Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

08-11-2022, 02:13 PM   #67
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7700 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WordOnRoad View Post
That's huge!

I'm going to flash to zero and see if my buddy at the BMW dealer can confirm the IDs match.
Yes. Please keep us updated once you find out. If this is confirmed, I can make the switch to MHD. It sucks running the stock flash. Anxiously waiting....
In theory it will not work if you are already tuned with BM3. You would have to get returned by bmw or someone with an actual oem tune to be able to generate the appropriate hash that the RMV will try to compare.

BM3 does not make a full copy of your DME on the first tune to keep for Stg0, and MHD does. This is the reason the first MHD flash takes so long compared to BM3.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2022, 02:19 PM   #68
WordOnRoad
Captain
Rep
Drives: E70/F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
In theory it will not work if you are already tuned with BM3. You would have to get returned by bmw or someone with an actual oem tune to be able to generate the appropriate hash that the RMV will try to compare.

BM3 does not make a full copy of your DME on the first tune to keep for Stg0, and MHD does. This is the reason the first MHD flash takes so long compared to BM3.
I've flashed MHD on 3 of my personal cars but have no experience with BM3.

I also didn't ask the dealer about CVN(s) while both of my cars were being programmed back to "OEM" spec to pass inspection, but they were both back to the stock map via MHD.

Is there any way for users to see the CVN, or is it only in systems like ISTA/E-Sys etc. ?

Also, where does firmware version play into all of this, if at all?
IG: 475_f80
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 02:28 PM   #69
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordOnRoad View Post
Quote:

I've flashed MHD on 3 of my personal cars but have no experience with BM3.

I also didn't ask the dealer about CVN(s) while both of my cars were being programmed back to "OEM" spec to pass inspection, but they were both back to the stock map via MHD.

Is there any way for users to see the CVN, or is it only in systems like ISTA/E-Sys etc. ?

Also, where does firmware version play into all of this, if at all?
Likely only in the bmw specific tools. We don't k ow exactly what they are using to generate those hashes. The firmware version value could very likely be one of the inputs for the hash. It's just pretty evident that what BM3 is doing on that first flash is not enough to get to the same hash values that the RMV is expecting or has been told are valid From BMW.

"When in doubt a deep copy wins the bout." - some engineer somewhere, 2022
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2022, 02:34 PM   #70
Nick7700
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 F83 Atlantis Metallic

Quote:

I did have kubax86 flash the DME for me and got the inspection to pass. I had posted this in post#28. Now I'm still on the factory flash. So, I'm anxiously waiting for confirmation on this before I make the switch to MHD.
2024 BMW X6 M60i Isle of Man Green / Ivory White
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2022, 02:35 PM   #71
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7700 View Post
Quote:

I did have kubax86 flash the DME for me and got the inspection to pass. I had posted this in post#28. Now I'm still on the factory flash. So, I'm anxiously waiting for confirmation on this before I make the switch to MHD.
Well then you are good to go get MHD. I passed last month on Stg0 and a Fabspeed catted downpipe. If the tune requires "aftermarket dp" because the cat isn't CEL free MHD marks the cat monitor as UNAVAILABLE/UNSUPPORTED which is an auto MAC referral now. I believe there are 1-2 other monitors that autofail for the same value (DME tunes just turn off the monitor since changing the result of the test is the illegal part). They HAVE to be in Ready, or NOT READY and you have no more than 1(or 2 depending on state) NOT ready of the monitors checked
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2022, 07:04 PM   #72
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C Hockenheim 6sp

Garage List
Got a swift response from MHD - further validation

[COLOR="Blue"]MHD checks what software version was installed in the DME and when flashing back, it flashes to that software version[/COLOR]
      08-12-2022, 08:03 AM   #73
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C Hockenheim 6sp

Garage List
Another piece of info, worth repeating, which I think is key if one is looking to have a tune and pass state inspections.

