Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

07-23-2022, 05:50 PM   #639
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGut12 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendWarriorz View Post
Here's an update to the OP's car. Almost two years later the replacement charge air cooler failed again. The car is at 42k miles and on its second charge air cooler.

Codes found via MHD include:
108C01- Charge air temperature, plausibility:temperature too high
120408- Charging pressure control: Switch-off as consequential reaction
20A201- Charge air, cooling system: Dry-run detected
i just got these same codes when pulling up my codes on MHD. so this pretty much means my tmic is screwed and i should upgrade? or what else do i need to do? did coolant more than likely leak into the intake manifold like your original post? i don't know what to do, any help appreciated. i will check the j pipe and coolant level once i'm home after the weekend to see what's going on but i can't right now, just worried.
Most likely. Check the reservoir and if it's dry, time for a new charge air cooler.
2021 M2 Competition DCT Hockenheim Silver
Appreciate 1
BGut12100.50
      07-23-2022, 05:52 PM   #640
BGut12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGut12 View Post
Quote:
Here's an update to the OP's car. Almost two years later the replacement charge air cooler failed again. The car is at 42k miles and on its second charge air cooler.

Codes found via MHD include:
108C01- Charge air temperature, plausibility:temperature too high
120408- Charging pressure control: Switch-off as consequential reaction
20A201- Charge air, cooling system: Dry-run detected
i just got these same codes when pulling up my codes on MHD. so this pretty much means my tmic is screwed and i should upgrade? or what else do i need to do? did coolant more than likely leak into the intake manifold like your original post? i don't know what to do, any help appreciated. i will check the j pipe and coolant level once i'm home after the weekend to see what's going on but i can't right now, just worried.
Most likely. Check the reservoir and if it's dry, time for a new charge air cooler.
ok appreciate it. i'll be sure to check that.
      07-27-2022, 09:57 PM   #641
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

I was cleaning up my engine bay this past weekend as I was taking it in for servicing this past Monday (I like to make it look like I care to the tech hah), and did my monthly check of the coolant level for the intercooler reservoir. For the first time in five years of ownership of an F8x, the level actually dropped (I'd say it was about half the normal level)! I have a 15 now with just under 60k miles, so figured I had a leak and asked the BMW tech to please check for any said leaks. They pressure tested the entire system, found no leaks, and filled her up. I'll be keeping a very close eye on it the new couple weeks however for sure.

It's been very very hot around here lately, and they said it was normal for it to lose a bit of coolant. I only half believe that but we'll see!
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2022, 06:12 PM   #642
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
I was cleaning up my engine bay this past weekend as I was taking it in for servicing this past Monday (I like to make it look like I care to the tech hah), and did my monthly check of the coolant level for the intercooler reservoir. For the first time in five years of ownership of an F8x, the level actually dropped (I'd say it was about half the normal level)! I have a 15 now with just under 60k miles, so figured I had a leak and asked the BMW tech to please check for any said leaks. They pressure tested the entire system, found no leaks, and filled her up. I'll be keeping a very close eye on it the new couple weeks however for sure.

It's been very very hot around here lately, and they said it was normal for it to lose a bit of coolant. I only half believe that but we'll see!
The only way the fluid inside the system can evaporate is if you're running the car extremely hard where intake air temperatures are close to boiling, another thing I've seen on B58 powered cars is the cap for the reservoir system doesn't seal properly allowing the heat from the engine bay to actually make the fluid evaporate. On this platform I've seen neither and it's almost always guaranteed that the charge air cooler is leaking.

On another note if you replace the charge air cooler. I do not recommend getting a piece like VRSF, BMS, CSF etc unless you're just looking for a cheap replacement to get by. Those are guaranteed
to lose power.
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2022, 07:28 PM   #643
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
The only way the fluid inside the system can evaporate is if you're running the car extremely hard where intake air temperatures are close to boiling, another thing I've seen on B58 powered cars is the cap for the reservoir system doesn't seal properly allowing the heat from the engine bay to actually make the fluid evaporate. On this platform I've seen neither and it's almost always guaranteed that the charge air cooler is leaking.

On another note if you replace the charge air cooler. I do not recommend getting a piece like VRSF, BMS, CSF etc unless you're just looking for a cheap replacement to get by. Those are guaranteed
to lose power.
We'll see thanks, it's week and a half later and the level hasn't dropped. If it goes, I'm just getting another stock unit.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 06:39 PM   #644
KevM2
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 F87 M2C, 2023 G87 M2

Garage List
BMW M2 Competition  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

to lose power.
Wow could you please elaborate on why CSF would be losing power?? I'm about to install it on my car and it was definitely not cheap on the wallet so I'm very curious to know what's cheap and how it loses power when many race cars use this one
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 06:47 PM   #645
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevM2 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

to lose power.
Wow could you please elaborate on why CSF would be losing power?? I'm about to install it on my car and it was definitely not cheap on the wallet so I'm very curious to know what's cheap and how it loses power when many race cars use this one

Video speaks for itself. The Mishimoto unit is the best charge air cooler for the money and they have extensive R&D/real logging on their website. There are a few others which are good but they are much more costly.
Appreciate 1
KevM2721.50
      08-06-2022, 07:08 PM   #646
1FZFE
Private
Rep
Drives: Lucid

Quote:
many race cars use this one
What many race cars?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 08:55 PM   #647
KevM2
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

to lose power.

