Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - New England

06-15-2022, 10:27 AM   #1
Fantastipotamus
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Vert DCT

Who has the worst secondary roads in New England?

I took a couple hour drive up into the white mountains yesterday, hitting a few roads from newenglandriders.org BONE listing (thanks to whomever posted that, btw) and generally had a great time on the following route:

1) West Shore Rd north (Newfound Lake, Bristol/Alexandria NH)
2) Rt 118 through Wentworth & Warren
3) the Kanc (low expectations due to it being Laconia Bike Week, but barring a solitary F250 out for a cruise (?? hey sure why not) blocking the way for a few minutes, it was rather empty heading East
4) Bear Notch Rd north to Bartlett - man, one of the best roads in NH? Closed in winters, so the pavement is in great shape. 5 stars, would enjoy again.
5) West on 302 back to 93S, and then home.

But as I was driving, one thought kept crossing my mind as I winced over pothole after pothole, terrible drainage crosscuts, endless flaking skimcoats done 8 years ago.. NH, my home state where I’ve lived my whole life, has some f**cking TERRIBLE roads. 100% they are accentuated by 19” wheels, but still.

Okay - and silver lining chat real quick.. the roads being so terrible definitely help me keep my speed in check, especially West Shore and Rt 118. So.. if that’s the goal, well played!

I will also acknowledge that Mass, your occasional 3” deep pothole on 93S/495 is incredibly scary, but overall, it feels like NH secondary roads are so, so bad. Just shameful.

Sound off if you think your state is worse.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 10:46 AM   #2
TTM0TION
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Grigio Telesto ZCP

NY is pretty dogshit I have to say.
      06-16-2022, 10:04 AM   #3
tkokay
Rep
Drives: Hilux Surf

As someone who has to ride through the two hell spots on Rt146 near the MA/RI border most days. Why excuse the main roads as well.
Just got back from KY/TN. All of our roads are shit even the good ones.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 07:55 AM   #4
Fantastipotamus
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Vert DCT

I think as interstates go, MA runs away with it, in my opinion. Its amazing to me that a) both 93 and 495 are constantly undergoing lane-closing construction, and yet b) they never actually improve.

Frankly, the combination of travel speed, close follow distance, and sudden, blind, deep af potholes is unparalleled. Tip of the hat to you, MA DOT.

Meanwhile in NH, all our highways are generally in great shape and often are being paved again unnecessarily, while our secondary roads are neglected.

Ultimately, my question is probably answered with the classic “wherever you live, thats where roads are the worst” just due to familiarity. In the meantime, I guess it’ll keep my speed down.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 08:27 AM   #5
tkokay
Rep
Drives: Hilux Surf

MA got fucked by the bridge/overpass fixing that they have had to do over the past 6 or so years since they found all of them were failing.
Appreciate 0