Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

08-23-2016, 07:06 PM   #1
BimmerFix
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24' M3 Competition RWD

RE-71R vs MPSS vs PSC2 vs R-S3

Hey guys looking for new tires to replace my MPSS. I'm on stock 20 ZCP wheels so I know choices are limited. My ultimate goal is for best dry traction, but keep in mind these will be my daily driven tires. Car is tuned and has boat loads of power. My current setup is MPSS in Fronts 265/30ZR20 & Rears 285/30ZR20

Trackable/Street Tire:

1. Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2's

I've heard nothing but great things about the Cup 2's and heard they grip like no other. But is anyone else running them as daily. I would get these in 265/35ZR20 & 285/30ZR20, unless and 295 rear is better. Anyone with a bit of experience with these tires could chime in.

Extreme Performance Summer:

1.POTENZA RE-71R, Everyone seems to rave about these tires. I see tire rack has them in 255/40R20 and 285/35R20, but the aspect ratios are 40 in the front and 35 in the rear. Seems way to aggressive and meaty for my 20 inch rims. Would they work, or give me any issues with handing and DSC interventions.

2.VENTUS R-S3 (VERSION 2) . Don't hear too many folks talk about these tires, yet alone on their M's. There seems to be alot of good reviews and ratings on tire rack for what it's worth. They have these in Front 265/35ZR20 & Rear 285/35ZR20 . It matches perfect with my current sizes, only difference is 35 aspect ratio, my stock setup is 30 aspect ratio. Which shouldn't really make a difference right ? Especially since both front and back are 35.

Max Performance Summer:

1. Michelin Pilot Super Sports. These are basically the go to tires for me, but they just are not cutting it putting down the power. Now if I were to get the MPSS again. Should I just get the generic Front's 265/30ZR20 or get the BMW spec rated ones. It's seems like the generic has has a 10" Thread width compared to the BMW spec rated which are 8.9" . And for the rear they have a BMW Spec 295/30ZR20 with the thickest thread width at 11.6". I shouldn't have a problem with the bmw spec 295 fitting my rear 20 inch ZCP rims right . Now would you pair that with a BMW spec front or just a generic one.

Any and all helped with me appreciated, tuned or stock doesn't matter. I know theres alot of track and tire gurus here, that can hopefully help me out
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 07:16 PM   #2
kitesurfer
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Round n' Round

Garage List
I would stay away from most of those tires for daily driven car. Extreme performance / track tires you mentioned above become a liability in the rain with the exception being RE-11s (decent tire in the rain). Its not worth having them unless your not ever gonna drive in the rain. The Track is whole different story have different set of track wheels. You are never gonna get near the limits of a good summer tire let alone an ext. performance tire on the street.
Buy some good Summer tires, MPSS, Contis, Hankoook Ventus , ect and get the right sides for ZCP wheels + 10mm if you want but a 35 or 40 ratio on zcp IMO is not gonna work
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 07:18 PM   #3
black335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: M 4

Probably best over all tire for track and daily would be RE71R. For overall performance on track would be the cup tires. I think everything else is BS.
2015 Honda Accord
2020 Range Rover Sport HST
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 08:59 PM   #4
Iceman51sn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M4

I second what was said above. If you can swing it, get a second set of wheels. I have used the RE-11's and RE-3's and loved them both. RS-3's were not the fastest but the most consistent hands down. At one point they were both my daily and track tires but they won't last too long doing that.

I did also drive them in the rain a couple of times and they were fine but we are spoiled here in SoCal with the weather so can't comment any further on that. Really can't go wrong with any of those to replace the MPSS.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 09:13 PM   #5
Ian1973
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 M3

I can't comment on the track stuff, but for the street, I went away from the BMW specific MPSS's, and bumped up to a 295/30 rear and grip is substantially greater now.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 09:15 PM   #6
BimmerFix
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman51sn View Post
I second what was said above. If you can swing it, get a second set of wheels. I have used the RE-11's and RE-3's and loved them both. RS-3's were not the fastest but the most consistent hands down. At one point they were both my daily and track tires but they won't last too long doing that.

I did also drive them in the rain a couple of times and they were fine but we are spoiled here in SoCal with the weather so can't comment any further on that. Really can't go wrong with any of those to replace the MPSS.

Awesome, since you've had first hand experience with the Ventus RS3 . Care to elaborate some more on their performance. Particularly dry traction and grip on the street, not track. How do they compare to the MPSS, and was the turn in response better or worse. I'm pushing around 500 hp basically
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 09:21 PM   #7
BimmerFix
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian1973 View Post
I can't comment on the track stuff, but for the street, I went away from the BMW specific MPSS's, and bumped up to a 295/30 rear and grip is substantially greater now.
This is definitely my second option. So you say you went with generic, on both your front and rears.What Fronts are you running 255 or 265, & which specs are they if you care to elaborate. Btw the BMW spec 295/30 according to Tire Rack has the widest thread pattern at 11.6 " , so I think those would be best for grip/traction. Keep in mind I'm talking about the 20's not 19's.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 09:43 PM   #8
Ian1973
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 M3

