Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

04-06-2020, 09:41 PM   #1
JohnEastvold
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Another Meth tread

Just got my car finished up tuning with F80Paul on E85. Love the set up! Pulls hard peaking 27psi down to 22.5 at 6500. All going well except its about to get super hot and humid here in Nashville. IAT's are already raising and i am going to try an combat it with Meth. Paul refereed me to use the snow stage 2.5 kit with stainless lines etc, my question is will it help me keep iats down significantly? Im mainly want to use it to combat heat soak. I know some use it to raise boost and timing to make more power but i just want to run it off the charge pipes or j pipe (whichever is more effective) and cool the air. I will also ask Paul to make me a separate e85+meth tune. At night its about 65/70 recently and when i get on it i notice my iats at 95-115+ range during a 3-5 gear pull. My DA level is anywhere from 800-2500 during the day.

Any input would be appreciated!
(Sold) 2008 BMW M3 Coupe 6mt - VF-Engineering with Advanced fuel dynamics PROFLEX COMMANDER at 10psi 620/435@7800rm
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 09:01 AM   #2
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

This might sound funny, but have you tried taking off both engine covers? (Seriously). The cover above the charge pipes as well as beneath them. It's been proven to work. Not sure how bad it is, but you may not even need meth, and can just slap the top cover on when you're showing the engine bay, when the car isn't running anyways.

I know it doesn't answer your question, but it might solve your underlying problem Good luck.
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2020, 09:18 AM   #3
BlownOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 m4 comp

I’m running pure stage 2 on e85/meth with boost peaking at 30-31 psi up top and my iats start at 85ish cruising and end up in the 64-66* range after a 3rd and 4th gear pull running 60-130 draggy. 100% stock cooling system. Meth cools iats better than the best intercooler ever could. J-pipe injection btw
      04-07-2020, 10:10 AM   #4
JohnEastvold
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownOne View Post
I'm running pure stage 2 on e85/meth with boost peaking at 30-31 psi up top and my iats start at 85ish cruising and end up in the 64-66* range after a 3rd and 4th gear pull running 60-130 draggy. 100% stock cooling system. Meth cools iats better than the best intercooler ever could. J-pipe injection btw
Thats what i was looking for. Why you pick j pipe over charge pipes? Are you running jb4 or a custom flash tune?
(Sold) 2008 BMW M3 Coupe 6mt - VF-Engineering with Advanced fuel dynamics PROFLEX COMMANDER at 10psi 620/435@7800rm
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 10:37 AM   #5
KakashiSenpai
Troll
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Comp

I've used Paul for 3 custom maps. Two for Ps2+ (91 + meth & e54 + meth) & one for FBO stock turbo e54 + meth.

Paul for sure knows what he's doing when it comes to dialing in the car with meth. I used the same set up he is recommending.

Data-logging last summer in AZ (110 - 115 degrees outside) my IAT's would drop to 73-74 during the first and second pull. Stock top mount and upgraded heat exchanger.

Car always felt consistent and pulled very hard. Paul worked out any issues/request I've had every revision and his response time is very prompt.

I highly recommended for anyone on the fence about meth to do this. You won't regret it! Just make sure you take it to a reputable shop for install.
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2020, 11:12 AM   #6
JohnEastvold
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KakashiSenpai View Post
I've used Paul for 3 custom maps. Two for Ps2+ (91 + meth & e54 + meth) & one for FBO stock turbo e54 + meth.

Paul for sure knows what he's doing when it comes to dialing in the car with meth. I used the same set up he is recommending.

Data-logging last summer in AZ (110 - 115 degrees outside) my IAT's would drop to 73-74 during the first and second pull. Stock top mount and upgraded heat exchanger.

Car always felt consistent and pulled very hard. Paul worked out any issues/request I've had every revision and his response time is very prompt.

I highly recommended for anyone on the fence about meth to do this. You won't regret it! Just make sure you take it to a reputable shop for install.
Awesome. Would u use boost juice or m1?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 11:35 AM   #7
KakashiSenpai
Troll
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEastvold View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KakashiSenpai View Post

Awesome. Would u use boost juice or m1?
Funny that you ask. I've actually tried both, I use to be super nervous about my old meth set up with all the horror stories I've read about leaks.

After Paul got my boost juice (50/50 "water-meth") dialed in, he mentioned there was still a lot left on the table if I wanted to cool down my IAT's and potentially more power.

He then recommended for my peace of mind to upgrade my system to the one he is recommending to you (braided lines,bigger nozzles, etc) and have it installed at a reputable shop.

I ran 100% meth for 40-50k miles with no issues using what he recommended. IMO the switch from 50/50 to 100% meth was amazing and well worth the upgrade/switch!

As mentioned by another member, I think this is the best cooling mod you can do for our platform.
Appreciate 2
      04-07-2020, 12:29 PM   #8
AlejoEvo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

Quote:
Just got my car finished up tuning with F80Paul on E85. Love the set up! Pulls hard peaking 27psi down to 22.5 at 6500. All going well except its about to get super hot and humid here in Nashville. IAT's are already raising and i am going to try an combat it with Meth. Paul refereed me to use the snow stage 2.5 kit with stainless lines etc, my question is will it help me keep iats down significantly? Im mainly want to use it to combat heat soak. I know some use it to raise boost and timing to make more power but i just want to run it off the charge pipes or j pipe (whichever is more effective) and cool the air. I will also ask Paul to make me a separate e85+meth tune. At night its about 65/70 recently and when i get on it i notice my iats at 95-115+ range during a 3-5 gear pull. My DA level is anywhere from 800-2500 during the day.

What intake you have on your car?

Seems too high to go from 70 to 115 degrees.

Meth is commonly used to cool IAT. The position depends on the point of view, if you want the boos the IC spray it on the charge pipes, if you want a more stable mixture spray it on the J pipe. Each have its advantages.
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2020, 12:31 PM   #9
JohnEastvold
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlejoEvo View Post
Quote:

Stock. But it was sitting for about 20 min after having ran hard for 2 or 3 runs. I didn't have time to cool down the car enough basically.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 12:33 PM   #10
AlejoEvo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Stock. But it was sitting for about 20 min after having ran hard for 2 or 3 runs. I didn't have time to cool down the car enough basically.
Stock filters too?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 12:34 PM   #11
AlejoEvo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

BTW, I edited my previous post.
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2020, 12:34 PM   #12
JohnEastvold
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Stock filters too?
Drop in bms filters
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 01:05 PM   #13
AlejoEvo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Stock filters too?
Drop in bms filters
You must look for an intake that can give you as much cool air as possible and heard that stock intake with BMS works well, so maybe there's no reason to change it.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 04:53 PM   #14
BlownOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 m4 comp

Quote:
Thats what i was looking for. Why you pick j pipe over charge pipes? Are you running jb4 or a custom flash tune?
J-pipe is post intercooler so it still allows your ic to do it’s job and cool the compressed air as much as it normally would,then the meth “super cools” that air and you get all of the meth right into the motor so octane bump as well. 100% m1 is what I’m using and running Cary’s custom e85/meth dyno tune which has been flawless for 10kish miles.