Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-01-2020, 11:06 AM   #1
Murf993
Lieutenant
Murf993's Avatar
2171
Rep
562
Posts

Drives: Porsche 911
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Canada banning "Military style assault rifles"

Trudeau has just announced effective immediately that 1500 Military style assault rifles are banned to sell, trade or use. A two year amnesty is in place and a buy back program will be put in place.

No list of the banned weapons yet but I can't wait to see what they think is Military Style Assault weapons.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...ct-immediately

So there are about 200 murders committed with guns in Canada annually. The vast majority of these murders are committed using handguns that were smuggled from the USA.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 11:18 AM   #2
The Chaddening
Brigadier General
The Chaddening's Avatar
8682
Rep
4,351
Posts

Drives: 13' E92 BSM 335i 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Weld County, CO

iTrader: (0)

Will we see a maple themed boogaloo? I’m hoping so
__________________
2013 BSM Coral Red E92 335i 6MT M-Sport
2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Edition

Pronouns: Bro/Bruh
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 11:44 AM   #3
AnOldBiker
Jim
AnOldBiker's Avatar
United_States
221
Rep
137
Posts

Drives: 2019 X5 XDrive 40i
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Land of Retirement

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
..... So there are about 200 murders committed with guns in Canada annually. ......


Heck .... Chicago does that each holiday weekend.
Appreciate 3
Murf9932170.50
unluky577.50

      05-01-2020, 11:47 AM   #4
TheMidnightNarwhal
Brigadier General
TheMidnightNarwhal's Avatar
Canada
1212
Rep
4,664
Posts

Drives: 2011 335is 6 speed
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Gatineau, Quebec

iTrader: (0)

What a load of fucking bullshit holy fucking shit. Couldn't even shoot my AR yet this year because of COVID-19 and now I can't even go now or this summer at least since it's.

They also banned upper receivers to.
Appreciate 1
xander_g761.00

      05-01-2020, 12:38 PM   #5
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
N54Yankee's Avatar
United_States
2629
Rep
1,856
Posts

Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

We all know he was ringing his hands like the Simpsons Mr Burns for a tragedy like this so he could implement his dastardly plan. I feel for you guys there.
Donít give in, donít submit and go underground if need be. Donít turn in your firearms. Heíll be coming for all of them one day. Vote him out!
__________________
__________________
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.Ē Samuel Adams
Appreciate 2
Murf9932170.50

      05-01-2020, 12:48 PM   #6
Eriphill
Major
1980
Rep
1,363
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Down by the sea

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
No list of the banned weapons yet but I can't wait to see what they think is Military Style Assault weapons.
https://www.scribd.com/document/4593...020#from_embed

Looks like you'll have to turn in your 'Russian Mortar M1937'
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 12:50 PM   #7
Littlebear
Major Major
Littlebear's Avatar
United_States
810
Rep
1,112
Posts

Drives: 2017 330i
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Brklyn. Got a problem wit dat?

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
Trudeau has just announced effective immediately that 1500 Military style assault rifles are banned to sell, trade or use. A two year amnesty is in place and a buy back program will be put in place.
arty00 30:
__________________
"The Indian smiles, he thinks that the cowboy is his friend. The cowboy smiles, he is glad the Indian is fooled. Now he can exploit him" Gof4
"Redwoods talk to me. Say it plainly The human name Doesn't mean shit to a tree" J.A.
"Are we not pins? We are DEVO" Devo
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 02:28 PM   #8
AnOldBiker
Jim
AnOldBiker's Avatar
United_States
221
Rep
137
Posts

Drives: 2019 X5 XDrive 40i
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Land of Retirement

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriphill View Post


After reading the law, it seems the Canadian Government fears their population. Reminds me of what Hitler did in the 30's.
Appreciate 1
unluky577.50

      05-01-2020, 02:44 PM   #9
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
GuidoK's Avatar
1352
Rep
2,408
Posts

Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Tinkering in the garage

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
Heck .... Chicago does that each holiday weekend.
This might not be a lot for US standards but it's still a lot for a country that has the number of canada's inhabitants if you look at the complete western world.
Canada has 37,5 million people so with 200 (non suicidal) deaths that's 5,8 deaths per 1 million.
I live in a country with 17,3 million people and in 2019 there were 31 people killed with a firearm and the year before that 34 people (non suicidal/non unintentional)
So thats under 2 deaths per 1 million people. (These killings are probably all done by criminals with illegal guns. Where I live you can get for example an ar-15 on permit, but getting permits in general is very difficult and requires a lot of discipline of the owner. A gun is not something that you buy here, you have to earn it more or less.)
__________________
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs performance clutch
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 02:54 PM   #10
BimmerBoomer
demoted
BimmerBoomer's Avatar
Canada
362
Rep
1,119
Posts

Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Sportback
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Grimsby, Ontario

iTrader: (0)

as I recall, there are about 100,000 rifles/carbines out there...