You have to start with a stock DME version prior to installing MHD flash. You will be able to install MHD over any other previous flash tune (BM3, Carbahn what have you), so when it's time to go back to stock, MHD will place back whatever DME version(flash) you had prior (not the OEM one).

Bottom line: if you're previously tuned w/ some other tuner, have the dealer or Kubax flash your stock DME, then install MHD. I have it in writing from them that, it will retain your CalID and CVN parameters, so state inspections shouldn't be a problem.

Hope this clears it up.
      08-12-2022, 06:50 PM   #74
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

Let's go BM3, get this CVN thingy sorted out..
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 04:26 PM   #75
chewbakam4
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

BM3 flash to stock and relock flashes your car to actual stock tune. It also relocks and its 100% stock, CVN/CALID matches, done this and verified many times. As said in another thread, BM3 you can’t even activate without a stock file match, not so with others.
Appreciate 1
TopJimmy5455.50
      08-27-2022, 02:07 PM   #76
2sporty
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbakam4 View Post
BM3 flash to stock and relock flashes your car to actual stock tune. It also relocks and its 100% stock, CVN/CALID matches, done this and verified many times. As said in another thread, BM3 you can’t even activate without a stock file match, not so with others.
Isn't this conflicting information with what is mentioned on the first page of this thread? The whole thread is about how OP had BM3, re-flashed to stock, and failed smog because the CVN/CALID did not match.
Appreciate 3
Wanted_M759.00
AlterZgo1537.50
      09-08-2022, 01:16 PM   #77
smokeywokey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbakam4 View Post
what if i bought the car with bm3 stage 2 installed already? the guy said the shop did the tune and basically i have no way to access the account to flash back to stock for smog, at this point and i go MHD and flash stage 0? or do i need to go to the dealer and get a stock flash, thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2022, 10:45 AM   #78
MSH
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2000 M Coupe (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanted_M View Post
Let's go BM3, get this CVN thingy sorted out..
Anyone heard if BM3 is planning to change the way they handle the stock tune to mirror what MHD is doing and make a full copy of stock DME? I'm in Colorado and looking to move to a M2C from my Golf R.
Lots of Audi & VW owners with tunes have been popped here even running simple stage 1 tunes that are even CARB legal with valid EO#'s.
I verified with a tech at the State Referee station even if you have a CARB legal tune you will fail automatically at the AirCare Colorado testing centers and you then have to make an appt to go to the State Referee/Technical centers to get the full visual check and then you will pass if you can provide the CARB EO# for the tune etc. They are making this a real hassle even if you are running CARB legal tunes.

More and more states are going to start adopting these standards that those of us in CO, MA, and CA have to go through so I would think it's in BM3s best interest to make the change. As it stands now there is no doubt I will go with MHD at this point on my M2C.
Appreciate 1
2sporty243.50
      09-16-2022, 04:45 PM   #79
2sporty
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSH View Post
Anyone heard if BM3 is planning to change the way they handle the stock tune to mirror what MHD is doing and make a full copy of stock DME? I'm in Colorado and looking to move to a M2C from my Golf R.
Lots of Audi & VW owners with tunes have been popped here even running simple stage 1 tunes that are even CARB legal with valid EO#'s.
I verified with a tech at the State Referee station even if you have a CARB legal tune you will fail automatically at the AirCare Colorado testing centers and you then have to make an appt to go to the State Referee/Technical centers to get the full visual check and then you will pass if you can provide the CARB EO# for the tune etc. They are making this a real hassle even if you are running CARB legal tunes.

More and more states are going to start adopting these standards that those of us in CO, MA, and CA have to go through so I would think it's in BM3s best interest to make the change. As it stands now there is no doubt I will go with MHD at this point on my M2C.
Agreed. If bootmod does not do this, I am selling my bootmod license and switching to MHD. This is a relatively easy quality of life update for a large portion of their users.
Appreciate 1
rborane241.00
      09-26-2022, 01:43 AM   #80
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

I have a stock M2c with the ability to flash via OBD. (Never did any dealer updates that locks the DME).