I missed the 20 part. I'm talking the 19's, not sure about 20's of course. I stayed with 255's up front, but figured the generic ones would be slightly wider anyway.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 10:21 AM   #9
Iceman51sn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerFix View Post
Awesome, since you've had first hand experience with the Ventus RS3 . Care to elaborate some more on their performance. Particularly dry traction and grip on the street, not track. How do they compare to the MPSS, and was the turn in response better or worse. I'm pushing around 500 hp basically
Sorry for not stating this before but that was comparing them to the MPSS on a M235. Either way on street they were great. Even without a lot of heat in them they were still better than the M235 MPSS. Tons of grip and turn in was noticeably better (a tire I will definitely be trying out on the M4). I've read plenty of reviews stating that the MPSS in the M4 isn't that far off the grip levels of some of the tires in the extreme performance category.

Any extreme performance tire is just overkill for the street. But that's just my opinion. Wider MPSS should work just fine. Hope that helps you out a bit.

Last edited by Iceman51sn; 08-24-2016 at 10:30 AM..
Appreciate 1
BimmerFix1384.50
      08-24-2016, 11:38 AM   #10
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Hey guys looking for new tires to replace my MPSS. I'm on stock 20 ZCP wheels so I know choices are limited. My ultimate goal is for best dry traction, but keep in mind these will be my daily driven tires. Car is tuned and has boat loads of power. My current setup is MPSS in Fronts 265/30ZR20 & Rears 285/30ZR20

Trackable/Street Tire:

1. Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2's

I've heard nothing but great things about the Cup 2's and heard they grip like no other. But is anyone else running them as daily. I would get these in 265/35ZR20 & 285/30ZR20, unless and 295 rear is better. Anyone with a bit of experience with these tires could chime in.

Extreme Performance Summer:

1.POTENZA RE-71R, Everyone seems to rave about these tires. I see tire rack has them in 255/40R20 and 285/35R20, but the aspect ratios are 40 in the front and 35 in the rear. Seems way to aggressive and meaty for my 20 inch rims. Would they work, or give me any issues with handing and DSC interventions.

2.VENTUS R-S3 (VERSION 2) . Don't hear too many folks talk about these tires, yet alone on their M's. There seems to be alot of good reviews and ratings on tire rack for what it's worth. They have these in Front 265/35ZR20 & Rear 285/35ZR20 . It matches perfect with my current sizes, only difference is 35 aspect ratio, my stock setup is 30 aspect ratio. Which shouldn't really make a difference right ? Especially since both front and back are 35.

Max Performance Summer:

1. Michelin Pilot Super Sports. These are basically the go to tires for me, but they just are not cutting it putting down the power. Now if I were to get the MPSS again. Should I just get the generic Front's 265/30ZR20 or get the BMW spec rated ones. It's seems like the generic has has a 10" Thread width compared to the BMW spec rated which are 8.9" . And for the rear they have a BMW Spec 295/30ZR20 with the thickest thread width at 11.6". I shouldn't have a problem with the bmw spec 295 fitting my rear 20 inch ZCP rims right . Now would you pair that with a BMW spec front or just a generic one.

Any and all helped with me appreciated, tuned or stock doesn't matter. I know theres alot of track and tire gurus here, that can hopefully help me out
You don't really have too many options with a 20" wheel; you're going to be limited by certain sizes. You asked that aspect ratio shouldn't give problems if they're the same. That's not the whole story. Tire sizing is more than just the aspect ratio. To answer your original question, yes, it is good to have a similar rolling radius front/back. However, aspect ratio of the tire contributes to only one part of the rolling radius size.

That being said, you won't be able to fit a 255/40/20 series tire on the front without major rubbing. The rolling diamter of that tire will be 28".

I am running a 265/35/19 (rolling diameter of 26.3") on my front and I have very little room when I turn the wheel. A 28" diameter will most likely rub the wheel wells when the suspension compresses or if you turn the wheel.
Appreciate 1
BimmerFix1384.50
      08-24-2016, 01:42 PM   #11
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

I'm running the RE11 on the street. Good grip (better than MPSS) and decent wet performance. The wear rate seems to be a little less than MPSS though.
      08-24-2016, 01:45 PM   #12
Drew@Sonic MS
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I run PSC2 daily - as good as it gets in my opinion. It's basically a Super Sport with insane grip (minus in the rain) - it's still driveable in the wet, I've done wet track days in them. Downside is that they're crazy expensive.

I really like the AD08Rs also for something less aggressive on the streets.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 02:27 PM   #13
BimmerFix
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew@Sonic MS View Post
I run PSC2 daily - as good as it gets in my opinion. It's basically a Super Sport with insane grip (minus in the rain) - it's still driveable in the wet, I've done wet track days in them. Downside is that they're crazy expensive.

