European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

02-28-2021, 05:27 PM   #749
joekmk-m3
Rep
Drives: BMW m3

Hey Guys,

Just got my v1 oleds and everything went well except ]for I can't get the rear inner trunk brake lights to work... I ran the extra 2pin wiring harness and still nothing. Any idea on what I'm doing wrong?

My m3 is a 2017 f80

These are the dk motion version.

I have no flickering problems at all.

I have a resistor/capacitor black and yellow wire and have no idea where that goes. I tried to put in on the other black/yellow combo wire and makes no difference.

[IMG]https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2539693&stc=1&d=161455 5020[/IMG
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 05:46 PM   #750
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
If it flickers, you have the wiring connected incorrectly more than likely.
Same issue I had and flicker went away after redoing wiring. Should be independent of changing the front lights or any DRL coding.
Hmmm for me it was literally plug and play. Didn’t need to use any of the extra wiring that was provided, just plugged everything into the harness that was on the back of the lights. Although I have a prelci 2015 f80, I have already did the LCI upgrade with the upgraded harness so it’s like installing it to an LCI car.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 05:47 PM   #751
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joekmk-m3 View Post
Hey Guys,

Just got my v1 oleds and everything went well except ]for I can't get the rear inner trunk brake lights to work... I ran the extra 2pin wiring harness and still nothing. Any idea on what I'm doing wrong?

My m3 is a 2017 f80

These are the dk motion version.

I have no flickering problems at all.

I have a resistor/capacitor black and yellow wire and have no idea where that goes. I tried to put in on the other black/yellow combo wire and makes no difference.

[IMG]https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2539693&stc=1&d=161455 5020[/IMG
V1 has no inner brake lights. I believe only the v2
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 06:10 PM   #752
Groganrocket
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90 335i and 2015m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
+1
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 06:15 PM   #753
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Quote:
Hmmm for me it was literally plug and play. Didn’t need to use any of the extra wiring that was provided, just plugged everything into the harness that was on the back of the lights. Although I have a prelci 2015 f80, I have already did the LCI upgrade with the upgraded harness so it’s like installing it to an LCI car.

Thoughts?
Couldn’t tell you for sure other than I have a pre LCI but didn’t do any LCI conversion and until I wired it “correctly” my reverse and rear fogs flickered. The extra wiring was only for the inner lights and didn’t have anything to do with how the main lights were connected in a sense, or as I remember that to be.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 06:52 PM   #754
joekmk-m3
Rep

Quote:
It has something in the middle where it would be the brake light and I can clearly see leds in there but it doesn't turn on at all.

I ran the 2 pin wire from the outside lights to the inner trunk lights and still nothing. Connecting or disconnecting the 2 pin wire nothing happens. Everything else works perfectly fine.

Any other ideas?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 06:56 PM   #755
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Couldn’t tell you for sure other than I have a pre LCI but didn’t do any LCI conversion and until I wired it “correctly” my reverse and rear fogs flickered. The extra wiring was only for the inner lights and didn’t have anything to do with how the main lights were connected in a sense, or as I remember that to be.
Thank you so much for the help!! I actually went down to my car and I figured it out.

So if any of you are having issues with the reverse light or the rear fog lights flickering FOR THE V1 TAILLIGHTS, this is what you do.

CREDIT goes to BZSBIMMER for the photo and making me think! =)

If you have access to coding software like bimmercode, first turn off the warm and cold checks and change the bulbs to LED. If you just change this via coding, your lights may still flicker...

If thats the case then I think whether you have an LCI or PRE LCI, you still need to plug in the extra harness that it comes with the v1 lights into your inner tail lights. So if you have a PRE LCI, you plug in the smaller harnesses (shown with pink arrows in the photo) into your taillight and vehicle harness. after that you need to close the loop and plug in the remaining harnesses (shown with the yellow arrows) into each other. If you have a LCI vehicle, then you plug the yellow arrow harnesses from the inner tails to your vehicle and close the pink arrow harnesses by plugging them into each other.

Problem solved!

=)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 06:58 PM   #756
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It has something in the middle where it would be the brake light and I can clearly see leds in there but it doesn't turn on at all.

I ran the 2 pin wire from the outside lights to the inner trunk lights and still nothing. Connecting or disconnecting the 2 pin wire nothing happens. Everything else works perfectly fine.

