GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

04-02-2020, 10:11 PM   #1
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Talking Awesome Stage 1 tune by Mike Benvo at BPMSport!

Hi All,

This is one serious shout-out to Mike Benvo at BPMSport for doing a fantastic job getting my '18 F80 Base 6-speed loaded up with a Stage 1 flash tune and a coding package.

The pic below shows the BMW Sport Gauge reading 550HP and 420TQ (gauges max values have been increased to 560/560). I can hear it already...those gauges are sh!t, they lie, they're wrong...but even if they are over by 50HP then I hit 500HP for sure.

Why did I pick BPMSport instead of the other tuners or software coders?
Confidence, time and convenience.
- Confidence...that software changes on a $75K car would go right, and can be easily undone for maintence
- Time...that I didn't have to learn flashing and coding software
- Convenience...that someone experienced would help me make choices so I would get what I wanted on the first try, both for the performance flash package and for the convenience coding package.

I thought I wanted to go straight to a Stage 2 but Mike said "I'll make sure you're happy, and we can always add power", then he asked me some good questions about my driving style and what I really wanted. Taking his advice on the flash tune I agreed to go with a Stage 1 for 93 octane, Cold Start Delete, 1sec Start Roar, Rev-match Enabled, Speed Limit Delete, Extra Burbles (off in Efficient), 560/560 Sport Displays and stock Rev Limiter action. I had some intricate coding requests and Mike helped advise me on those too...Euro MDM, GTS Diff, but keeping Stock EDC and Steering instead of ZCP/CS/GTS settings (the wife likes soft shocks and I like soft steering, both can be switched to Sport when desired).

My main reason looking for the flash was increased power in the low end (1000-2500) since I have some really fun cutback turns and steep hills where I usually drive. I also like the highway fun...beep-beep-beep-GO! Mike cautioned me that the Stage 1 tune was not linear with the power, and that the low end comes on strong very quick. I got exactly the power curve I wanted. If I stupidly floor it I can break loose the Conti 295s in the bottom and top of 1st, top of 2nd, top of 3rd...so now I need a tire sponsor with a pile of sticky 305s.

If someone can PM me on how to post a video I'll go back and add a clip of the first test. My one buddy holding the camera fell back in his seat when I put the pedal down.

***BONUS*** YOU CAN WIN a bottle of LiquiMoly CeraTec or MOS2, your pick, and I'm not a sponsor!
I was able to stump Mike (and also 2 of our Bimmerpost coding pros) trying to shut off the Upshift Indicator Gear in the cluster. That's the stupid number that says to shift to 4th or 6th, right next to the Current Gear indicator (remember, I have a manual trans). If anyone out there knows how to code OFF the Upshift Indicator while still keeping ON the Current Gear indicator in the cluster, first one gets your pick of the LiquiMoly and I'll ship it to you too. Continental USA please.
Attached Images

Last edited by TopJimmy; 04-02-2020 at 10:54 PM..
Appreciate 1
AlterZgo1537.50
      04-03-2020, 02:35 AM   #2
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

Change:

SPA_CHECKBOX to active in HU
SPA_KOMBISELECT_DISABLE to nicht active in KOMBI

This will enable new option in iDrive to disable gear shift indicator. Not sure if this is MT or DCT or M2C specific.

No idea how it affects current gear indicator.

FYI just tested this on my M2C MT and works as expected. Thanks for the nudge. BTW I don't have current gear display so no idea how that would be affected.

PS: if the above works the thanks needs to go to OKCZ
      04-03-2020, 08:33 AM   #3
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Thanks MR RIZK. My car is a stick shift. We tried this setting and the Current Gear disappears too when the iDrive box is unchecked.
      04-03-2020, 09:00 AM   #4
Trevorstein
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Trabant

Bmp'd.

04-03-2020, 09:45 AM   #5
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
Thanks MR RIZK. My car is a stick shift. We tried this setting and the Current Gear disappears too when the iDrive box is unchecked.
From the googling it appears you cannot have your cake and eat it. Hopefully someone chimes in with a fix for you.

Otherwise on a positive note my dash is so much better without a gear recommendation box
      04-03-2020, 10:55 AM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
TopJimmy5392.50