Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

05-24-2020, 05:22 PM   #1
///M-pressed
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F82 M4

Review: MSS springs with B6 EDC dampers

Anyone feel free to chime in here, but apart from Imran from Evolve, I believe I'm one of the few around running this set-up.

Backstory: Getting the MSS springs to work with the B6 dampers was a royal pain as the adjusters that came with the kit wouldn't work with the B6 dampers. It was finally solved in the end thankfully as MSS sent new adjusters as they have modified the kit a bit and the adjusters now sit at the top of the strut instead of the bottom.

How they feel: I'm very happy with the results. The car feels solid, has good turn in and less body roll. It has a slightly firmer ride than stock but it is very compliant and doesn't feel as firm as coilovers. I feel as if the car can put its power down a bit better but overall just the way it has made the car feel to me is what has pleased me the most.

Comfort mode: Slightly firmer than stock but compliant
Sport: Firmer than stock
Sport +:

With the stock set-up, as everyone else laments, it feels a bit floaty and crashy. That has gone.

The only gripe I have, is I wish that the front end was a bit lower but I guess I will have to live with it. The rear is perfect. Here's an image of how my car sits:

F82 M4 | 6-speed manual | PP performance Stage 2 tune | Re-valved Bilstein B16s | VRSF midpipe | OEM CS front splitter | OEM GTS hood | OEM M-performance rear diffuser| Evolve tuning catless downpipes | 310rwkw (415rwhp)
Appreciate 2
      05-24-2020, 07:11 PM   #2
AMGHUNTR
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 Bmw M3

Thats deceiving because in the videos they post on YouTube the front end looks like it would go much lower. What made you choose this over the KW HAS kit?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 08:07 PM   #3
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMGHUNTR View Post
Thats deceiving because in the videos they post on YouTube the front end looks like it would go much lower. What made you choose this over the KW HAS kit?
KW HAS doesn't fit B6D shocks so MSS is the only option for height adjustable springs.
      05-24-2020, 08:23 PM   #4
parabmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 m4

How much is the lowering in the front?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 08:42 PM   #5
AMGHUNTR
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 Bmw M3

Gotcha! Are you fully cranked down on height both front and rear? I was leaning toward the MSS aswell but the 200 extra bucks didn't make sence over the KW HAS for 700
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 01:42 AM   #6
///M-pressed
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I'm running the B6 dampers

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabmw View Post
How much is the lowering in the front?
They state 0-30mm, but I'm not so sure..

Quote:
Gotcha! Are you fully cranked down on height both front and rear? I was leaning toward the MSS aswell but the 200 extra bucks didn't make sence over the KW HAS for 700
The guys at the workshop said they're on their lowest setting. Maybe it's because it has top adjusters now and they haven't got the same level of adjustment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRunner///M View Post
Ride is stiffer, but actually more comfortable and compliant.

Yeah that nails it exactly.

Did you get the new B6's that Evolve/MSS are developing for this kit? The older style front had adjustors at the top, new kit (Feb>) have the lower adjustors. So you had to revert to top adjustors? The front adjustor position doesn't really matter as the fronts are easy to adjust by hand due to no spring tension. Rear seems impossible to adjust without dropping the arm as too much tension.
I ordered these back in March, and the kit came with different adjusters that Evolve weren't aware of. There was a bit of back and forth but in the end MSS sent me new adjusters that sit at the top.
F82 M4 | 6-speed manual | PP performance Stage 2 tune | Re-valved Bilstein B16s | VRSF midpipe | OEM CS front splitter | OEM GTS hood | OEM M-performance rear diffuser| Evolve tuning catless downpipes | 310rwkw (415rwhp)
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 05:32 PM   #7
Trevorstein
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Trabant

Hey,

* B6 EDC + MSS

Cheers!

05-25-2020, 06:57 PM   #8
///M-pressed
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRunner///M View Post
There's a lot in this thread on MSS. Some find its not low enough. 0-30mm, but rear must be at least 5mm higher. Also I believe the B6's ride higher than OE dampers.

See https://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/threa....222370/page-9

Also here is a full -30mm on front example (not my car)
Yeah apparently the B8 shock is designed for lowering springs, but not the B6. However, the B8 hasn't got a EDC option.

That M3 looks slightly lower than mine in the front, but it's hard to tell as it looks like they're also running a higher profile tyre. I'd like to come down in the front another 10-15mm, but not sure if I am going to achieve that with the MSS springs unless they offer more adjustment or a shorter spring.

But, function over form in this case as the car drives really well.
Appreciate 2