ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

12-01-2022, 03:56 PM   #1
///bproden
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

M4 Vibration Front Brakes - Second Replacement at 14k miles

I know this has been posted a few times, but hoping someone has feedback on what they had done to resolve this issue. BMW is denying any request at this point.

My 2015 M4 has 14k miles and has had the front brake pads and rotors replaced once already. The same vibration while braking has came back. I have never tracked my car nor braked hard. I have only driven for pleasure, usually weekend driver. It has never been driven in the rain and stored inside a climate controlled garage. Yes, the car is not new, but rotors should have a wear and tear based off mileage.

I have never had a car that has needed 3 sets of rotors and pads done within 14k miles of driving. I think there must be another issue that leads to this, or something wrong with either the calipers or OEM pads.

Any help on someone else's outcome or recommendations to who to speak with at BMW is appreciated. I love BMW and have had several bmw vehicles in the past and other I currently own, but dealing with this and the lack of any acknowledgement for this makes me never want to purchase any other vehicles from them in the future.

The local dealership quoted me $7k to replace the rotors and pads.

Last edited by ///bproden; 12-01-2022 at 04:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2022, 10:31 PM   #2
uncle ben
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

I’m not sure what is happening to your brakes, but it sounds like pad deposits on the discs. Usually you get those from tracking, but maybe the pads are leaving deposits for some other reason.

Don’t go with the $7000 oem option. It makes no sense to replace them for a fourth time. If you are going to spend the money, at least upgrade. You can get some Girodisc front and rear discs and some pfc brake pads. Shouldn’t run you more than $4000 and will be a major upgrade.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 08:54 AM   #3
MaX PL
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

I'm not one to talk as I'm at 40k miles in 8 years, but I suspect your lack of driving the car is resulting in something going on with pad deposit like the previous poster mentioned.

You're lucky they've been courteous enough to swap the brakes three times now to be honest.

If you want the vibration to go away, look up the procedure for bedding in pads and follow that. If you don't feel comfortable doing it, find someone who will.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 02:50 PM   #4
markw10702
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: GTMore Anyone?

Before you removed the offending rotors, did you check the run-out to verify it is actually the rotor?

You may also want to check your front ball joints on your control arms. Worn ball joints can amplify the slightest bit of rotor warp (assuming that is the issue) especially under heavy braking.

Have you got the rotors really hot and then drove through a deep puddle? The cold water against the hot rotors can sometimes shock the rotors and warp them.

$7k seems like a lot for front rotors and pads (unless you have the CCB option). I'd certainly consider Girodisc ($1,300 for a set of front rotors) and pads as uncle ben suggested. I've had good luck with Hawk and Stoptech Sport pads. Purchase your pads from FCP Euro (keep the receipt). When they wear out you buy a new set and send your old set in with receipt and they refund your purchase price.

Definitely check those ball joints though.

Last edited by markw10702; 12-12-2022 at 03:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 04:04 PM   #5
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Wheel bearings?
Appreciate 1
reprod148.00
      12-15-2022, 01:13 PM   #6
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///bproden View Post
I know this has been posted a few times, but hoping someone has feedback on what they had done to resolve this issue. BMW is denying any request at this point.

My 2015 M4 has 14k miles and has had the front brake pads and rotors replaced once already. The same vibration while braking has came back. I have never tracked my car nor braked hard. I have only driven for pleasure, usually weekend driver. It has never been driven in the rain and stored inside a climate controlled garage. Yes, the car is not new, but rotors should have a wear and tear based off mileage.

I have never had a car that has needed 3 sets of rotors and pads done within 14k miles of driving. I think there must be another issue that leads to this, or something wrong with either the calipers or OEM pads.

Any help on someone else's outcome or recommendations to who to speak with at BMW is appreciated. I love BMW and have had several bmw vehicles in the past and other I currently own, but dealing with this and the lack of any acknowledgement for this makes me never want to purchase any other vehicles from them in the future.

The local dealership quoted me $7k to replace the rotors and pads.
Check the wear on the pads, see if it's consistent around. If not, it could be a stuck caliper or a piston retracting issue.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 12:16 AM   #7
2legit
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I had the exact same issue when my front brakes were replaced. In fact the BMW dealership chaged it twice but vibration persisted.the BMW dealership could not figure out the issue.Rear brakes were replaced by a motorsport shop causing the vibration to resolve completely. Have them look at your rear brakes.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 05:04 AM   #8
mapster37
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

What wheels are you running?
Appreciate 0