BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

04-13-2014, 10:14 AM   #45
BenchRacerYo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz5150 View Post
Ok Ok Ok.........got a question. Let say 3-4 years from now at the dealership lot.

One used M3/M4 with Ceramic brakes vs. One used M3/M4 with OUT Ceramic brakes.........

Does the one WITH Ceramic brakes cost $8,000 more?

I ask this because in the used/pre-own market, options don't worth $hit.
The auctions don't give a rats a$$ about ceramics............
First off, a base car with no options isn't going to be worth anywhere near what it cost new after 3 - 4 yrs. What your asking is the CCB not going to depreciate? Well of course it is, every option as well as the car is going to depreciate. So your point don't worth shit to me . Second, if you lease, the options & the base car depreciate at the same rate. Since I plan on leasing for 3 years the CCB option won't cost me $8000. If the CCB option don't worth shit after 3 yrs that's BMW's problem not mine.
I LOLd
      04-13-2014, 10:24 AM   #46
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gago1101 View Post
I read in many posts that CCBs are not covered by maintenance. I see no mention anywhere on the website that it is not covered. I think it used to say in small print for the M5 CCB option, but that has been removed. I also don't see how BMW can refuse to change them even if you track the car. These cars supposed to be made for occasional tracking.
These cars are indeed built to handle some track use, but that doesn't mean BMW is willing to subsidize such activity. Ultimate Service in general has always excluded levels of wear incurred by use on a racetrack. CCB or not, if you come in needing new pads and/or rotors more often than BMW deems reasonable, while they won't refuse to change them, they won't pay for it either.

Interesting catch that the Ultimate Service note about CCBs has been removed, though. I'm not sure that's an actual change in policy, but even if it is, BMW could again claim (correctly) that on a car driven on the street shouldn't need CCB rotors or pads within the Ultimate Service 50K miles, and probably not even the Extended Maintenance period, and therefore that if a car comes in needing service, chances are that the car is being used for more than street driving, which in turn wouldn't be covered. So the CCB service exclusion could simply be implicit rather than explicit now.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2014, 11:03 AM   #47
sq86
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i E92 LMB

Garage List
Cool read. Learned a few things I didn't know.

BMW CCA Member# 481791
Current: 2013 E92 328i LMB/Saddle Brown (1 of 21 for E92 LCI in that combo), 2018 F31 330xi AW/Saddle Brown
Sold: 2011 1M BS/Black, 2008 E90 328xi AW/Beige, 2001 E46 330xi SG/Black
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 11:04 AM   #48
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 Singapore Grey M3

Quote:
I read in many posts that CCBs are not covered by maintenance. I see no mention anywhere on the website that it is not covered. I think it used to say in small print for the M5 CCB option, but that has been removed. I also don't see how BMW can refuse to change them even if you track the car. These cars supposed to be made for occasional tracking.
Yea.. they changed that in 2014.. now CCB are covered under the maintenance program.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 11:19 AM   #49
gago1101
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 911 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
These cars are indeed built to handle some track use, but that doesn't mean BMW is willing to subsidize such activity. Ultimate Service in general has always excluded levels of wear incurred by use on a racetrack. CCB or not, if you come in needing new pads and/or rotors more often than BMW deems reasonable, while they won't refuse to change them, they won't pay for it either.
I have not read the full warranty brochure and the fine print, but unless they specifically state that tracking the car would result in no warranty or maintenance coverage, I do not se how they can do that. They may not want to pay, but they will have to in the end. Abusing the car for example by not changing the oil, modifying the car, etc could result in refusal to cover things under warranty or maintenance. Hard driving or regular tracking is not abuse.

For Porsche, it specifically states that the cars should not be fitted with R compound tires for track use as the lateral Gs will be too high for non-dry sump engines, and the damage to the engine will not be covered. This disclaimer is missing from the GT3 warranty as it has a dry sump engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 11:24 AM   #50
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFB02 View Post
It's hard to believe that BMW never thought about putting the M logo on their breaks never before on an M3
Maybe because it is the first time they have callipers worthy of the ///M logo

Last edited by CanAutM3; 04-14-2014 at 11:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 11:48 AM   #51
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have not read the full warranty brochure and the fine print, but unless they specifically state that tracking the car would result in no warranty or maintenance coverage, I do not se how they can do that. They may not want to pay, but they will have to in the end. Abusing the car for example by not changing the oil, modifying the car, etc could result in refusal to cover things under warranty or maintenance. Hard driving or regular tracking is not abuse.
Well maybe you SHOULD read the fine print rather than just speculating. You're right that they can't exclude it without explicitly stating that it's not covered. So here's Page 53 out of the 2011 M3 Supplement:

