GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

05-06-2016, 05:41 AM   #67
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

I think this is why most just get the M grills from the local dealer.
      05-06-2016, 05:53 AM   #68
ClawHammer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible SS/SS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
I think this is why most just get the M grills from the local dealer.
I managed to fit them last night. My hands are like shredded carrots but with a bit more patience and some ingenuity I got that first grill out. From then onwards its a doddle.

Problem with going to dealership is they want £200 odd for the M4 grills plus whatever it costs to fit. Whereas I paid £99 for the grills. I'm not a tights arse but I don't want to have my pants blatantly pulled down. My dealership told me the 4 series m sport kidney grills wouldn't fit when I tried to order them. They fit perfectly for less than half the price.

My issue with the IND video is that it's completely misleading potential customers just so they can make more sales. I'm certain less people would buy their grills if they showed the guy releasing the other 5 clips and shredding his hand in the process. Plus the video would be a lot longer. Their relaxing music and the grill falling out having released the top three clips just isn't reality.

I'll try and post some images later.

CH.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 06:19 AM   #69
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawHammer View Post
I managed to fit them last night. My hands are like shredded carrots but with a bit more patience and some ingenuity I got that first grill out. From then onwards its a doddle.

Problem with going to dealership is they want £200 odd for the M4 grills plus whatever it costs to fit. Whereas I paid £99 for the grills. I'm not a tights arse but I don't want to have my pants blatantly pulled down. My dealership told me the 4 series m sport kidney grills wouldn't fit when I tried to order them. They fit perfectly for less than half the price.

My issue with the IND video is that it's completely misleading potential customers just so they can make more sales. I'm certain less people would buy their grills if they showed the guy releasing the other 5 clips and shredding his hand in the process. Plus the video would be a lot longer. Their relaxing music and the grill falling out having released the top three clips just isn't reality.

CH.
I hear you, I fitted my black grills on my old M5 but it was a PITA although I did get the grills as a whole unit, this time round I got the dealer to do them before I picked the car up, although I did do the black badge and exhaust tips myself.

Well done on sorting it.
      05-06-2016, 04:41 PM   #70
ClawHammer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2
Quote:

CH.
I hear you, I fitted my black grills on my old M5 but it was a PITA although I did get the grills as a whole unit, this time round I got the dealer to do them before I picked the car up, although I did do the black badge and exhaust tips myself.

Well done on sorting it.
Can you tell me how you did your exhaust tips? I'm trying to get mine black chromed but struggling to find a local company to do this. Did you powder coat them black?

CH.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 05:23 PM   #71
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Can you tell me how you did your exhaust tips? I'm trying to get mine black chromed but struggling to find a local company to do this. Did you powder coat them black?

CH.
No I got the CP ones from the dealer IIRC they were about £130 for the 4 + the CP black badge was £20 so the car is now fully de-chromed.

I fitted them myself, well I got a mechanic friend to get the chrome ones off as the original ones were a bit tight, the new ones then simply slid on.
      05-06-2016, 11:35 PM   #72
ClawHammer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

CH.
No I got the CP ones from the dealer IIRC they were about £130 for the 4 + the CP black badge was £20 so the car is now fully de-chromed.

I fitted them myself, well I got a mechanic friend to get the chrome ones off as the original ones were a bit tight, the new ones then simply slid on.
Thank Wiils2. Don't suppose you know the part numbers for the exhaust tips. I can't seem to find these online anywhere.
Thanks,

CH.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 04:23 AM   #73
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Thank Wiils2. Don't suppose you know the part numbers for the exhaust tips. I can't seem to find these online anywhere.
Thanks,

CH.
I do!

If you want the CP badge as well it's 51148068579 for the M4.

Last edited by Wills2; 05-07-2016 at 06:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 03:29 PM   #74
ClawHammer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks,

CH.
I do!

If you want the CP badge as well it's 51148068579 for the M4.
Thanks for this Wills. I'll be ordering black chrome tailpipes and the black badge (not sure if I'll fit this) tomorrow and hope to fit them Fri/Sat along with the replacement side gills (I sent the first ones back because they were faulty). I assume the tailpipes are really easy to swap. Anybody have experience of this to confirm what's involved?

The only other change I want to make is to possibly lower it slightly. Just bothered about the warranty aspect of it though. Only way to keep warranty is to get ACS ones but Lorcan confirmed they don't do them for the F83. It'll be Eibach then but wonder why, seeing as they make the factory fitted springs for the M, it would affect the warranty. Is it worth the risk? Should I speak to dealership/BMW UK to find out exactly what I'm voiding on the warranty?
Cheers,

CH.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 03:45 PM   #75
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: C63s - S205 - Brilliant Blue

Quote:
Thanks for this Wills. I'll be ordering black chrome tailpipes and the black badge (not sure if I'll fit this) tomorrow and hope to fit them Fri/Sat along with the replacement side gills (I sent the first ones back because they were faulty). I assume the tailpipes are really easy to swap. Anybody have experience of this to confirm what's involved?

The only other change I want to make is to possibly lower it slightly. Just bothered about the warranty aspect of it though. Only way to keep warranty is to get ACS ones but Lorcan confirmed they don't do them for the F83. It'll be Eibach then but wonder why, seeing as they make the factory fitted springs for the M, it would affect the warranty. Is it worth the risk? Should I speak to dealership/BMW UK to find out exactly what I'm voiding on the warranty?
Cheers,

CH.
I found a how to when i did mine. But i cannot find it.

