BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

07-07-2021, 04:07 AM   #23
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reprosal View Post
Fuel stabilizer or anything needed? I live in Canada, it will be kept in a heated garage but I worry about plugs or gas going bad.
How long are you parking it? If few weeks at a time, then no. If 6 months, then I'd pour a bottle of Stabil before you hibernate, pump up tires and put it on a battery tender.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 07:40 AM   #24
jase01
Rep
Drives: GLC63 and soon to be M3

Some great feedback here guys. I pulled the trigger today I put down a deposit on a low mileage 2018 model. I’ve wanted one of these for a very long time, and to say I’m absolutely pumped about taking delivery next week is an understatement.

I love the modest, plain interior. The merc is way too flashy and distracting. I love that it can fly under the radar on the road and not scream “look at me”. And the boot space, phenomenal for a sedan! It will be my very first rear wheel drive car, so I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little scared. But I’ll take it slow to begin with a learn the car.

Really looking forward to my journey with the M3.
Appreciate 7
      07-07-2021, 08:21 AM   #25
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

You're gonna absolutely love this car!!!!!

I keep a fresh set of tires; perfectly balanced perfectly aligned. Also spot on with all maintenance.

Car has been stellar!!!

Car is a f-ing highway assassin!!!
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2021, 08:28 AM   #26
ellipsis212
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
3 years, 25k miles, nothing but oil/fluid changes and spark plugs.

Oh and $25k in completely unnecessary mods! 😂
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 03:21 PM   #27
icebiker
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F83 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jase01 View Post
Some great feedback here guys. I pulled the trigger today I put down a deposit on a low mileage 2018 model. I've wanted one of these for a very long time, and to say I'm absolutely pumped about taking delivery next week is an understatement.

I love the modest, plain interior. The merc is way too flashy and distracting. I love that it can fly under the radar on the road and not scream "look at me". And the boot space, phenomenal for a sedan! It will be my very first rear wheel drive car, so I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little scared. But I'll take it slow to begin with a learn the car.

Really looking forward to my journey with the M3.
Congrats!!! We want pics when it arrives!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 09:14 AM   #28
kwikshift
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
How long are you parking it? If few weeks at a time, then no. If 6 months, then I'd pour a bottle of Stabil before you hibernate, pump up tires and put it on a battery tender.
I'm going to store my M this winter due to Chicagoland winters. Any psi recommendation to inflate the tires to avoid flat spots? Ideally, I'd like to get my hands on a used set to mount over the winter.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 09:31 AM   #29
rmanm4
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikshift View Post
I'm going to store my M this winter due to Chicagoland winters. Any psi recommendation to inflate the tires to avoid flat spots? Ideally, I'd like to get my hands on a used set to mount over the winter.
Do not let your car sit on expensive (newer) tires! You are better off putting your car on jack stands!

If you cant jack your car up or change your tires to crappy ones, then set your PSI to max tires allow + 5psi.

Make sure you do a oil change AFTER you winter storing!
Make sure you leave 1/4 tank gas and put some stabilizer in it, then fill with new top gas right away after!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 10:42 AM   #30
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

2015 M3 still running strong with no problems.

Just got back from my 7th and final deployment and the car sat for 10.5 months.

Full tank with stabilizer, battery tender, some extra air in the tires. Started right up with no problems and went and got the oil changed first week back.

Slight flat spotting of my tires but that went away after about 100 miles.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 02:29 PM   #31
Eurosonly
car addicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m4

So what happened with the glc 63? I was thinking about getting one to daily drive because I thought there were pretty well built.

Euros
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2021, 02:53 AM   #32
jase01
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurosonly View Post
So what happened with the glc 63? I was thinking about getting one to daily drive because I thought there were pretty well built.

Euros
In 2 years I’ve had 3 warranty claims. My first claim was having the whole dash replaced due to ‘leather’ peeling around some areas and bubbling. They tried to reupholster but didn’t work.

Front wheel bearings got replaced due to be faulty. And my worst problem was losing all power on a freeway. Lost total power, every light on the dash started flashing and ended up being towed. Turns out a cracked wiring connector caused electrical failure. And to top it all off, just received a recall notice in the mail for the starter motor wiring causing potential fire. I’m over it. Car only has 25,000kms.

Paid big money for it. On the surface it looks amazing, the car is an absolute weapon to drive, but the quality is atrocious. Also had a brand new A35, had all sorts of electrical issues and error codes Sold that too. Lots of technology, lots of stuff failing.

Oh and I go through a set of tyres every year, the whole front end “crab walks” when in full lock in the cold (Every model has this issue and merc cannot fix as it’s suspension geometry) and my 3rd upcoming service is $3600 AUD. These things I knew before purchase and could live with that IF the thing was reliable.

**end rant**
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2021, 02:59 AM   #33
jase01
Rep

On another note, just had my M3 inspected and the mechanic found this. He said it’s an oil weep. Potentially from the o-ring at the bottom Of the oil dipstick cylinder. He’s sure it isn’t coming from the sump. He doesn’t see it as a major issue but worth talking to bmw about with warranty if gets worse over time. Car still has 1 year warranty. Car only has 16,000 kms on the odometer. Is this common? Should I be worried?

Everything else checked out ok.
Attached Images

Last edited by jase01; 07-10-2021 at 03:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2021, 10:15 AM   #34
AlmondJayRoM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jase01 View Post
On another note, just had my M3 inspected and the mechanic found this. He said it’s an oil weep. Potentially from the o-ring at the bottom Of the oil dipstick cylinder. He’s sure it isn’t coming from the sump. He doesn’t see it as a major issue but worth talking to bmw about with warranty if gets worse over time. Car still has 1 year warranty. Car only has 16,000 kms on the odometer. Is this common? Should I be worried?

Everything else checked out ok.
The F80 doesn’t have an oil dipstick. It does have an oil level sensor which happens to be the component in the bottom left of your picture. Oil filter housing gasket and valve cover gasket are the most common leakers. Oil pan is less common.

Regardless, since your car has a warranty, you might as well get it fixed. Leaks don’t usually get better with time.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 10:11 AM   #35
Oldschoolandy
Rep
Drives: Mercedes ML350

I’m shopping for an F80 and am glad to hear it’s so reliable. I’m a little surprised. My E92 was pretty bulletproof although the stupid seat belt gizmo was broken when I bought it used…
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 06:40 AM   #36
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
2015 M3 still running strong with no problems.

Just got back from my 7th and final deployment and the car sat for 10.5 months.

Full tank with stabilizer, battery tender, some extra air in the tires. Started right up with no problems and went and got the oil changed first week back.

Slight flat spotting of my tires but that went away after about 100 miles.
Welcome home. Nothing better to come home to than an M car waiting on you. Family yeah they are important too! LOL

Thanks for your service. Know how it feels. Only 4 under my belt but retirement soon after 25+ yrs! . Just got ta 2016 M4 as a replacement for the 2015 M3 I sold much to soon when I got stationed in snow covered Nebraska!
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0