34
Holset
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Well, there is "cracked" and "CRACKED".
(story behind this: http://www.gtrlife.com/forums/topic/...heels-warning/)

Not the first time i have seen fancy wheels bent/cracked/destroyed i do admit some of these new wheelcompanys that has existed for the last 10 years or so do design some great looking wheels.
But often you hear them brag about how light the wheels are and that they are FORGED as if that automatically would make them super strong and light.
Some of these wheels are just good for show.

It is alot more complicated to make a great usable wheel than a nice looking design that is forged.

Last edited by Holset; 12-15-2013 at 05:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 05:18 PM   #35
templarklimek
templarklimek
United_States
Rep

But did it(rim) destroy itself while you were in motion? Or just cracked and removed after securing the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #36
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
I'm disappointed too. I'm sure it will look better in person though..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 05:28 PM   #37
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by templarklimek View Post
But did it(rim) destroy itself while you were in motion? Or just cracked and removed after securing the car.
Read the link. The driver was on track at the time.

As for aftermarket wheels, I'd say about 80% of them look WAY worse than stock wheels.
Appreciate 0