Having served as an infantry officer I have a soft spot for assault weapons. But I see no reason civilians should be allowed to own them.
Appreciate 7
unluky577.50
quick6573.50
AlexFL1577.50
dbarton62488.50

      05-01-2020, 03:01 PM   #11
unluky
Captain
unluky's Avatar
578
Rep
910
Posts

Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Sedalia, MO

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBoomer View Post
Having served as an infantry officer I have a soft spot for assault weapons. But I see no reason civilians should be allowed to own them.
EDIT: Don't Agree. If people who are scared of them spend one weekend day with them at the range along side many other of their grand papys deer rifles - they will see how similar they are.

The media love to tout how "powerful" they are. Anyone in the shooting culture knows how big of a joke this is. The most common caliber in them is so under powered they were illegal to use in my home state for deer hunting during my youth.

Just like many things - the people swallow what the media spoons them.

This is not a reaction to an event - he was waiting for an event to put this in place.
__________________
2015 X5 XDrive 35i - 2004 Z4 3.0 Sport

Last edited by unluky; 05-01-2020 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 2
      05-01-2020, 03:08 PM   #12
BimmerBoomer
demoted
BimmerBoomer's Avatar
Canada
362
Rep
1,119
Posts

Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Sportback
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Grimsby, Ontario

iTrader: (0)

if you think you agree with me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post
Agreed.
You can't read.
Appreciate 1
unluky577.50

      05-01-2020, 03:10 PM   #13
The Chaddening
Brigadier General
The Chaddening's Avatar
8682
Rep
4,351
Posts

Drives: 13' E92 BSM 335i 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Weld County, CO

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
After reading the law, it seems the Canadian Government fears their population. Reminds me of what Hitler did in the 30's.
Governments should be afraid of their citizens.
__________________
2013 BSM Coral Red E92 335i 6MT M-Sport
2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Edition

Pronouns: Bro/Bruh
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 03:12 PM   #14
AnOldBiker
Jim
AnOldBiker's Avatar
United_States
221
Rep
137
Posts

Drives: 2019 X5 XDrive 40i
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Land of Retirement

iTrader: (0)

I served in Nam and the assault weapons was my life. I don't see a reason for the general public needing a fully automatic weapon. That said ..

I do not believe any government needs to stop the public from owning a weapon 'design' to look like the AR15 but is only semi auto. Some plastic, a little metal and no wood. If you read into the law, the Canadian government is getting to the point you can only own a shotgun. But that to can be changed and removed from the public.

The government should fear the people ..not the people fear the government. World history and the US Constitution teaches that.
Appreciate 3
Murf9932170.50
NickyC6371.50
c1pher1825.50

      05-01-2020, 03:19 PM   #15
unluky
Captain
unluky's Avatar
578
Rep
910
Posts

Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Sedalia, MO

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBoomer View Post
You can't read.
LOL - you are 100% correct. My eyes saw what I wanted them to I guess........
__________________
2015 X5 XDrive 35i - 2004 Z4 3.0 Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 03:23 PM   #16
unluky
Captain
unluky's Avatar
578
Rep
910
Posts

Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Sedalia, MO

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
I served in Nam and the assault weapons was my life. I don't see a reason for the general public needing a fully automatic weapon. That said ..

I do not believe any government needs to stop the public from owning a weapon 'design' to look like the AR15 but is only semi auto. Some plastic, a little metal and no wood. If you read into the law, the Canadian government is getting to the point you can only own a shotgun. But that to can be changed and removed from the public.

The government should fear the people ..not the people fear the government. World history and the US Constitution teaches that.

This is what happened in NZ. They screamed "ban the assault weapons" and the ranchers just shrugged because they didn't own one. Then the law passed then they found out the Marlin 70 22LR their dad gave to them when they were 12 is now outlawed and must be turned in. People who know nothing about guns writing all the gun laws is never a good thing.
__________________
2015 X5 XDrive 35i - 2004 Z4 3.0 Sport
Appreciate 3
      05-02-2020, 06:55 AM   #17
Murf993
Lieutenant
Murf993's Avatar
2171
Rep
562
Posts

Drives: Porsche 911
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

So more details are emerging. The program Identifies 9 groups or types of guns. So the variants of these guns is how the number of banned guns gets to 1500. The AR-15 and it's variants make up the majority of the weapons banned. In Canada there are three categories of guns. Non-restricted, restricted and prohibited. I will spare you the boring details and just give a brief overview. Non-restricted are shot guns and hunting rifles primarily. Restricted includes most hand guns and rifles with a barrel of less than 18" and prohibited includes fully automatic and some hand guns with less than 4" barrels.

This is important because if you have a non-restricted gun, the government doesn't' have a record of these. So lets say you have an AR-15 or Mini-14 with an 18.5" barrel then the government doesn't have a record of that.

The other thing they have said is that if you own one of the now banned guns you can keep it past the 2 year amnesty but you're not allowed to use it.