Any other ideas?
Those are the rear fog lights =) You can make them come on by using this guide by EAS: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1023817

not Brake lights.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 07:01 PM   #757
joekmk-m3
Rep

Quote:
Thank you so much for the help!! I actually went down to my car and I figured it out.

So if any of you are having issues with the reverse light or the rear fog lights flickering FOR THE V1 TAILLIGHTS, this is what you do.

CREDIT goes to BZSBIMMER for the photo and making me think! =)

If you have access to coding software like bimmercode, first turn off the warm and cold checks and change the bulbs to LED. If you just change this via coding, your lights may still flicker...

If thats the case then I think whether you have an LCI or PRE LCI, you still need to plug in the extra harness that it comes with the v1 lights into your inner tail lights. So if you have a PRE LCI, you plug in the smaller harnesses (shown with pink arrows in the photo) into your taillight and vehicle harness. after that you need to close the loop and plug in the remaining harnesses (shown with the yellow arrows) into each other. If you have a LCI vehicle, then you plug the yellow arrow harnesses from the inner tails to your vehicle and close the pink arrow harnesses by plugging them into each other.

Problem solved!

=)
Mine did not come this harness...

Not sure what model I have then.. it looks like v1 because the oleds don't have that line around the top and mine have a startup sequence too. I wish they would just include instructions for these.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 07:03 PM   #758
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Mine did not come this harness...

Not sure what model I have then.. it looks like v1 because the oleds don't have that line around the top and mine have a startup sequence too. I wish they would just include instructions for these.
Take a look at this thread to see which one you got: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=156

Left is V1 and right is v2
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 07:11 PM   #759
joekmk-m3
Rep

Quote:
Take a look at this thread to see which one you got: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=156

Left is V1 and right is v2
Yeah it's v1... With 5 oleds and no line across the top.

So I guess no rear inner brake lights.

Wow.. not sure if I like this...

So if those are rear fogs, they will be red colored?

Any idea what the extra black and yellow resistor / capacitor wire is for and how it's installed?

No harness either like the other posts. Weird...
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 07:14 PM   #760
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah it's v1... With 5 oleds and no line across the top.

So I guess no rear inner brake lights.

Wow.. not sure if I like this...

So if those are rear fogs, they will be red colored?

Any idea what the extra black and yellow resistor / capacitor wire is for and how it's installed?

No harness either like the other posts. Weird...
Hmm you shouldve gotten the inner harness. The rear fog lights are red (a bit lighter red than the brakes) and are only on when you click that button as mentioned in that thread.

Don't be bummed, the v1 and v2 both look awesome when installed!

The extra black and yellow wire isn't needed with our cars...or even the v1s I believe. I think they are just reusing the universal harness they have for all aftermarket taillights. I installed a different set of taillights on my friend's BMW and the yellow/black wires from the outer tails were used to plug into the inner tails for the turn signals to work. Not applicable here.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 07:23 PM   #761
joekmk-m3
Rep

Quote:
Hmm you shouldve gotten the inner harness. The rear fog lights are red (a bit lighter red than the brakes) and are only on when you click that button as mentioned in that thread.

Don't be bummed, the v1 and v2 both look awesome when installed!

The extra black and yellow wire isn't needed with our cars...or even the v1s I believe. I think they are just reusing the universal harness they have for all aftermarket taillights. I installed a different set of taillights on my friend's BMW and the yellow/black wires from the outer tails were used to plug into the inner tails for the turn signals to work. Not applicable here.
Thanks for the info. I guess I'm stuck with these for now or I might see if I can return them...

For those of you that have v2...

Does it have the same startup sequence and the brake light? 😂

Is the bayopiks version considered v2? From the pictures I've seen on their website it seems like it is.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 08:14 PM   #762
joekmk-m3
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I guess I'm stuck with these for now or I might see if I can return them...

For those of you that have v2...

Does it have the same startup sequence and the brake light? 😂

Is the bayopiks version considered v2? From the pictures I've seen on their website it seems like it is.
Yeah so I'm returning the v1's and just ordered the v2 bayoptiks.

I guess lesson learned.. do some research first. I just assumed they were all the same.

I don't feel comfortable not having the extra brake light. They do look sick though.

Thanks guys for all of your help.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 10:31 PM   #763
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

The V1’s do not have the same startup sequence as V2’s, so there’s that to decide later. The black and yellow resistor wire may not be needed for your year as they should only be needed to eliminate bulb out warnings and even my pre-LCI didn’t need anything for bulb out but they also didn’t come with resistors.