Name:  Track.JPG
Views: 1849
Size:  38.4 KB

Granted, the wording makes it ambiguous as to whether the warranty won't cover wear and tear due to any race track use or just competitive motorsports, which aren't always the same. But here's Page 1 out of the 2011 M3/1M Service and Warranty book:

Name:  Ultimate Service.JPG
Views: 2201
Size:  242.8 KB

The "provided wear and tear exceeds BMW wear limits" is the weasel-out clause. That means that if you don't make your stuff last at least as long as BMW thinks it should last, you're not covered. Granted, the wording is awkward here too, but the alternative interpretation (that the wear rate must be FASTER than BMW specified limits) doesn't make any sense at all, since BMW would then be saying, "We won't replace your brake pads if they lasted longer than we expected them to." And then of course there's the bullet point at the bottom excluding competitive events -- which granted you could argue wouldn't apply to HPDEs, but they've already got that covered with the weasel-out clause.

Did you honestly believe that BMW would give their track-going owners unlimited brake pads and rotors for the first 4 years/50K miles? Of course people who just go to a couple track days per year could probably keep their Ultimate Service coverage since novices running infrequently at the track would still likely have wear within BMW's limits, but that would never work for more regular track-goers. But it's also probably moot in the real world anyway. The rotors are designed to last long enough that even people who DO go to the track would probably only need one set of new rotors during the Ultimate Service window, and NO track person would run the stock pads at the track beyond maybe their first event or two. But BMW is of course still going to cover their bases.

Gone but not forgotten:

Last edited by jphughan; 04-13-2014 at 12:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 12:23 PM   #52
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Attachment 1010450

The "provided wear and tear exceeds BMW wear limits" is the weasel-out clause. That means that if you don't make your stuff last at least as long as BMW thinks it should last, you're not covered. Granted, the wording is awkward here too, but the alternative interpretation (that the wear rate must be FASTER than BMW specified limits) doesn't make any sense at all, since BMW would then be saying, "We won't replace your brake pads if they lasted longer than we expected them to."
I think you are misinterpreting the text. The way I read it, is that wear/tear items are covered if they are worn past the BMW acceptable wear limit. This has nothing to do with how fast they have worn down. For example if your brake pads are totally worn down, even if this occurred at less mileage than expected, BMW will replace them. However, if the pads are only half worn (above the wear threshold), they will not replace them.

As far as being covered for track days and HPDE, the term "competitive events" is very specific. Track days and HPDEs are not considered competitive events.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 04-13-2014 at 12:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 12:35 PM   #53
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I think you are misinterpreting the text. The way I read it, is that wear/tear items are covered if they are worn past the BMW acceptable wear limit. This has nothing to do with how fast they have worn down. For example if your brake pads are totally worn down, even if this occurred at less mileage than expected, BMW will replace them. However, if the pads are only half worn (above the wear threshold), they will not replace them.

As far as being covered for track days and HPDE, the term "competitive events" is very specific. Track days and HPDEs are not considered competitive events.
Ok, that's actually a plausible interpretation that hadn't occurred to me. I still remember reading fine print about Ultimate Service somewhere that excluded wear they deemed excessive, and there are plenty of posts here of people who got denied another set of brake pads because they'd already gotten more than BMW considered reasonable. I just apparently haven't found the right documentation.

I'm not arguing that HPDEs could be construed as "competitive motorsports". I'm just pointing out that in the warranty coverage, the wording makes it unclear whether they're excluding only competitive motorsports or any driving on a race track. They claim that race track usage results in a higher rate of wear, then mention that the M3 isn't designed for competitive motorsports (not the same thing), then say that "this wear is not covered by the warranty". So what does the "this wear" refer to? The increased wear they mentioned was the type of wear incurred from (general) race track usage, but the sentence immediately prior pertained only to competitive motorsports, and made no specific mention of wear rates. So it's a bit ambiguous.

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 12:36 PM   #54
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Great read. Thanks!

"Material-specific properties mean that increased operational noise may be experienced when braking, particularly in wet conditions, just before the vehicle comes to a halt. However, this does not affect the brakes' performance, operational safety or stability."

That explains the persistent low speed squeal in f30 M Sport pads.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 12:44 PM   #55
gago1101
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post

Agree, competitive event means wheel-to-wheel racing to me. Tracking the car every other month for fun should be okay.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 12:46 PM   #56
gago1101
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok, that's actually a plausible interpretation that hadn't occurred to me. I still remember reading fine print about Ultimate Service somewhere that excluded wear they deemed excessive, and there are plenty of posts here of people who got denied another set of brake pads because they'd already gotten more than BMW considered reasonable. I just apparently haven't found the right documentation.

