ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

08-09-2021, 08:05 PM   #1
Shikari
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw m4

Anyone race a g8x yet?

So i raced a g80 comp today and was kind of surprised by the results
My car (18 F82) is stage 1 tune with a midpipe and intakes
We did 40 rolls and g80 didnt really get pulled on up until like 100
At the same time i can sometimes go almost neck to neck with some stock hellcats
Got me wondering how fast the G8X platform will be
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 08:12 PM   #2
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Having owned a G82 for awhile, I can tell you they are fast. It doesn't surprise me in the least there wasn't much between your stage 1 tuned car and a stock G80. Going from my 18 Comp M4, there was a "whoo ahh" moment the first time I mashed the gas on an onramp in my G82 Comp. It was a very noticeable difference with the G82 obviously being faster.

Now that I'm back in an F80 non-Comp, the lack of thrust is definitely noticeable. It's not a big deal though, who really cares. I enjoy driving around the F80 a lot more than the G82, it's putting more smiles per mile on my face than weeks of driving the G82 did. The F80 also feels like it's half the size of the G82, it's like I'm in a go-kart again. The G8x does a great job of masking it's weight, but it still feels like a big car.

G8x is fast, there's no doubt about it. But to me, that was all it had going for it.
Appreciate 5
clutchdj1878.50
Kilabyte3948.00
ck_M363.00
      08-09-2021, 08:50 PM   #3
Shikari
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Having owned a G82 for awhile, I can tell you they are fast. It doesn't surprise me in the least there wasn't much between your stage 1 tuned car and a stock G80. Going from my 18 Comp M4, there was a "whoo ahh" moment the first time I mashed the gas on an onramp in my G82 Comp. It was a very noticeable difference with the G82 obviously being faster.

Now that I'm back in an F80 non-Comp, the lack of thrust is definitely noticeable. It's not a big deal though, who really cares. I enjoy driving around the F80 a lot more than the G82, it's putting more smiles per mile on my face than weeks of driving the G82 did. The F80 also feels like it's half the size of the G82, it's like I'm in a go-kart again. The G8x does a great job of masking it's weight, but it still feels like a big car.

G8x is fast, there's no doubt about it. But to me, that was all it had going for it.
I totally feel ya about the G8X feeling bigger
One of the reason i dont wanna let go of my f82 love ripping through the canyons with this
Appreciate 1
NickyC17484.50
      08-09-2021, 09:43 PM   #4
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikari View Post
I totally feel ya about the G8X feeling bigger
One of the reason i dont wanna let go of my f82 love ripping through the canyons with this
Keep it. Don't be me and make a big mistake, keep the F82 and enjoy it.
Appreciate 2
      08-09-2021, 10:27 PM   #5
wasya152
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3CS

Quote:

This makes me double think switching my CS to g80 in a few months. I love driving the car. And I mean actually driving it, shifting gears, taking turns, etc. Was worried that I would not like the g80, since I've driven my cousins x3m and friends m5c, and hated the tranny on them. They were fast alright, the x3m is pretty much dead even in acceleration, but I did not find myself missing exits and driving them 3 hours straight and still not getting enough. It's like those cars don't have a soul anymore
Appreciate 3
NickyC17484.50
Kilabyte3948.00
      08-09-2021, 11:25 PM   #6
Shikari
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Definitely not going anywhere unless i find viper acr for a good price🤣🤣
Appreciate 2
NickyC17484.50
      08-09-2021, 11:40 PM   #7
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasya152 View Post
This makes me double think switching my CS to g80 in a few months. I love driving the car. And I mean actually driving it, shifting gears, taking turns, etc. Was worried that I would not like the g80, since I've driven my cousins x3m and friends m5c, and hated the tranny on them. They were fast alright, the x3m is pretty much dead even in acceleration, but I did not find myself missing exits and driving them 3 hours straight and still not getting enough. It's like those cars don't have a soul anymore
The only thing the G80 has over the M3cs is the manual gearbox option.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 07:32 AM   #8
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:

Do you have an in depth comparison posted anywhere? If not, would really be interested if you had the time to write one up. I don't know why but my mind is still kind of blown you went back to an F generation car so quickly. The new car isn't cheap by any means.
      08-10-2021, 08:49 AM   #9
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
Do you have an in depth comparison posted anywhere? If not, would really be interested if you had the time to write one up. I don't know why but my mind is still kind of blown you went back to an F generation car so quickly. The new car isn't cheap by any means.
Hi! Well nearly all of it is in this mega thread: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1761187
You'll need to search for my name to find the posts. All posts about ownership are on/after 6/26/21.

Here was my first post on it:
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....#post27742640

You can search the thread for my name and see the posts, they're scattered throughout as it's a very long thread. Thanks.

TL-DR notes: Car is very, very fast. It hides the weight very well, and the carbon bucket seats are the nicest seats I've ever sat in. The interior is an upgrade, but I wound up absolutely despising the digital dash as it was difficult for me to know what rpms I was at (unlike the dial guages in F8x). However, the car cannot outrun the ugly and I was simply never able to like a single angle of the car. It also feels big, and being in an F80 now the car feels like a go-kart in comparison. The DCT is also far better than the ZF8. I never should have made the switch, but it's ok because now I know and no longer have to wonder what if.

Also, the G82 received almost NO attention from people. Very few looks, comments, etc. Young people knew what the car was much more than middle aged/older, honestly I felt invisible in the car as compared to my prior F82s (that car was a rolling rock star). My experience with the G82 is that it failed in BMWs attempt to be bold and distinct. People just didn't care about the car at all.

Last edited by NickyC; 08-10-2021 at 08:57 AM..
Appreciate 9
agentrnge382.00
ntg442888.50
TideMD291.50
swagon13524.00
bm4w145.50
Kilabyte3948.00
      08-18-2021, 12:27 AM   #10
Hoppyumr
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikari View Post
Quote:
Definitely not going anywhere unless i find viper acr for a good price🤣🤣
Find two ACRs and I'm with yah, though the nice thing about these is they fit my whole family. Not too many cars can say that, and in my case be able to do the top too. I know there are a lot of love for the verts, but I love it. Still love vipers though, especially the new ones - that candy apple red metallic or whatever they call it is hot.

Edit - I realized I was actually talking about the Stryker Red, not Candy Apple and said the wrong color.
Appreciate 0