After reading when flashing back to stock using BM3 and not passing state inspection I’m hesitant flashing now, but the stock tune sucks!

Not sure if chewbakam4 is accurate as many on here couldn’t pass state inspection when flashing back to stock.

Anyone here pass California inspection after flashing back to Stock?

Last edited by chmura; 09-26-2022 at 01:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 11:35 AM   #81
AlmondJayRoM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Just as I posted in another thread in this forum, I can confirm that flashing to stock and locking the DME with bootmod3 results in a CALID/CVN that matches what I had prior to the tune. You have to lock the DME as just flashing to stock does not remove the base BM3 software from the DME which would result in the CALID/CVN mismatch. One thing to keep in mind is if you needed a bench unlock to install the tune you will need to bench unlock again to reinstall the tune.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 01:17 PM   #82
theweebabySeamus
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmondJayRoM3 View Post
Just as I posted in another thread in this forum, I can confirm that flashing to stock and locking the DME with bootmod3 results in a CALID/CVN that matches what I had prior to the tune. You have to lock the DME as just flashing to stock does not remove the base BM3 software from the DME which would result in the CALID/CVN mismatch. One thing to keep in mind is if you needed a bench unlock to install the tune you will need to bench unlock again to reinstall the tune.
How do you 'relock' the DME?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 03:19 PM   #83
AlmondJayRoM3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theweebabySeamus View Post
How do you 'relock' the DME?
With bootmod3, when you view your stock map it should have two buttons. One that says "flash" and the other that says "re-lock DME."
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 06:52 PM   #84
2sporty
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Angry

Quote:
For god's sakes, AGAIN, we are posting conflicting information that is likely WRONG. Confirmed by people who actually live in California and have tried it. Read the following:

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1&postcount=21
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 07:44 PM   #85
AlmondJayRoM3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sporty View Post
For god's sakes, AGAIN, we are posting conflicting information that is likely WRONG. Confirmed by people who actually live in California and have tried it. Read the following:

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1&postcount=21
Just saying that I have confirmed that my CALID/CVN after stock and relock match what I had prior to installing the tune. Which is why I went through the trouble of contacting BM3 support after updating my DME with BMW so that it would save the new tune. Did this knowing I will be moving back to California. Unless you know something I don’t know about how the smog check can see I was previously tuned I highly doubt they can see that I have something other than stock.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 03:23 PM   #86
theweebabySeamus
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Haven't decided on tuning yet, but I'm almost tempted to do BM3 just to smog and end the speculation.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 04:28 PM   #87
AlmondJayRoM3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Haven't decided on tuning yet, but I'm almost tempted to do BM3 just to smog and end the speculation.
A quick search shows a few people who have passed that were tuned. Found some that have failed due to not locking. Found one that says it didn’t pass after locking.

The official verbiage from the instruction is not only do you need a matching cvn and calid, they also have to be registered with CARB by the automotive companies, which means only stock DME software. For whatever reason people were flagging. If one were to have a stock tune but for whatever reason wasn’t registered with CARB, there are provisions to fix this but usually involve going to a referee to get clarification and verification that it is a stock tune or a modified one that is carb approved (ie some Dinan tunes).
Appreciate 1
2sporty243.50
      10-03-2022, 04:31 PM   #88
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Quote:
A quick search shows a few people who have passed that were tuned. Found some that have failed due to not locking. Found one that says it didn’t pass after locking.

The official verbiage from the instruction is not only do you need a matching cvn and calid, they also have to be registered with CARB by the automotive companies, which means only stock DME software. For whatever reason people were flagging. If one were to have a stock tune but for whatever reason wasn’t registered with CARB, there are provisions to fix this but usually involve going to a referee to get clarification and verification that it is a stock tune or a modified one that is carb approved (ie some Dinan tunes).
Correct.

This really isn't a gamble to take since if you fail, you are sent to the state referee who will do a full visual inspection and OBD2 checksum inspection.

As a result, you will need to go fully back to stock before the visit.

I've been through this… it SUCKED
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 2
2sporty243.50