Thanks so much for your response. I'ma take the plunge and run Cups 2 for my next set Hello Griptown USA ! I'm not too worried about rain or wet traction really, perks of living in LA. Few questions Drew, if you don't mind. Did you get the BMW spec rated ones or the generics. And how many miles do you think, your gonna get out of them roughly.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 03:32 PM   #14
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

None of those options are truly options for 20'' besides the 265/30/20 295/30/20 pilot super sports. All the other sizes won't fit right, whether they be too tall or the front is taller than the rear. That's the issue with 20''.. the only tire thats on the level you want (or close to it) is the PSS.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 04:18 PM   #15
YMB_M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BSM M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew@Sonic MS View Post

+1 on AD08Rs. Much less road noise then the RS3s. I have them on my street set of wheels right now and love them. I don't think you would need a tire with more grip than AD08R for street use only.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 05:11 AM   #16
stranger
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I use ad08r and they are fantastic on track and on the street, also they wear very very well.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 11:54 AM   #17
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

One key thing that a lot of people missed on this thread: THE OP HAS 20" WHEELS.

I suspect some people responded to the title and not the content.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 04:07 PM   #18
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by exo-shell View Post
One key thing that a lot of people missed on this thread: THE OP HAS 20" WHEELS.

Voiced what I was thinking.. although I did respond about 20s
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 08:00 PM   #19
BimmerFix
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by exo-shell View Post

This made me laugh, thank you kind sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGames View Post
Voiced what I was thinking.. although I did respond about 20s
Your absolutely right, even the Cups 2's they don't have in 265/30/20. Just going to stick with PSS and call it a day. On another note , I'm thinking about running generics this time around. I've been doing some research on tire rack, and have noticed that BMW spec rated tires have less thread width as opposed to generic PSS. My stock bmw spec front tire 265/30/20 has a thread width of 8.9" vs the generic pilot super sports 10" thread width. WHAT!! 1.1" of extra rubber/contact patch is crazy man. That in itself will be a major boost for my taction/grip problems. And also bmw spec tires start with 7/32 thread brand new vs 10/32 for generics. Thats plenty of more miles you can enjoy out of your rubber Now heres the kicker tho, the BMW spec tires weigh less than the generics, by quite a bit actually. A whopping 2 pounds for the front tires. BMW spec 24 lbs vs generic PSS 26 lbs. So steering and turn in might feel a bit less sharp than before. Or, it might be so minuscule of a change that you wont feel it unless you hit the track or something.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 09:18 AM   #20
m4rawrr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BSM M4

Quote:

Your absolutely right, even the Cups 2's they don't have in 265/30/20. Just going to stick with PSS and call it a day. On another note , I'm thinking about running generics this time around. I've been doing some research on tire rack, and have noticed that BMW spec rated tires have less thread width as opposed to generic PSS. My stock bmw spec front tire 265/30/20 has a thread width of 8.9" vs the generic pilot super sports 10" thread width. WHAT!! 1.1" of extra rubber/contact patch is crazy man. That in itself will be a major boost for my taction/grip problems. And also bmw spec tires start with 7/32 thread brand new vs 10/32 for generics. Thats plenty of more miles you can enjoy out of your rubber Now heres the kicker tho, the BMW spec tires weigh less than the generics, by quite a bit actually. A whopping 2 pounds for the front tires. BMW spec 24 lbs vs generic PSS 26 lbs. So steering and turn in might feel a bit less sharp than before. Or, it might be so minuscule of a change that you wont feel it unless you hit the track or something.
I don't think you'll be happy with your results. I think the main thing you need is a better compound tire not just extra tread width. That same compound tire is just going to keep not sticking unlike the softer more "extreme" tires.
I just tried map7 yesterday with my 305 re-71r's and I was still breaking 1st and 2nd (Granted tire temps stayed below 95f).
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 09:37 AM   #21
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:

If your going with PSS, my recommendation would be to stick with the BMW star spec 265/30R20 front but move to the BMW star spec 295/30R20 from the M5/6 for the rear. The M3/4 does not lack front-end grip but does benefit from a wider tire in the rear. You will definitely feel that meaty 11.6" wide tread in the rear. I have a hunch that the generic 265/30R20 is more designed as a rear tire, you might suffer from increased aqua-planning and increased wear on the inner shoulders.

I have a 265(M0)-295(*)/35R19 setup on my car and really love it. Just be warned that the PSS is not a suitable dry track tire.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 08-27-2016 at 02:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 11:43 AM   #22
BimmerFix
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
If your going with PSS, my recommendation would be to stick with the BMW star spec 265/30R20 front but move to the BMW star spec 295/30R20 from the M5/6 for the rear. The M3/4 does not lack front-end grip but does benefit from a wider tire in the rear. You will definitely feel that meaty 11.6" wide thread in the rear. I have a hunch that the generic 265/30R20 is more designed as a rear tire, you might suffer from increased aqua-planning and increased wear on the inner shoulders.

I have a 265(M0)-295(*)/35R19 setup on my car and really love it. Just be warned that the PSS is not a suitable dry track tire.
I think your hunch is right actually, that explains why its so much wider. Will I have any fitment or TC issues going with the rear bmw spec 295's. You seem much more knowledgeable about this topic than me lol. Theres a very small change in rolling diameter. My stock 285's are 26.8" and the 295's are 27" It's only .2" of a difference I know, and alot of people run much more aggressive setups than this I bet. Thanks for the insight by the way
Appreciate 0