BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

07-29-2016, 03:38 PM   #1
Bmwguy11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 YMB M3

Car vibrates under braking?

I recently had my car hood repainted after a large dump truck had several rocks fall from it on a country road and put some dings and scratches in my hood. As part of the repair they also had to blend the side fenders over the front wheels. The car was in the shop for 4 days, and they did a fantastic job at matching the YMB and it looks brand new again. I checked the mileage when I dropped the car off and when I picked it up and it had only gone up 1 mile on the ODO which could have been from just driving it on the lot.

When I picked the car up, after driving about 5 miles the right rear tire alerted for low pressure. Upon checking the in car status it showed the right rear was low by about 10 psi. It is normally 36psi but it had fallen to 26psi.

I also noticed that my car would vibrate when braking. I didn't notice it immediately because at lower speeds it is subtle, but once I hit the highway and higher speeds it is extremely noticable. The vibration is ONLY during braking.

I called the shop and they said the car did not have any wheels removed nor was it ever even on a lift. So why my one tire was down 10 psi and the car now vibrates under braking is a bit odd. Neither of these problems existed on the car before I dropped it off, and I drive the car every day. It has 10,000 miles on it.

Any ideas on what the vibration under braking could be? I have scheduled an appointment with the service department to get this resolved but the body shop (owned by the bmw dealer that I also go to for service) doesn't believe anything they did could have caused this, so there is a potential I may have to pay for some kind of repair depending on what the issue is.

PS. I fixed the PSI on the right rear tire, it's fine now, but the vibration under braking is still there. the harder I brake the more the vibration. also the faster the speed the more it vibrates. i can feel it through the steering wheel and the car and you can hear it too.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 03:46 PM   #2
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 GR Zupra

Possibly a warped brake rotor
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 03:51 PM   #3
Bmwguy11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Yea I was thinking something with the brakes. Just odd coincidence that it was right after I had the work done. Also not sure what would cause a warped brake rotor after only 10k miles. I never drive the car hard or track it or anything.
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2016, 05:38 PM   #4
sandjam
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016

Check your low tire for a screw. Body shops are notorious for running over screws from other cars being disassembled. I had this happen. I went to pick up my previous car and they tell me they started getting low pressure warning. When I got home I found a body screw in the tire.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 06:36 PM   #5
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Nardo F90 M5 on order

I had warped CCBs from the factory. Vibrated hard after 80mph during braking.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 06:57 PM   #6
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwguy11 View Post
Yea I was thinking something with the brakes. Just odd coincidence that it was right after I had the work done. Also not sure what would cause a warped brake rotor after only 10k miles.
The rotors are not warped, but if they left the car sitting outside in the rain, they could have accumulated a layer of rust on the surface. Nothing that a a few persistent brake applications would not clear.

As to the loss of air, do have the right rear tire inspected for screws and punctures.

Quote:
I never drive the car hard or track it or anything.
Now THAT sounds like a serious problem.
I would look into a fix ASAP!

a

Last edited by afadeev; 08-02-2016 at 10:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 08:50 AM   #7
Bmwguy11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post
The rotors are not warped, but if they left the car sitting outside in the rain, they could have accumulated a layer of rust on the surface. Nothing that a a few persistent brake applications would not clear.

As to the loss of air, do have the right rear tire inspected for screws and punctures.
You hit the proverbial nail on the head. There's a nail or screw in the tire that I found. Fortunately it's dead center in one of the channels on a flat part so 100% fixable. Debating if I should try and have the body shop fix it or if I should just do it myself.

Quote:
Now THAT sounds like a serious problem.
I would look into a fix that ASAP!
Indeed.

I am taking the car in Thursday to have the brakes looked at. Ive been driving the car harder, giving the brakes a good work etc. The vibrations are not quite as bad but still there.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 10:23 AM   #8
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
You hit the proverbial nail on the head. There's a nail or screw in the tire that I found. Fortunately it's dead center in one of the channels on a flat part so 100% fixable. Debating if I should try and have the body shop fix it or if I should just do it myself.
I just picked up a puncture in the middle of rear tire on my i3.
Plugged it myself in the garage in ~5 minutes with this:
https://www.amazon.com/Dynaplug-Ultr...words=dynaplug

Since BMW had abandoned full-size spares, I carry a DynaPlug in each and every one of my cars. I know you can call roadside assistance, but plugging a punctures in ~5 minutes beats waiting for a tow truck for 2-4 hours (BMW service plan is cheap, and very few tow companies respond).

