GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M4 GTS Discussions

06-18-2020, 10:44 AM   #1
greb
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3 Comp

M3 CS or M4 GTS?

Earlier I had already created a topic for the choice between a M2 CS or M3 CS. That has now changed into a choice for an M3 CS or M4 GTS. I drove both, and I have to say that the M4 GTS really gives you the feeling of driving a racing car. The M3 has that a bit less natural because of the two extra doors.

Now I am very doubtful about which choice to make. The M4 GTS is great, but it's a shame to do a lot of miles with it. Certainly when it comes to the residual value, there are even some for sale in Germany well above two hundred thousand euros. The M3 CS is a bit more daily, and I certainly make around 20,000 km every year. There is also a reasonable price difference between the two, the M3 CS is about twenty thousand euros cheaper. But I'm assuming that an M3 CS won't deliver money in the long run, while an M4 GTS can.

My emotion says the M4 GTS, but my mind says the M3 CS. Problems such as children or decent is not applicable. The only one who goes along is my girlfriend. This moment I have an F80 M3 with bootmod stage 1 and an IPE exhaust, drives super, but I'm a bit bored with my current M3, also because of the red interior. I would like something new...

M4 GTS:

M3 CS:
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 10:53 AM   #2
Lienrocs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, M4 GTS, HP4

GTS. All day every day. I daily drive mine and love every second of it. If you don't need back seats then the GTS is just as practical as any other M4.
Appreciate 5
      06-18-2020, 12:19 PM   #3
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Why not something in between like the M4cs which has a stiffer set-up than the M3cs and also the doorskins of the GTS, plus a back seat, and a sound system in between the M3cs HK and the GTS's reduced system?

In the long run, the GTS would likely be the one to retain its value. The CS is too new to have that discussion.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 12:35 PM   #4
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

I have a F80 CS and have driven 800km in a GTS on the road, plus I've tracked both of them.

The GTS is significantly more 'raw' and special vs the CS, although the CS is also very nice.

In the GTS will probably retain its value even if you drive it, but in any case I prefer to enjoy my cars vs keep them in museum condition for the next owner.

I expect both CS and GTS values to stay pretty flat in the future as both were produced in limited numbers, but the GTS is clearly the more special one.
Appreciate 2
      06-18-2020, 12:49 PM   #5
henrylee
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 6MT

GTS is more special, go with your heart!
      06-18-2020, 01:09 PM   #6
Gomeler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 M235iR, '16 M4 GTS

Both cars are going to depreciate with mileage, but the GTS might suffer less of a hit. Nobody knows how the GTS market will resolve in 3-5 years, I'm just hoping for only a -10% to -20% depreciation hit, anything better than that is a win.

If you remove the front splitter, the GTS would be a perfectly workable daily driver with some caveats.

The suspension is not compliant, concrete roads with expansion joints make my wife motion sick. You might be able to adjust the compression/rebound settings to dampen that out, but I've left them in the settings that was working at the track.

There are some inconveniences compared to my other BMWs. Very minor, but no comfort access is slightly annoying. I get groceries in mine and every time I forget to unlock the car as I walk up to it. Not a lot of storage in the car which would also make road trips a minor pain. There is constantly stuff in my passenger footwell and the drink cup holders. Fuel economy is terrible, I average under 15mpg, but I'm also not highway cruising in the car.

All that being said the car is an absolute blast, and it feels very unique compared to the other F8x. If you're on the fence about a GTS, buy one and drive it for the summer. Unless the global economy turns into a dumpster fire you'll likely be able to get close to break-even reselling it. Just be aware most of the cars are coming up on 4 years, so if you want to extend the factory warranty then that'll be another cost.

Lastly, the more I drive this car, the more I see it sticking around for a while. Even if I buy a GT3/GT4, the GTS is quite different and worth keeping around. It is just a very special car compared to a M4 ZCP. I never drove a M4 CS, but I'm guessing without the titanium exhaust, the suspension, and the stripped interior, it just wouldn't feel the same.
Appreciate 2
      06-18-2020, 02:07 PM   #7
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

How do you intend to use the car? Mostly track, or mostly street? If it's the latter, how are the conditions of your public roads?

