GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

01-01-2018, 11:43 AM   #1
heckyeahbro69
Captain
Rep
Drives: m3

2200 mile European road trip adventure

I can never line up my car deliveries with my trips to Europe, so unfortunately this isn't in an F8x vehicle, but this is the next best thing I suppose. I've been meaning to compile all this since we got home in may (lol) but I haven't been able to find the time. Here are a few I liked and a timelapse of the gopro footage i stuck together.

The route:

Sun April 30
We landed in Frankfurt and when we got to the Sixt desk, they asked if I wanted a VW golf (definitely not) or a 116d. I made the obvious choice. I opted for the tire and windshield insurance because I knew there would be race track miles. Didn't need it though. We left the airport and drove straight to the ring. We spent 3 days there but didn't get as many laps as I would have liked due to weather. Still the best place on the planet.

They even crash in germany lol

Wed May 3
We left a day early to get on the road to Rome since this was the biggest drive. We split it up into 2 parts and stayed a night in Switzerland. The views never disappoint.

Thursday May 4
We left Switzerland and continued to Rome. I'm glad I drove in 2 stints because it was a long drive that seemed to go on forever. This was much needed.

Friday May 5
This was our first full day in Rome and we had a few tours booked. The Colosseum and the other historic spots were cool to see but the city was a huge tourist trap. People selling garbage everywhere you look, there is graffiti and trash. I have no desire to return.

Monday May 8
We left Rome and headed north for Florence. This was by far a much nicer city. Nicer people, scenery, more relaxed. I would definitely consider going back there. We checked out the usual historic spots and a very nice overlook of the entire city. We did the fiat 500 city tour which was a ton of fun. I would definitely recommend doing that if you are in town on a euro delivery or something.

Wednesday May 10
We departed Florence for Munich with a stop in Maranello to see the Ferrari Factory and museum. It wasn't too big, but full of very cool stuff. Worth the price of admission for sure. We made it to Munich late in the evening after getting flashed by a speed camera I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later.

Thursday May 11
We only spent 1 day here unfortunately. We've been before so there wasn't too much on the agenda. Went to the Welt and the museum again and also M Gmbh. Ate weeners and drank some great beer. The usual. We ate dinner quick but got to Hofbrauhaus too late unfortunately. We walked around marienplatz a bit before heading back to rest up for the last long drive.

Friday May 12
I was up super early because I figured we could get in 1 last day trip to the ring before heading back to Frankfurt. There was about 100 supras and some nice r34's. It rained pretty good so I only got 2 laps in but it was well worth it to get one last trip in before going home

I was overall happy with the 116d. It was extremely slow, but hauled all our stuff around Europe for 2 weeks and took some abuse around a race track no problem. The m sport option was definitely a nice touch. It really makes an otherwise dull car pretty fun.

Last edited by heckyeahbro69; 01-01-2018 at 08:09 PM..
Appreciate 3
      01-01-2018, 12:46 PM   #2
THEROK
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Genesis GV80

I feel the same way about most of Italy, particularly Rome. Looks good from afar, but far from good. Somehow I've ended up in Rome on three separate occasions and it truly is a dirty old tourist trap of a city.

Thanks for sharing and HNY -
      01-01-2018, 01:10 PM   #3
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Nice - thanks for posting! I actually think your time was probably much more relaxed in a rental rather than your brand new car, especially in Italy. Driving my new car into Rome and Florence would make me a basket case!
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 01:59 PM   #4
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

Awesome. Thanks for sharing. Amazing
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 02:04 PM   #5
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Nice trip!

Although I'd advise against posting pictures of the rental car on the Nürburgring, Sixt rentals (and I bet others as well) are not allowed to be driven on racetracks (even though the NS is considered to be a public road).
      01-02-2018, 12:31 PM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Nice, sounds fun

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 07:35 PM   #7
XsltAnalyst
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80, 957 Cayenne

Nice trip, thanks for sharing.

1 series hatch is just the right sized car, too bad they never sold them here in US.
Appreciate 0