YMMV,
a
Appreciate 1
Bmwguy111246.00
      08-02-2016, 01:34 PM   #9
Bmwguy11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post
I just picked up a puncture in the middle of rear tire on my i3.
Plugged it myself in the garage in ~5 minutes with this:
https://www.amazon.com/Dynaplug-Ultr...words=dynaplug

Since BMW had abandoned full-size spares, I carry a DynaPlug in each and every one of my cars. I know you can call roadside assistance, but plugging a punctures in ~5 minutes beats waiting for a tow truck for 2-4 hours (BMW service plan is cheap, and very few tow companies respond).

YMMV,
a
The body shop is going to have the BMW dealer repair the tire, but this is definitely a handy tool to have so I'll order one. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 01:29 PM   #10
FOLDR
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Coupe

I have a very similar problem, although the dealership refused to cover it. Will write about it soon.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 02:40 PM   #11
Bmwguy11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

The vibration is much better now, though still there a bit. My appointment is tomorrow. I may not even have them bother with it since is hardly noticeable now.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 11:33 AM   #12
Bmwguy11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Great news, the BMW shop found that the rotors did in fact have some unevenness on them, and they are replacing them under warranty. The rear tire is also going to be replaced at the cost of the body shop due to the nail/screw that is in it.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 12:17 PM   #13
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwguy11
Great news, the BMW shop found that the rotors did in fact have some unevenness on them, and they are replacing them under warranty. The rear tire is also going to be replaced at the cost of the body shop due to the nail/screw that is in it.
Very interesting.

I was back at the dealer yesterday and they wrote my paperwork up as follows...

Verified customer concern, vibration when braking. Requesting info on how to proceed for area rep. BMW said to not replace any pads/rotors at this time for M cars due to vibration, working on a solution.
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 12:39 PM   #14
Bmwguy11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
Very interesting.

Verified customer concern, vibration when braking. Requesting info on how to proceed for area rep. BMW said to not replace any pads/rotors at this time for M cars due to vibration, working on a solution.
Yea from what I've been reading on the forums this has been a common problem as of late. Maybe they will find out from BMW sometime in the next week before my scheduled service. But they did say they measured the rotors and the tolerances for variance were outside of the allowed, which is why they are replacing them.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 12:53 PM   #15
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix Mineral Grey

I just noticed this for the first time today when scaring the s*** out of my friend Steve showing off my JB4.

Vibration when braking from 60+ mph. I'm gonna try and hard brake later on and see if it goes away, otherwise my rotors could actually be warped thats what it feels like. 16k miles on the car.

m340ix Mineral Grey/Tacora Red
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 01:03 PM   #16
Bmwguy11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I've learned that "warped rotors" is a misnomer. It's technically uneven wear or some kind of uneven buildup on the rotors that causes this.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 02:51 PM   #17
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwguy11
Quote:
Very interesting.

Yea from what I've been reading on the forums this has been a common problem as of late. Maybe they will find out from BMW sometime in the next week before my scheduled service. But they did say they measured the rotors and the tolerances for variance were outside of the allowed, which is why they are replacing them.
So we're mine, when they replaced the pads/rotors a couple thousand miles ago.

Who knows what the true issue is.
09' C6 Z06
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 05:46 PM   #18
stranger
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I've done 20,000 miles and having this issue

The car is 2 years old would they still replace the rotors?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 09:18 AM   #19
Bmwguy11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Very interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOLDR View Post
I have a very similar problem, although the dealership refused to cover it. Will write about it soon.
See if this helps?

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1296123
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 03:53 PM   #20
wakdady
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i3

Quote:
Very interesting.

just curious, how many times have you had your front brakes replaced under warranty because of this issue?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 04:02 PM   #21
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakdady
Quote:
Very interesting.

just curious, how many times have you had your front brakes replaced under warranty because of this issue?
Twice now
09' C6 Z06
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 05:56 PM   #22
wakdady
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i3

Quote:
Twice now
so this would be the 3rd? I can see why they don't want to replace them again for you. Especially if a very short distance is traveled between complaints.
Are you tracking your car? if so those stock pads can't handle the heat. if not, could it be possible that you might be jumping on them too hard when they are so new and ruining them that way?
Appreciate 0