Video speaks for itself. The Mishimoto unit is the best charge air cooler for the money and they have extensive R&D/real logging on their website. There are a few others which are good but they are much more costly.
Thanks for bringing this to my attention before I went ahead with installing it. Needless to say, I'm very disappointed and I'll be looking at getting either Mishimoto, BMS, or the more costly Bimmerworld one.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 11:14 PM   #648
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

to lose power.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention before I went ahead with installing it. Needless to say, I'm very disappointed and I'll be looking at getting either Mishimoto, BMS, or the more costly Bimmerworld one.
Mishimoto, bimmer world, or Garret.

For the money, you can't beat Mishimoto
Appreciate 1
Rokoz293.00
      08-07-2022, 07:13 AM   #649
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Mishi
Mishi
Mishi
      08-07-2022, 10:33 PM   #650
KevM2
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Good to see Mishi is getting more votes. I'm really trying to pick the best one in terms of reliability and also not losing any power… what do you guys think of the Wagner one? Only downside to it seems to be some slight modification needed for fitment
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 10:37 PM   #651
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Good to see Mishi is getting more votes. I'm really trying to pick the best one in terms of reliability and also not losing any power… what do you guys think of the Wagner one? Only downside to it seems to be some slight modification needed for fitment
Wagner is the same as the others. Mishimoto bro, no need to overcomplicate.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 04:54 AM   #652
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

If I had disposable income I would get the PWR/C&R however since I drive a BMW and not a Porsche will be getting the Mishimoto when the need arises.
      08-08-2022, 06:59 AM   #653
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have the Wagner. It fits, just barely, on an engine without PI. Maybe a fuzz tape is needed. PI or a manifold pushes up another half inch and makes it harder. I made it work without cutting.

Take the Mishi.
      08-15-2022, 11:17 PM   #654
NJtoGU
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 bmw m2 comp

Hey guys. Guess I'm having the same issue. Live on a tropical island where it's 90 degrees everyday all year. My intercooler reservoir is filled but the other one is dry af. The aluminum intercooler piece(don't know technical name) was very warm to the touch after normal driving. Next steps? -edit: 2019 m2c
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 11:28 PM   #655
KevM2
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtoGU View Post
Hey guys. Guess I'm having the same issue. Live on a tropical island where it's 90 degrees everyday all year. My intercooler reservoir is filled but the other one is dry af. The aluminum intercooler piece(don't know technical name) was very warm to the touch after normal driving. Next steps? -edit: 2019 m2c
By "the other one" you mean the radiator reservoir?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 11:29 PM   #656
NJtoGU
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 bmw m2 comp

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 12:04 AM   #657
papasmurf_m3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
I have the Wagner. It fits, just barely, on an engine without PI. Maybe a fuzz tape is needed. PI or a manifold pushes up another half inch and makes it harder. I made it work without cutting.

Take the Mishi.
Hey Jimmy!! I know the wagner wont work if you have a CS hood and port injection. Im not going to change my CS hood. So, other than a stock do you know if the garret or mishi fit?

ecutek - bend calibration pro tune - flex fuel - mpe - stock turbos - oem+
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 12:14 PM   #658
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by papasmurf_m3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post

Take the Mishi.
Hey Jimmy!! I know the wagner wont work if you have a CS hood and port injection. Im not going to change my CS hood. So, other than a stock do you know if the garret or mishi fit?
I've asked my buddy. Will report back.
      08-16-2022, 12:18 PM   #659
Rokoz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 f80 M3

I agree with many here.... Mishimoto top mount or bust
      08-17-2022, 11:26 PM   #660
KevM2
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah
That's very strange. I can't imagine a situation where the reservoir for the engine coolant would be empty and the one for the intercooler at normal levels specially given that the intercooler one sits somewhat higher than the other one… unless maybe you have a leak somewhere closer to the radiator and the coolant in the intercooler tank hasn't been affected yet…. Maybe someone with more technical knowledge in the M2 cooling system can shine some light on how this can happen. I'd say top it off and keep a close eye on it and check for any obvious leaks… even better take it to the dealer let them do a pressure leak test… keep us updated

Also, when you said that the intercooler was warm to the touch after driving it, did you check it right away after you stopped driving? I ask because soon after the car is turned off, the charge cooler warms up very rapidly.. and if you got normal levels of fluid in the intercooler, it should always feel somewhat cool to the touch after driving
Appreciate 0