Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

07-06-2015, 06:07 AM   #155
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: My wife and kids insane.

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mntbiker View Post
I *finally* got around to reading this entire thread. WOW. Thank you so much, Bluex. I've read many ED journals, but I think this one is the most informative. I'm planning an ED next year with the exact [exterior] spec as you. It will be my first time visiting Europe, so all of the minor details about culture are very much appreciated. I actually took notes!

How many liters of beer did you drink? Haha.

Thanks again and enjoy your beautiful beast!
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it.....While it wasn't my first time in Europe, it was my first time in Germany (well, first time in 43 years, anyway) and I felt like initially when I was in the planning stage I wished there were a thread that pointed out all the minute details. There were a ton of great ED journals on here, with amazing pics.....and many of them had a conglomerate of very helpful details. I just figured i'd put down all the details as they pertained to my trip and hopefully this would help others.....

How many liters? Too many to count! The beer was great and always flowing! (once the M was safely parked for the evening that is, lol)

Btw, you will love your color choice......I may be very biased, but I do think that B50 SO is the most unique M color out there. I love it every single time I see it.

My European Delivery Thread
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 01:52 AM   #156
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Thanks Bluex! That was an awesome writeup and very helpful in my planning of my upcoming ED in September. Great pics and I enjoyed all the little minutia as well.
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2015, 01:54 AM   #157
ginginha
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Faity

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm918 View Post

Haha. No worries. Can you post your complete route if you made it in google maps? Here is my 16 day plan so far This will probably get revised many times in the next few months especially because if we take our 1 year old
Have you done this trip yet? I'm trying to figure out my route for my September ED and the Italy options are killing me. If driving there really is as bad as it's made out to be, I may make just one short stop. My dad is going with me and he would like to go to Riomaggiore. Not sure I can make it that deep.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 06:55 AM   #158
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginginha View Post
Have you done this trip yet? I'm trying to figure out my route for my September ED and the Italy options are killing me. If driving there really is as bad as it's made out to be, I may make just one short stop. My dad is going with me and he would like to go to Riomaggiore. Not sure I can make it that deep.
No I fly out in the 26th. Will post my thoughts when I get back. As long as you stay away for the big cities....Rome, Florence, etc. you should be fine. I heard driving there is stressful.

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 06:48 AM   #159
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginginha View Post
Driving in Italy is no big deal. I rather enjoy it. Sure the Italian are aggressive... but on the Autostrada they are quite good drivers. It's in the inner cities dealing with all those Vespa's that is a little unnerving.

Riomaggiore is quite nice area. So is Lucca, Pisa, Cinque Terre etc. Italy only gets kind of "sketchy" once you get closer to Rome. Since you will probably be driving down the Brenner... I would say stop and drive thru the Sella region... the Italian Sella Dolomites are quite breathtaking.

https://www.google.de/maps/place/Sel...2e83eb90?hl=en

Dackel
Appreciate 3
      09-25-2015, 02:21 PM   #160
MFNATIK
United_States
Rep

Driving in Paris is a pain in the ass! Makes driving in Italy a breeze!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 03:43 PM   #161
ginginha
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Faity

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Driving in Italy is no big deal. I rather enjoy it. Sure the Italian are aggressive... but on the Autostrada they are quite good drivers. It's in the inner cities dealing with all those Vespa's that is a little unnerving.

Riomaggiore is quite nice area. So is Lucca, Pisa, Cinque Terre etc. Italy only gets kind of "sketchy" once you get closer to Rome. Since you will probably be driving down the Brenner... I would say stop and drive thru the Sella region... the Italian Sella Dolomites are quite breathtaking.