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 02:09 PM   #8
jpdchicago
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL, X3MC

M4 Gts for sure. There is currently nothing else like it from BMW for raw sensations and sensory overload.
I drive mine every day in the summer and it is a blast. It is actually very user friendly due to the regular size trunk. The water injection system does not take any usable space.
A big plus is that you probably won't loose any money on it. Prices are already on the way back up.
Better act fast since there are only 3 or 4 maximum on the market at a reasonable price.
FYI, Cars.com has only 2 M4 Gts for sale (one of which is at $299.000 so forget that one).
Do not forget the 3 year extended warranty as mentioned above.

Last edited by jpdchicago; 06-18-2020 at 02:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 05:37 PM   #9
greb
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3 Comp

Thank you for all your comments.

The M4 GTS is for both track and daily use. Lately I have some more time to drive to the Nurburgring. With the current M3 I've driven a lot of laps, but you certainly miss the ceramic brakes a lot...

And I don't think the GTS is very suitable for daily driving, I don't need the space. And yes, is the step from an M3 competition 2017 to an M3 CS a better step to spend a lot of money on that? Of course it has standard ceramic brakes, a bit stiffer but it's still almost the same M3 as I have now...
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 09:46 PM   #10
gripenM
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M4 CS

if you don't need the rear seats, go for the GTS!
i have the M4 CS and i like having the rear seating for the occasional additional passengers.
But i would totally daily a GTS.
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2020, 04:23 PM   #11
j2dad5389
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Sorry but just the idea of daily driving a race/track car doesn't sound practical to me. I've heard horror stories of how punishing it is on the road. Especially with that front lip splitter coming so close off the ground you're just asking for damage to it (depnding on how shite your roads are). The CS is practical and still fun to drive. Now if you're looking for a dedicated track car that's another story
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 04:29 PM   #12
KakashiSenpai
Troll
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Comp

GTS + LCI headlights = Perfection
Appreciate 1
      07-16-2020, 11:36 PM   #13
ClubsportJunkie
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2dad5389 View Post
Sorry but just the idea of daily driving a race/track car doesn't sound practical to me. I've heard horror stories of how punishing it is on the road. Especially with that front lip splitter coming so close off the ground you're just asking for damage to it (depnding on how shite your roads are). The CS is practical and still fun to drive. Now if you're looking for a dedicated track car that's another story
We haven't talked have we? There's like one other M4 GTS in Austin...

Lol OP you sound like me a while ago. Just for context, the GTS was actually cheaper than the CS when I was looking. I'm using my GTS as a DD right now, and I love it. I hardly scrape my front splitter (but have to back in to parking in fears of parking curbs), and IMO all F8X's are "stiff" cars enough to warrant a nice cruiser/daily/beater. My commute is very short (10 minutes and it's non-existent right now due to COVID), and I don't have a need for back seats (no kids). One other factor for me was that I wanted a car I shouldn't modify, and with exception to potentially switching out for AP Racing Brakes/Apex rims, this comes standard with everything I would have wanted, which keeps my money on paying it off and retaining the value on the car. In addition I know if I got a reg/CS I would have done either Dinan's Sway bar, Ball Joint, and either Ohlin or Dinan's coilover kit ($3k-9k just in parts).

Obviously though my vote is GTS, but you are in the GTS section what do you expect from us
Appreciate 2
j2dad5389371.00
      07-17-2020, 08:47 AM   #14
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

I've done 500 miles on the GTS in one shot on the street, it is not 'punishing'. If someone thinks it is punishing they need a more appropriate vehicle, like a Rav4.

I have a CS and have driven the GTS often. The GTS dials it up in emotion and rawness, for sure that would be my pick
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2020, 10:13 AM   #15
the_scotsman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sport Evo/JP M3/M4 GTS

I have 4.5K miles on my GTS that are all street smiles. I have an 06 F150 for when I have to take more than 1 passenger, or going to somewhere that's hostile for the GTS, or for bad weather.