If they are not resistor wires and plug into the harness, then they are used to connect to the inner blinker to work with the signal switch. I know, confusing. If you turn on your hazards or signals while out of the car and they all work, then you don’t need that wiring, period. Mine did but ymmv.

I also was hesitant because not having trunk brake lights worried me but I also noticed that the current 3 or 5 series, can’t remember which, also don’t have trunk lights and only outer body brake lights, so maybe not a big issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 10:37 PM   #764
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The V1’s do not have the same startup sequence as V2’s, so there’s that to decide later. The black and yellow resistor wire may not be needed for your year as they should only be needed to eliminate bulb out warnings and even my pre-LCI didn’t need anything for bulb out but they also didn’t come with resistors.

If they are not resistor wires and plug into the harness, then they are used to connect to the inner blinker to work with the signal switch. I know, confusing. If you turn on your hazards or signals while out of the car and they all work, then you don’t need that wiring, period. Mine did but ymmv.

I also was hesitant because not having trunk brake lights worried me but I also noticed that the current 3 or 5 series, can’t remember which, also don’t have trunk lights and only outer body brake lights, so maybe not a big issue.

I actually have the OEM BMW Euro shadowline tail lights which I just replaced with the V1 taillights...those also only have brake lights in the outer portion as well. See photo of a screenshot when I was comparing both.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 08:27 AM   #765
hC1001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3

Thats correct, all original BMW tail lights only have brake lights on the corners. There is no brake lights on the trunk section.

Its the reason why you have to run the wire from the V2 corner light to the trunk to enable trunk section brake lights.

The real BMW M4 GTS/CS tail lights only have brake lights on the corners and none on the trunk section.
Appreciate 2
jpy19801581.50
_Timm334.00
      03-03-2021, 03:59 AM   #766
fortythirtyfive
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435i MS

I enquired about the F82/32 tail lights too and they were in the $880 region

What immediately put me off however is the reverse light, the lens is recessed inwards which looks pretty ugly.

03-03-2021, 05:21 PM   #767
phantome46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Convertible - Sakhir

Watching closely for the F82/f83 M4 versions. Hope we get the choice of V1 and V2 at the same time
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 08:07 AM   #768
murmur
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 SO M3, 17 X5M, 18 M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM808 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryhsiao View Post
Bayoptiks sells the exact Vland brand taillight from China with the same taped sticker on the connectors in Chinese. (I've asked multiple youtubers purchased from Bayoptiks and they confirmed)

They are simply offering you $230 on top of $420 total shipping for that 1 year warranty and faster shipping due to domestic instead of international.

Alibaba sellers in China will cover the shipping if you do not like the product and will do a full refund.

Mine arrived in 10 days from China with 2 small scratches that i may be able to buff off. And they offered me total shipback and refund or $50 compensation.
I took the $50 compensation since from far, it's not that visible. Also the one from Bayoptiks will be having the same risk of possibly original defect up due the product is imported directly from China.

Either
1. you can buy from alibaba around $420 and wait 10 days
https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...7b242fc2tr6MQl
Tell Patrick Fan (very responsive sales support) that Bryan sent you.

2. or buy it from the official vlandus which offers free shipping in US ($490) with 1 year warranty.
https://www.vlandus.com/collections/...f30-rear-lamps

I would not want to pay $160-230 just for a reseller brand name like Bayoptiks.
Hey man, I saw your review on Patrick Fans item. I just ordered a pair about a week ago and like you said, great seller and very responsive. Anyways, I was wondering since I didn’t see any videos on his site but do the taillights he sell have the startup lighting sequence? I know for the most part all taillights sold in Alibaba are the same but just wanted to confirm. Thanks!
Turns out Vland is out of stock and the linked Alibaba site has a different person responding , Amos ...: any one with experience dealing with them, price is also 400 plus 61 for shipping to US.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 08:36 AM   #769
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortythirtyfive View Post
I enquired about the F82/32 tail lights too and they were in the $880 region

What immediately put me off however is the reverse light, the lens is recessed inwards which looks pretty ugly.

Eww, that looks cheap.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 12:24 PM   #770
apar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Eww, that looks cheap.
The taillights look really good from afar in person, which is why they look great in photos, but if you ever get close to them you can tell they are aftermarket. That being said I'm still glad we have an affordable option for GTS style taillights
Appreciate 1
NickyC17445.00