Dackel
Thanks. We ended up cutting out Riomaggiore (because of weather) and only went as far south as Como with the car. Aside from a couple narrow tunnels cooing down Stelvio Pass, I really didn't think driving in Italy was all that bad. The roads seem to be in much better shape than in California, but not quite as good as Germany or Austria. The Italians didn't seem to pay attention to the speed limits, which I was doing carefully, but I didn't feel like they were going to run me off the road or anything. A few followed closely, but I got the impression it was more to get a good look at the car, than anything else. A group of motorcyclists ogled it a gas station for a bit.
2016 F80 ED 9/10/15 3:20 - BSM, SS, DCT, M Adaptive, Silver 437M
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2015, 04:05 PM   #162
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:

Dackel
Dackel, have a suggestion for a good hotel at a reasonable price in Munich? Preferably one with a garage or private parking lot?
'17 M2 San Marino Blue, 6MT; 2011 335iS, 2007 328i, 19 Ram 1500, '18 Yamaha MT-07, '14 Kawasaki Ninja 1000. SOLD: '16 European Delivery M3 San Marino Blue, 6MT. '13 335iS, 2002 M3 6MT, 1997 M3, 1998 M3, 1996 328is (picked up in Munich at OLD ED Center), '88 Mustang GT 5.0, '84.5 Mustang SVO Turbo, '77 Rabbit,a cool 1992 Taurus SHO, and KTMs.
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2015, 06:12 PM   #163
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Arrow re: Hotels...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangquadcam View Post
Dackel, have a suggestion for a good hotel at a reasonable price in Munich? Preferably one with a garage or private parking lot?

You might laugh when you hear this... but I have been ind of disappointed by the various hotels in Munich. They are all so over priced. One hotel that I keep coming back too(mainly for the price and easy location) is Motel One. I usually stay at the one in Garching. They have a garage there (for 6 euros extra) and Breakfast is very basic, but Ok for 8 euros extra. The hotel is only a few years old and rooms are around 59 euros per night. The rooms are clean & stylish, but kind of small. Plus the U-Bahn(subway) is right behind the hotel... and you can see ///M HQ just down the street!

Every time I try a different hotel around Munich I get disappointed by the hotel/rooms/service. And normally I spend two or two and half times the price more compared to Motel One.

http://www.motel-one.com/en/hotels/munich/

Here are some hotels I know of, but I have never stayed at...

Four Points by Sheraton München Olympiapark
Helene-Mayer-Ring 12
80809 Münch

www.fourpointsolympiapark.com/en
This hotel is in walking distance of the BMW Welt.

Leonardo Royal Hotel Munich
Moosacher Str. 90
80809 München

http://www.leonardo-hotels.com/germa...l-hotel-munich

The Leonardo is also quite close to the Welt and is also new and a nice place(so I am told).

I have been meaning to check out these two hotels, but every time I try to stay there... there is some convention or football game going on and the hotels in Munich triple their rates! (its normal in the hotel industry to do so).

Rilano 24|7 Hotel München
Domagkstraße 26
80807 München

www.rilano-247-hotel-muenchen-schwabing.de/

Hotel Suite Novotel Muenchen Parkstadt Schwabing
Lyonel-Feininger-Straße 22
80807 München

http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel-...ng/index.shtml

Sorry I can't be of much help on Hotels in downtown Munich. One place I really liked... was this Castle Hotel about 25 minutes North of Munich. I rather liked their Castle with a mot around it. The rooms were not that expensive (120 euros) and the area was quite nice to drive around.

Schloss Hohenkammer GmbH
Schloßstraße 20
85411 Hohenkammer

www.schlosshohenkammer.de

And there is this Castle about an hour away from Munich. I have not stayed here.

Schloss Sandizell
Schloßstraße 4
86529 Schrobenhausen

http://www.schloss-sandizell.com/
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 06:32 PM   #164
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
Driving in Paris is a pain in the ass! Makes driving in Italy a breeze!
Yes, I totally agree with you! And in Paris, parking is really a Bitch!! (not just the driving!!!) I wasn't comfortable in my rental car there, a few years ago. Never again. But I drive to Italy many times per year. Last year I was able(fortunate enough) to visit Italy six times. I never get old or tired of the Italian way of Life. But I am ALWAYS happy to get back (in)to Germany - once I see those blue Autobahn signs and no speed limits.

Dackel
Appreciate 1
      09-26-2015, 12:28 PM   #165
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I totally agree with you! And in Paris, parking is really a Bitch!! (not just the driving!!!) I wasn't comfortable in my rental car there, a few years ago. Never again. But I drive to Italy many times per year. Last year I was able(fortunate enough) to visit Italy six times. I never get old or tired of the Italian way of Life. But I am ALWAYS happy to get back (in)to Germany - once I see those blue Autobahn signs and no speed limits.