I'll get it to the track one day - need a new helmet first :-)
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 01:35 PM   #16
Lienrocs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, M4 GTS, HP4

The GTS doesn't even feel remotely similar to a comp pack car. I haven't driven a CS but the character of the engine is completely different, the GTS really wants to be wound out unlike the F80 Jahre (Dinan stage 3) I had. The car feels light and agile, the damping is exceptional (a bit jiggly under about 25 miles an hour but really settles in when you pick up the pace a little) and the GTS will make you feel cool. There's nothing like having a rear view mirror full of wing and cage to make you feel special. As far as scraping is concerned, just swap out the oe splitter with a fall line splitter from ind (I paid about 500 for it shipped I believe) and you won't have to worry about scraping anymore because you can wear the rep down to nothing and then replace it when there's nothing left. Peace of mind and the car still looks the business.

I have almost 10,000 miles on my GTS and put almost 7,000 miles on my first GTS and have loved every second of it. It doesn't need anything done to it other than be enjoyed but it's such a good platform to make into and absolute animal if you have the modding bug.
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2020, 01:58 PM   #17
YKIGI
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Quadrifoglio

Quote:
Originally Posted by greb View Post
earlier i had already created a topic for the choice between a m2 cs or m3 cs. That has now changed into a choice for an m3 cs or m4 gts. I drove both, and i have to say that the m4 gts really gives you the feeling of driving a racing car. The m3 has that a bit less natural because of the two extra doors.

Now i am very doubtful about which choice to make. The m4 gts is great, but it's a shame to do a lot of miles with it. Certainly when it comes to the residual value, there are even some for sale in germany well above two hundred thousand euros. The m3 cs is a bit more daily, and i certainly make around 20,000 km every year. There is also a reasonable price difference between the two, the m3 cs is about twenty thousand euros cheaper. But i'm assuming that an m3 cs won't deliver money in the long run, while an m4 gts can.

My emotion says the m4 gts, but my mind says the m3 cs. Problems such as children or decent is not applicable. The only one who goes along is my girlfriend. This moment i have an f80 m3 with bootmod stage 1 and an ipe exhaust, drives super, but i'm a bit bored with my current m3, also because of the red interior. I would like something new...

M4 gts:

m3 cs:
id say do more research

a manual comp pack + mods from all the money you'll save over those other 2 will ultimately make a better car. If done right

gl

E46 wagon ~ E46 330ci ZHP ~E46 M3 Sold ~ E92 335i Sold ~ E90 M3 Sold ~ F82 M4 Sold <- All Manuals
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 08:44 PM   #18
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

The only time I’ve found my GTS to be ‘punishing’ is when i hit those unevenly laid sections of highway that were set by the construction crew after their drunken Christmas party. Then it feels like driving over a washboard and i feel like I’m close to a concussion. But I’m also the idiot who drives on the street with the suspension on the recommended track settings. You’d do better if you softened up the damper settings a bit.

For your usage, though...? I think the 20k Euro difference would speak the loudest of all and point in the direction of the CS. But look at the GTS in person, drive it around a bit, and see if emotion wins out over rational thought. The CS never got my heart racing the way the GTS did
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 10:58 PM   #19
ABenLauda
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 CS

The only thing I love more on the CS are the lighter and much better looking 763M wheels. With all the weight savings and track prep for the GTS, I can't imagine why they came in the heavy 666M wheels.
Appreciate 1
fanatic11018.50
      08-03-2020, 07:24 AM   #20
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by abenney View Post
The only thing I love more on the CS are the lighter and much better looking 763M wheels. With all the weight savings and track prep for the GTS, I can't imagine why they came in the heavy 666M wheels.
What about this wheels?

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...bon-wheel-set/
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 04:54 PM   #21
ABenLauda
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deda View Post
For the sticker price of the GTS, these carbon fiber wheels should come as standard. IMO, I still think that the 763M wheels look better.
Appreciate 1
fanatic11018.50
      08-03-2020, 05:27 PM   #22
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deda View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by abenney View Post
What about this wheels?

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...bon-wheel-set/
Wow I didn't realize those could be had for $6700 now!! Those were a $18k option (but with tires at least). Still ugly af though
Appreciate 1
Gomeler500.00