So more accomplish nothing legislation, that is nothing more than Kabuke Theatre from our Fingerpainter in Chief.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 08:49 AM   #18
Joekerr
Is Joe King
Joekerr's Avatar
5881
Rep
1,785
Posts

Drives: 2017 Audi S6
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
So more details are emerging. The program Identifies 9 groups or types of guns. So the variants of these guns is how the number of banned guns gets to 1500. The AR-15 and it's variants make up the majority of the weapons banned. In Canada there are three categories of guns. Non-restricted, restricted and prohibited. I will spare you the boring details and just give a brief overview. Non-restricted are shot guns and hunting rifles primarily. Restricted includes most hand guns and rifles with a barrel of less than 18" and prohibited includes fully automatic and some hand guns with less than 4" barrels.

This is important because if you have a non-restricted gun, the government doesn't' have a record of these. So lets say you have an AR-15 or Mini-14 with an 18.5" barrel then the government doesn't have a record of that.

The other thing they have said is that if you own one of the now banned guns you can keep it past the 2 year amnesty but you're not allowed to use it.

So more accomplish nothing legislation, that is nothing more than Kabuke Theatre from our Fingerpainter in Chief.

I'm frustrated with this legislation. I have no issues with people owing AR style stuff, and had thought of perhaps buying one one day myself, but don't really care one way or another.

But, what frustrates me is that he has ALSO banned all .50 cal rifles...and those I just really want to shoot to experience it. Not sure if I'd ever own one given how expensive they are and the ammo is, but I really wanted the OPTION to own one at least. And that frustrates me. I mean, when was the last time one of those was used in a mass murder? I don't remember hearing of one. I just don't understand why they were banned as well. Sure, they can reach a long distance, but you would also need to be pretty proficient with one too in order to use it at those distances. And for the large part, those of us that are enthusiasts who take the time to get proficient, are not going to go postal and commit mass murders.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
he's Canadian. By international law we all must worship him and all other products of the country.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 08:58 AM   #19
BimmerBoomer
demoted
BimmerBoomer's Avatar
Canada
362
Rep
1,119
Posts

Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Sportback
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Grimsby, Ontario

iTrader: (0)

well Joe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
I'm frustrated with this legislation. I have no issues with people owing AR style stuff, and had thought of perhaps buying one one day myself, but don't really care one way or another.

But, what frustrates me is that he has ALSO banned all .50 cal rifles...and those I just really want to shoot to experience it. Not sure if I'd ever own one given how expensive they are and the ammo is, but I really wanted the OPTION to own one at least. And that frustrates me. I mean, when was the last time one of those was used in a mass murder? I don't remember hearing of one. I just don't understand why they were banned as well. Sure, they can reach a long distance, but you would also need to be pretty proficient with one too in order to use it at those distances. And for the large part, those of us that are enthusiasts who take the time to get proficient, are not going to go postal and commit mass murders.
You really need to be on the other end to fully experience a .50 cal bullet.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 09:30 AM   #20
Murf993
Lieutenant
Murf993's Avatar
2171
Rep
562
Posts

Drives: Porsche 911
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
I'm frustrated with this legislation. I have no issues with people owing AR style stuff, and had thought of perhaps buying one one day myself, but don't really care one way or another.

But, what frustrates me is that he has ALSO banned all .50 cal rifles...and those I just really want to shoot to experience it. Not sure if I'd ever own one given how expensive they are and the ammo is, but I really wanted the OPTION to own one at least. And that frustrates me. I mean, when was the last time one of those was used in a mass murder? I don't remember hearing of one. I just don't understand why they were banned as well. Sure, they can reach a long distance, but you would also need to be pretty proficient with one too in order to use it at those distances. And for the large part, those of us that are enthusiasts who take the time to get proficient, are not going to go postal and commit mass murders.
Have a look at the list of what is banned....it includes RPG etc....damn, I was hoping to get one of those this year for Turkey season....

http://gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p2/2020/2...ors96-eng.html
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 09:35 AM   #21
NormanConquest
Brigadier General
2990
Rep
4,465
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
Have a look at the list of what is banned....it includes RPG etc....damn, I was hoping to get one of those this year for Turkey season....

http://gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p2/2020/2...ors96-eng.html
I see no issue with someone owning a RPG.
Appreciate 2
Murf9932170.50

      05-02-2020, 09:53 AM   #22
Sassicaia
Brigadier General
Sassicaia's Avatar
Canada
3457
Rep
3,069
Posts

Drives: SMB F80 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Vancouver, Canada

iTrader: (0)

This law was passed by the stupid to appease the stupid.

Canada does not have a gun problem.

Trudeau wanted to look like he responded but in actual fact did nothing.

He simply banned guns the look like they are for military use when in actual fact there are guns still legal with the EXACT same capability as ones that are banned.

What you witnessed here is what happens when you put a part time drama teacher in charge of a country.
Appreciate 3
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:20 AM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST