R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

11-07-2022, 05:03 PM   #1
E30Fever
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i, 2015 F80

Question about F8X Base Model

I’m in the market for a base model M4. I don’t have any plans to tune it or anything like that. I’m coming from NA cars where even a fully built car is lucky to get a 20hp bump in power. So the power/torque of the base model M4 is already going to be quite a big jump up for me.

With that said, is there any real noticeable difference in the slightly more powerful competition package? I’ve tried using the search button for the answer but it honestly seems like most of the people on here are tuned to some extent so its hard to discern if there is a difference worth paying for.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 06:05 PM   #2
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E30Fever View Post
I’m in the market for a base model M4. I don’t have any plans to tune it or anything like that. I’m coming from NA cars where even a fully built car is lucky to get a 20hp bump in power. So the power/torque of the base model M4 is already going to be quite a big jump up for me.

With that said, is there any real noticeable difference in the slightly more powerful competition package? I’ve tried using the search button for the answer but it honestly seems like most of the people on here are tuned to some extent so its hard to discern if there is a difference worth paying for.
After driving both before buying my F82 without comp package, I would say no. There is a different in sound if you like burbles with the pops and bangs. It was like $5500 for 20" wheels, seats withOUT adjustable lumbar support, a factory chrome delete, slightly different suspension, and 19 extra HP.

I suggest the exec package as that includes a lot more luxury features like HUD, 360 Camera, Parking Assist, Side Cameras, heated steering wheel, speedometer reader, and comfort access. Essentially things that make your BMW a luxury car lol.

Depending on the year of the M4 and if you want a back up camera, it would either be apart of the exec package or driver assistance. In 2019 the driver assistance package and backup camera became standard options.

I forgot which year had standard adaptive suspension, I want to say 2017 or 2018.

Each year is slightly different in terms of what packages are available and what they include. 2019 is also when car play is standard and no longer an option.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 3
      11-07-2022, 06:15 PM   #3
bvrider1
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 m3 + f80 zcp

The only thing that the Comp package is better resale down the road. I learned from my e9x M3 experience. This time around I got the ZCP just in case I wanted to sell down the road.
Appreciate 2
cotmfk2042.00
      11-07-2022, 09:41 PM   #4
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lots of BMWs

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2006 Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
2021 X7 40i MSport  [0.00]
Wasn't adaptive standard at first, then option, then back to standard?

Backup camera became required in 2018? Interesting that some manufacturers & cars with mandated cameras charge you extra for PDC.

Aside from criteria (budget, colors & tranny), exec & comp are a must and early on I think nav was an option? When I was shopping for my first one, 6MT, its amazing how many poorly optioned ones there was 2015-16. After the original F8X early order bank was satisfied many dealers stocked the floor with configs most of us wouldn't want. My second was a little easier being DCT, but still I see comps with no exec (WTF). My third 2019 6MT comp or CS will prolly be another PITA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
I forgot which year had standard adaptive suspension, I want to say 2017 or 2018.
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2022, 10:15 PM   #5
E30Fever
Private
Rep

That’s all very helpful. Whenever I buy a car I usually keep it for such a long time that it’s completely depreciated before I can sell it. I had my first BMW for 12 years. And the one a drive now for almost 11 years, so it’ll probably be a decade or more before I sell the M4. The only real option that would be important to me is the backup camera so thank you all for the explanation of how to get one as it depends on year/package. Truthfully, I’d hate to pay a premium for the adaptive suspension because my primary mods have always been suspension related. I spend nothing on power but break the bank on kinematics.

In your experiences, have stripper cars been more expensive for the F8X platform? (Or is it more inline with the general market where more options = more money)
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2022, 10:33 PM   #6
TractionControlDelete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82-E92 M3-E46 M3-E30-S1K-330i

Garage List
2004 X5  [9.00]
2006 325i  [10.00]
2021 S1000RR  [9.50]
2006 330i  [7.75]
1986 325e  [10.00]
2005 M3  [7.40]
2009 M3  [8.63]
2018 M4  [10.00]
From what I've seen, there hasn't been a premium for lighter-weight/lightly optioned cars. Maybe there will be a change in the F80 consumer's taste as the platform ages more but that's not where it's at right now. The icon lights and executive package are really popular. There are a lot of F8X owners who have never even seen the base cloth seats with the silver seat badges (those badges sucked btw).

It kind of sounds like you either go to the track or autocross or at least frequent the canyons so perhaps you'll switch out the seats anyway. But either way, I think you'll find less options will equate with a lower purchase prices. I just can't see anyone, even a track rat, paying more for a F82 with 513M wheels without a backup camera than for a ZCP.

***I'm fully aware that folks definitely do pay more for E9X strippers so I totally understand why you'd ask the question.

https://youtube.com/@tractioncontroldelete
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2022, 11:08 PM   #7
E30Fever
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TractionControlDelete View Post
From what I've seen, there hasn't been a premium for lighter-weight/lightly optioned cars. Maybe there will be a change in the F80 consumer's taste as the platform ages more but that's not where it's at right now. The icon lights and executive package are really popular. There are a lot of F8X owners who have never even seen the base cloth seats with the silver seat badges (those badges sucked btw).

It kind of sounds like you either go to the track or autocross or at least frequent the canyons so perhaps you'll switch out the seats anyway. But either way, I think you'll find less options will equate with a lower purchase prices. I just can't see anyone, even a track rat, paying more for a F82 with 513M wheels without a backup camera than for a ZCP.

***I'm fully aware that folks definitely do pay more for E9X strippers so I totally understand why you'd ask the question.
Re: E9X stripper cars >> Exactly! Lol

Also, thanks for the link showing how check if a F80 has a crankhub!! I can definitely pull that off when I start seeing them in person
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2022, 11:58 PM   #8
IVM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Comp package was a must for me. Imo it looks and performs better and is well worth the premium. Exec package was also a requirement as I wanted blind spot monitoring and the reverse camera. The comfort access and HUD with speedometer reader are quite useful as well. I'd highly recommend comp and exec packages, even if you will mod the suspension.
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2022, 12:02 AM   #9
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TractionControlDelete View Post

Agreed.

It's very much market specific, as some EU F8x M3/M4 didn't come with Navigation (still had iDrive but no nav), memory seats or even Shadowline but, honestly, it makes no sense not to have sat nav and Harman Kardon when you've got the screen and other shit in there anyway.

And iDrive definitely denotes whether an E9x M3 is a stripper or not.

So I still have what we call a stripper F80 M3 round these parts of the forum and it's still as well-equipped as a loaded E9x M3. US-spec cars even more so
      11-08-2022, 10:52 AM   #10
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagekko View Post
Wasn't adaptive standard at first, then option, then back to standard?

Backup camera became required in 2018? Interesting that some manufacturers & cars with mandated cameras charge you extra for PDC.

Aside from criteria (budget, colors & tranny), exec & comp are a must and early on I think nav was an option? When I was shopping for my first one, 6MT, its amazing how many poorly optioned ones there was 2015-16. After the original F8X early order bank was satisfied many dealers stocked the floor with configs most of us wouldn't want. My second was a little easier being DCT, but still I see comps with no exec (WTF). My third 2019 6MT comp or CS will prolly be another PITA.
It's hard to keep track of what became standard and what was part of which package.

In 2017 the Back Up Camera was part of the exec package and there was a "Driver Assistance Plus" which has like the active blind spot, active driving assistant (auto braking), side and top down cameras, and speed limit info.

In 2018, the exec package included the side and top down cameras and speed limit info. Active driving was $500 stand alone and blind spot monitoring was another $500 stand alone. PDC was a $750 option. The "Driver Assistance Plus" package disappeared.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2022, 12:29 PM   #11
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

the competition name alone adds value down the road. even if there isn't much performance. majority of the changes on the car were coding related. the hardware change included seat cutouts and new dampers. in fact, the comp cars are heavier than base models in large part due to the heavy 20" wheels.

there was no change in physical engine hardware from the base model to the CS.

aside from the CS and GTS cars, the f80 comp is going to hold value best. the base f82 will be the worst. there only 33k F80s made, and likely 100k F82s.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 2
alex23642860.00
      11-08-2022, 12:36 PM   #12
E30Fever
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
the competition name alone adds value down the road. even if there isn't much performance. majority of the changes on the car were coding related. the hardware change included seat cutouts and new dampers. in fact, the comp cars are heavier than base models in large part due to the heavy 20" wheels.

there was no change in physical engine hardware from the base model to the CS.

aside from the CS and GTS cars, the f80 comp is going to hold value best. the base f82 will be the worst. there only 33k F80s made, and likely 100k F82s.
I can believe it! It seems like the 4-door F80 was more popular than the coupe for this generation of cars based on most of the threads I’ve been reading
Appreciate 1
DaiLyCS166.50
      11-08-2022, 01:32 PM   #13
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

everything can mostly be modded in. if you are going to be second hand owner we are talking peanuts on the third owner
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2022, 02:37 PM   #14
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
everything can mostly be modded in. if you are going to be second hand owner we are talking peanuts on the third owner
but can I mod in some peanuts into my engine for more power tho and will they prevent crank hub failure
      11-08-2022, 03:49 PM   #15
krudmunk
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Had both base model 2016 F80 M3 and comp package 2020 F82 M4.

I'd say if you're going to mod anyway, then go for the base model. If you're going to do minimal mods, like a mild drop and exhaust, then go for the comp package. I think you can always revert back and part out your mods regardless you have a base or comp. So I'd highly recommend to buy one that is the best deal.

Comp package offers "competition tune" (444 hp vs 420 hp) and cosmetic aesthetics.
Suspension wise, you can find base and comp to have adaptive suspension, but it's hard to find a comp with non adaptive suspension.
Exhaust wise, the muffler internal design is different between base and comp. The shape of the muffler is bit different too if you compare side by side and look closely. The sound difference seem to be minimal between the two, still raspy af. The sound difference comes from comp tune to have more burbles and pops.
Other cosmetic differences will be that the comp package comes with black emblems and black trim pieces around the vehicles like kidney grills and front fender side grill trim. You can swap your base chrome pieces out with the black pieces from BMW or reputable BMW distributors.
Also base models typically come with 437M (19 inches) or 513M (18 inches) wheels, and comp tend to come with 666M wheels (20 inches) but there are many cases where the option of 437M was selected at time of order.
The seats are different between the two. Comp will have cutout for ventilation and no lumbar, while base will have no cutout for ventilation and lumbar support. I barely use lumbar support so it didn't really affect my decision. But I think the comp seats side bolsters hug me better.

My 2016 F80 was the cheapest option at the time, black sapphire metallic with sakhir orange interior base model with nonadaptive suspension and xenon headlights and lci taillights.

My 2020 F82 had every option except for carbon ceramic brakes, optioned for comp package and executive package, adaptive suspension, lci2 headlights, and an individual color exterior color.

Suspension mods, I had KW V3 coilovers for both cars. The adaptive suspension required to purchase EDC delete kit or code out the EDC feature.

Last edited by krudmunk; 11-08-2022 at 04:03 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2022, 06:23 PM   #16
E30Fever
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
but can I mod in some peanuts into my engine for more power tho and will they prevent crank hub failure
Based on some stories on this forum, the very act of opening the bag of peanuts is enough to spin the hub
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2022, 06:35 PM   #17
E30Fever
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmunk View Post
Had both base model 2016 F80 M3 and comp package 2020 F82 M4.

I'd say if you're going to mod anyway, then go for the base model. If you're going to do minimal mods, like a mild drop and exhaust, then go for the comp package. I think you can always revert back and part out your mods regardless you have a base or comp. So I'd highly recommend to buy one that is the best deal.

Comp package offers "competition tune" (444 hp vs 420 hp) and cosmetic aesthetics.
Suspension wise, you can find base and comp to have adaptive suspension, but it's hard to find a comp with non adaptive suspension.
Exhaust wise, the muffler internal design is different between base and comp. The shape of the muffler is bit different too if you compare side by side and look closely. The sound difference seem to be minimal between the two, still raspy af. The sound difference comes from comp tune to have more burbles and pops.
Other cosmetic differences will be that the comp package comes with black emblems and black trim pieces around the vehicles like kidney grills and front fender side grill trim. You can swap your base chrome pieces out with the black pieces from BMW or reputable BMW distributors.
Also base models typically come with 437M (19 inches) or 513M (18 inches) wheels, and comp tend to come with 666M wheels (20 inches) but there are many cases where the option of 437M was selected at time of order.
The seats are different between the two. Comp will have cutout for ventilation and no lumbar, while base will have no cutout for ventilation and lumbar support. I barely use lumbar support so it didn't really affect my decision. But I think the comp seats side bolsters hug me better.

My 2016 F80 was the cheapest option at the time, black sapphire metallic with sakhir orange interior base model with nonadaptive suspension and xenon headlights and lci taillights.

My 2020 F82 had every option except for carbon ceramic brakes, optioned for comp package and executive package, adaptive suspension, lci2 headlights, and an individual color exterior color.

Suspension mods, I had KW V3 coilovers for both cars. The adaptive suspension required to purchase EDC delete kit or code out the EDC feature.
Really appreciate your feedback. Wondering though, you couldn’t really feel that 24hp bump though right? I’m guessing the 20 inch wheels would’ve negated any feeling of more horsepower
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2022, 09:26 AM   #18
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
bUt wIlL iT sAy CoMp PaCk on VINDECODER
Appreciate 1
swagon13518.00
      11-09-2022, 09:41 AM   #19
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 m4

Since you will be modding suspension Id avoid the comp. Its the biggest reason to get it. Getting one without edc will save you some hassle. Look for the executive pack though. Totally worth it imho.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2022, 10:10 AM   #20
EezyBeezy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW F[am]80 M3

Got a base model F80 for my wife and newly started family. We are perfectly happy with it. Big selling point for us was the carbon structure interior and 19's for everyday comfort. Not too crazy about it being fully loaded with options as I planned on doing most of the mods myself which is half the fun.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2022, 12:37 PM   #21
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EezyBeezy View Post
Got a base model F80 for my wife and newly started family. We are perfectly happy with it. Big selling point for us was the carbon structure interior and 19's for everyday comfort. Not too crazy about it being fully loaded with options as I planned on doing most of the mods myself which is half the fun.
I think when people say "fully loaded" it's mostly the exec package. Unless you plan to retro fit a HUD, 360 Cameras, Front Side Cameras, park assist.

As the F8X progressed, more things eventually became standard and even if you wanted it off, you can't. Adaptive suspension is one.

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2022, 01:06 PM   #22
krudmunk
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30Fever View Post
Really appreciate your feedback. Wondering though, you couldn’t really feel that 24hp bump though right? I’m guessing the 20 inch wheels would’ve negated any feeling of more horsepower
24hp is barely noticeable on the butt dyno. 20 inch is heavier than 19s and 18s. So you do save some weight if you go for 19 or 18 setup.

Both my F8x were stage 2 tuned BM3. You'll end up tuning after a year or two. This platform is really easy to gain more power. Catless downpipe and an off the shelf tune will get you in the 550 hp easily.
Appreciate 0