European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

06-06-2020, 12:55 PM   #1
joooiiiiii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

Long Term Storage Question

so I tried researching some information regarding long term storage. I'm leaving to Germany for a year again but this time I will be storing the M3 in a garage. The things I've done before I left this morning was:

Fuel stabilizer for gas
Oil change
Car cover
BMW Battery Charging system

I've followed instructions for the charging system and it stated that it could be plugged in indefinitely, however, someone mentioned that seems a bit much. Is there anything wrong with keeping it on the battery tender for a year?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 04:30 PM   #2
hC1001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joooiiiiii View Post
so I tried researching some information regarding long term storage. I'm leaving to Germany for a year again but this time I will be storing the M3 in a garage. The things I've done before I left this morning was:

Fuel stabilizer for gas
Oil change
Car cover
BMW Battery Charging system

I've followed instructions for the charging system and it stated that it could be plugged in indefinitely, however, someone mentioned that seems a bit much. Is there anything wrong with keeping it on the battery tender for a year?
Nothing wrong with the tender connected. Do you have anyone who can take the car out every month to get the fluids hot and circulated? I would do that if possible.

Some ppl also recommend you lift the car up onto jackstands so the tires dont develop flat spots if you cant move it once in a while.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 06:31 PM   #3
joooiiiiii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hC1001 View Post
Nothing wrong with the tender connected. Do you have anyone who can take the car out every month to get the fluids hot and circulated? I would do that if possible.

Some ppl also recommend you lift the car up onto jackstands so the tires dont develop flat spots if you cant move it once in a while.
Yeah I don't have anyone to do all that. My uncle is terrible with cars (no mechanical skills) and his driveway is so steep im 100% sure he would flatten my midpipe getting out of there.

I wasn't able to put it on Jackson's but I could see about overinflating the tires while its sitting there.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 10:23 AM   #4
Ropes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 CS

Inflate the tires to the max, fresh oil change, full fuel tank with stabilizer, dryer sheets inside the car and battery tender. If no tender available then disconnect the battery. I also like to have a good wash and wax prior to storage as well.
Appreciate 0