I think I put the claw/hook side of a hammer head at the back of the tip and the hit it a lot with a rubber hammer. They are very tight.

Then to put the new ones on line them up place a piece of wood over the end and hit a lot with a rubber hammer.

Doesn't damage the tips taking them off either.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 03:57 PM   #76
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
I managed to do one tip myself just pulling it off, if they are tight then get a piece of wood and then hit them from behind (which my mechanic did with the others as they were very tight) sliding the new ones on is easy just make sure you push them all the way on.

Oh and black badge will look great on SS.
      05-09-2016, 04:23 PM   #77
ClawHammer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Damn it! I hate having to use brute force to get things off/on. I'll be crying as I hit £60k worth of car with a hammer. I was hoping for some nice little screws or something. Next Monday's post will be asking how to repair the hammer shaped hole in my bumper and pricing up replacement exhaust system. Won't it damage something along the exhaust or where it connects to the engine if I'm smacking it with a hammer to get the new tips on?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 04:44 PM   #78
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Damn it! I hate having to use brute force to get things off/on. I'll be crying as I hit £60k worth of car with a hammer. I was hoping for some nice little screws or something. Next Monday's post will be asking how to repair the hammer shaped hole in my bumper and pricing up replacement exhaust system. Won't it damage something along the exhaust or where it connects to the engine if I'm smacking it with a hammer to get the new tips on?
Its these kinds of things (hammer on car) where my missus would come out and ask what the hell I am in doing to my car!!! lol

Women, they dont understand.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 05:27 PM   #79
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
More of a progressive tap from behind on the trim piece with a piece of wood and a hammer just to get the tip to start moving.

Easier if you can get it on a ramp or on axle stands as you'll do it from behind the exhaust back box, but you can lay down and get to them as well without that.
      05-09-2016, 05:47 PM   #80
ClawHammer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
More of a progressive tap from behind on the trim piece with a piece of wood and a hammer just to get the tip to start moving.

Easier if you can get it on a ramp or on axle stands as you'll do it from behind the exhaust back box, but you can lay down and get to them as well without that.
Thanks Wills. I'll be lying under my car most of Friday afternoon/evening gently tapping away. I'm sure they'll work free eventually. I guess it's a case of being patient and not going crazy with it so as to not cause damage. The neighbours are going to wonder what the hell in doing. I'll report back at the weekend hopefully with some new images with all the black parts on.

Thanks for the tips so far

CH.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 03:05 AM   #81
JacksoB
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 in Mineral Grey

Garage List
2016 F83  [0.00]
2014 Discovery HSE Lux  [0.00]
You're a braver man than me CH! I had the CP tips fitted by my dealer on collection and am getting them to fit the CP boot lid badge today whilst it's in for the RI service
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 06:43 AM   #82
ClawHammer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksoB
You're a braver man than me CH! I had the CP tips fitted by my dealer on collection and am getting them to fit the CP boot lid badge today whilst it's in for the RI service
Braver, no. Stupider, probably. Not sure I'll be doing the badge though.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 03:55 PM   #83
ClawHammer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
So I finally got the black tips on today. I tried last week but just wasn't brave enough to hit it very hard. Went outside today and gave it a bit more welly and they came off easily. Used a rubber hammer to get the new ones on. All told I reckon it took me 30 mins. Just the black badge to go on now. This will be done when it goes in for the 1200 mile service. Then I'll make a decision on whether I'm going to lower it a bit or not. Apart from painting engine cover, I think that'll be it for me.

CH.

Last edited by ClawHammer; 05-23-2016 at 04:10 PM..
Appreciate 2
      05-23-2016, 04:20 PM   #84
JacksoB
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 in Mineral Grey

Garage List
2016 F83  [0.00]
2014 Discovery HSE Lux  [0.00]
Looks stunning CH, and the sun was shining for you too! I want to take some shots of mine but the combination of decent weather, a clean car and time to take the photos just isn't happening at the mo. Black badge will set that rear off perfectly. Nice.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 04:36 PM   #85
Ronniewales
Enlisted Member
Wales
Rep
Drives: M4 Conv &X1 xDrive 18d M Sport

Very nice but until I read your profile I thought the colour looked Frozen Silver...
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 04:44 PM   #86
ClawHammer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksoB
Looks stunning CH, and the sun was shining for you too! I want to take some shots of mine but the combination of decent weather, a clean car and time to take the photos just isn't happening at the mo. Black badge will set that rear off perfectly. Nice.
Thanks JacksoB. Yeah, looking forward to getting rid of that last bit of chrome (pet hate of mine) and also being able to open the car up properly. June 1st should be a good day

CH.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 04:47 PM   #87
ClawHammer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronniewales
Very nice but until I read your profile I thought the colour looked Frozen Silver...
I was so close to getting frozen silver at one point. I read up a lot on the frozen colours and I just wouldn't have had the nerve to care for it properly. I also figured that if I regretted it then I could always have it wrapped with a certain type of PPF that gives it the same effect as frozen paint whilst protecting the car. Probably wouldn't have been that much difference in price too.

CH.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 04:55 PM   #88
Ronniewales
Enlisted Member
Wales
Rep
Drives: M4 Conv &X1 xDrive 18d M Sport

I passed a SS on the M4 last week near reading.... it made me take a second look as I shot past it thought it looked classy and it stood out.
Appreciate 0