Dackel
Any update on the migrant issue, and how that is affecting traffic, routes, etc?
'17 M2 San Marino Blue, 6MT; 2011 335iS, 2007 328i, 19 Ram 1500, '18 Yamaha MT-07, '14 Kawasaki Ninja 1000. SOLD: '16 European Delivery M3 San Marino Blue, 6MT. '13 335iS, 2002 M3 6MT, 1997 M3, 1998 M3, 1996 328is (picked up in Munich at OLD ED Center), '88 Mustang GT 5.0, '84.5 Mustang SVO Turbo, '77 Rabbit,a cool 1992 Taurus SHO, and KTMs.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 03:29 AM   #166
MFNATIK
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Dackel
Was here in Paris on Saturday and got lucky with parking next to the Eiffel. Came back in the evening to catch the light show . Today is my last full day in Paris and they are having a no cars day lol. The irony...
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      09-27-2015, 10:36 AM   #167
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
Was here in Paris on Saturday and got lucky with parking next to the Eiffel. Came back in the evening to catch the light show . Today is my last full day in Paris and they are having a no cars day lol. The irony...
Great pics! Love the color! How many days is your trip?
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2015, 04:04 PM   #168
MFNATIK
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangquadcam View Post
Great pics! Love the color! How many days is your trip?
It was 14 days. Dropping car off and flying home tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 09:45 AM   #169
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Well, it's been awhile but my beautiful 2015 SO is still just as beautiful and still running equally beautiful! No significant issues at all....just regular maintenance. (Knocks on wood)

A few minor things here and there.....

The "tin-can) pebble and brake shriek" issue as described from way back still occasionally happens.

With several iPhone updates in 4 years, I've had to delete a few Bluetooth pairings to get things working again.

The updated adaptive Euro LED mod that several of us worked hard on those years ago still works beautifully, although admittedly I haven't followed the thread to see if there have been any tweaks to the version of settings we had agreed was "good". No need really.

All in all, I've had many chances to trade in (at very good deals) but it always comes back down to "Why?" Had such a great adventure with her 4 years ago in Germany and is just as beautiful of a performance machine as ever.....just no need to give her up.

Now maybe with the next gen, perhaps.....or maybe I go Porsche.

But for now, still in love with my 2015.....

Appreciate 3
'Cane8481.50
GERMAN M34181.00
      02-24-2019, 09:50 PM   #170
Junkball
FLY NAVY
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 6MT & 330i ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluex View Post
But for now, still in love with my 2015.....
It really is a pleasure reflecting through the experience of others' similar though still starkly unique deliveries and their subsequent ownership experience. I appreciate your follow-up and journal.

Maybe someday I'll have the initiative to post my own in reflection of the trip of a lifetime.
Bluex1329.50
      04-26-2022, 01:06 PM   #171
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Finally tinkering around with the idea of selling this fantastic car.

When I look back on this ED pictorial, it makes that decision even more difficult. Amazing car, amazing trip.....she'll always have a place in my heart.

As I scroll from page to page, my will to let her go starts to slip

Appreciate 2
icegrill2078.00
GERMAN M34181.00
      04-26-2022, 06:55 PM   #172
GERMAN M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluex View Post
Finally tinkering around with the idea of selling this fantastic car.

When I look back on this ED pictorial, it makes that decision even more difficult. Amazing car, amazing trip.....she'll always have a place in my heart.

As I scroll from page to page, my will to let her go starts to slip
Trust me…..it's hard to let go. I know from experience. I'm currently on my 3rd F80. Enjoyed reading your ED several years ago! Great trip and experience. Best of Luck with your decision. Amazing car as well as trip!
      04-26-2022, 07:16 PM   #173
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Fun to see this old thread! What a great opportunity for your 15' m3 purchase. It's a shame they don't offer euro delivery anymore or the M models to warrant it!
Appreciate 2
GERMAN M34181.00
Bluex1329.50