Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

11-10-2020, 08:44 AM   #1
fll_punk
It Feels like Summer in October
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mini

Question for you guys, lane departure

Not being familiar with the implementation on the F80 for lane departure warning, is this normal?

I feel little to no actual steering wheel vibration, but more of this weak rattling sound.

Id like to know before I take it back to the dealer, thanks ya'll! Link to audio of it below:

https://youtu.be/PS3kS79WPH4

Last edited by fll_punk; 11-10-2020 at 12:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 09:29 AM   #2
xxHRxx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82

steering wheel vibration is what this function supposed to do. The rattling noise may come from loosening parts around that area.

I will not worry about this at all.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 10:42 AM   #3
m3elmo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

the wheel will also vibrate for blindspot as well if you change lanes and the car thinks there is a car in your area. it's just a vibration, no it's not a strong vibration but just enough to get your attention.
      11-10-2020, 12:47 PM   #4
PKizzle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, E36 M3, X4 M40

It's just a very subtle vibration to get your attention.

Nothing like on the G20 330 that I had recently as a loaner. That thing pretty much yanks the wheel back to center if it senses that you are straying, or even if changing lanes without a signal as on an empty road. Annoying doesnt even begin to describe it...I felt that kind of active intervention was downright dangerous.

Worst part was that I had to actually fight the steering to continue with the lane change. Hated it.
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2020, 03:47 PM   #5
fll_punk
Rep

Well guys!!! Mystery solved!!
Turns out there was a label loose on the housing of the vibrator and it made that playing card in the bmx spokes sound. Label reaffixed and relocated
Problem fixed!!!
Appreciate 1
SD ///M42992.00
      11-15-2020, 04:35 PM   #6
Darkmann
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fll_punk View Post
Turns out there was a label loose on the housing of the vibrator and it made that playing card in the bmx spokes sound. Label reaffixed and relocated
Problem fixed!!!
Good, but do you understand the vehicle response to lane departure vs blind sport monitoring, with respect to the unique options on your car?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 02:44 PM   #7
fll_punk
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmann View Post
Good, but do you understand the vehicle response to lane departure vs blind sport monitoring, with respect to the unique options on your car?
yes, it was definitely an issue. prior to the label removal the steering column made the noise you'd associate with a poker card on the spokes of your childhood bicycle.
The steering column rumble was present but with an audible noise as mentioned above.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2023, 09:45 PM   #8
evino
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fll_punk View Post
Problem fixed!!!
I know its been a while since this thread was active, but my F80 is making this same exact noise when the lane departure warning goes off. Where is the motor located? Does it require removal of anything to get to it?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 09:00 AM   #9
540fan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82, BMW 540iT E39

Quote:
Originally Posted by evino View Post
I know its been a while since this thread was active, but my F80 is making this same exact noise when the lane departure warning goes off. Where is the motor located? Does it require removal of anything to get to it?
It’s inside the steering wheel. Pop the airbag off (read how to do this safely), take the trim of the face of the wheel and you should see the motor in the lower left part of the steering wheel.

Easy but mind the airbag. Disconnect the BATTERY!

Go easy and all the connections are straightforward and very had to screw up but I suppose someone can if they try hard enough.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2023, 02:07 PM   #10
Monkey Throttle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 comp 6MT, 993 C2S

For what it’s worth I’ve owned a M4 without drivers assistance package and an M3 with drivers assistance package and can say without hesitation the drivers assistance package is the stupidest thing ever and not worth .10.
Appreciate 2
      12-08-2023, 10:58 AM   #11
souldriven
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4

Yeah, not really usefully anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Throttle View Post
For what it’s worth I’ve owned a M4 without drivers assistance package and an M3 with drivers assistance package and can say without hesitation the drivers assistance package is the stupidest thing ever and not worth .10.
I didn't think the button worked on my M4 because the vibration is more or less the vibration you feel from the dots on highway lanes anyway. Disappointing tech for sure.
Appreciate 0