I'm not arguing that HPDEs could be construed as "competitive motorsports". I'm just pointing out that in the warranty coverage, the wording makes it unclear whether they're excluding only competitive motorsports or any driving on a race track. They claim that race track usage results in a higher rate of wear, then mention that the M3 isn't designed for competitive motorsports (not the same thing), then say that "this wear is not covered by the warranty". So what does the "this wear" refer to? The increased wear they mentioned was the type of wear incurred from (general) race track usage, but the sentence immediately prior pertained only to competitive motorsports, and made no specific mention of wear rates. So it's a bit ambiguous.
All will depend on how good of a lawyer you have, LOL.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 01:00 PM   #57
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Agree, competitive event means wheel-to-wheel racing to me. Tracking the car every other month for fun should be okay.
I believe time trials are also considered competitive events, so it is not limited to wheel to wheel racing.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 01:02 PM   #58
KevN27
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteis350 View Post
I agree with you mostly. But its not about breaking even or a value proposition, its about defraying the initial expenditure to a level where its worth it (different for each individual).

My point is simply that its not an $8k investment over time, its less than that, potentially lots less than that. Maybe its only a $4k investment plus saved time from going to a shop/dealer for each brake job (rotors not pads). Anyway, its not as simple as a flat $8k. For added benefits already mentioned in the article (plus no dust). Again, valued differently for different people. I don't think anyone is saying CCB is cheaper.

Agree completely. Especially if you plan to get aftermarket BBK the fronts alone will cost near $4k. The initial 8K is shying away a lot of people.
But remember 4.3K only get you parking sensors and headlight washers.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 01:04 PM   #59
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I think their bail out clause is the one that refers to "Exclusions from coverage... ...wear and tear or deterioration due to driving habits or conditions".

Quote:
You are right, the text is unclear and ambiguous in this respect.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 04-13-2014 at 01:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 01:05 PM   #60
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gago1101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powaup View Post
That was some awesome reading material. CCBs last as long as the car will?! Crazy, thought you had to switch them out at 30k miles. If BMW did not offer maintenance program on the stock ones then CCBs would be much more valuable

As someone else mentioned I would consider them for $4k
My dealer told me they were not covered by maintenance program. Probably due to the fact that smallest ding on the rotors causes them to explode. I wonder if anyone has had to get them replaced and what did they do to wear the brakes out so quickly
      04-13-2014, 01:05 PM   #61
Hedoniste
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | M135i

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [10.00]
My M Perf pads squeal:

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 04:03 PM   #62
991brothers
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT3 RS

Since I am financing the car, Carbon Ceramic brakes wont make that much of a difference. Ive always wanted a BBK
2022 BMW M5 Competition - 2016 GT3 RS UltraViolet -2018 GT3 Chalk - 2016 GT3 Lava - 2015 GT3 Guards Red - 2018 Audi RS7 - 2016 F80 M3 - 2015 GT3 Black - 2015 GT3 Carrara White - 2016 991.1 GTS - 2012 997.2 GTS Cabriolet - 2011 E92 M3 - 2006 E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 07:57 PM   #63
Em/1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Garage List
2019 VW GTI SE  [0.00]
2020 Tesla M3P  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillrM3 View Post
So who is going to be the first to put CCB on an E92 M3?
I'm sure someone already has since there is a guy on 1M forum that did.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 08:54 PM   #64
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

So it only took them roughly 30yrs to put something besides single piston sliding calipers on the M3? Lol
      04-14-2014, 11:01 AM   #65
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 Singapore Grey M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powaup View Post
My dealer told me they were not covered by maintenance program. Probably due to the fact that smallest ding on the rotors causes them to explode. I wonder if anyone has had to get them replaced and what did they do to wear the brakes out so quickly
Your dealer is probably unaware of the change. They definitely are covered now. Confirmed by BMW NA and the M5 guys that have gotten CCB. It was only the first year that they were uncovered.

But the point is largely irrelevant: They will last the life of the car under normal use, so no money out of dealers pocket. And if you track the car, they will void the Maintenance program on the CCB, also no money out of dealers pocket.

As for wear, I don't think anyone around here has worn them yet. The largest dealer that has sold CCB around here told me they have yet to replace a set of pads. That can mean anything tho (maybe the ppl that got CCB don't put many miles on their cars, maybe they got them done somewhere else, who knows)
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 12:31 PM   #66
Randy M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 B302 LS

Quote:
I also don't see how BMW can refuse to change them even if you track the car. These cars supposed to be made for occasional tracking.
Lol. My old GT3 was built for track duty. But if Porsche finds out that you track the car they will not honor the warranty.