Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

12-02-2020, 08:05 PM   #1
flexspec
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, E90 330i

So, I've been researching this online for a while. But there is a paucity of information.

I have the Active Autowerke's EL midpipe on hand, but I'm awaiting the arrival of the Akrapovic slip-on with carbon tips to pair with it.

Prior to even ordering both of these items I have have been searching relentlessly for information in order to prepare for installation.
I have seen Tommy L Garage's video, as well as an install done on an M4 - but I think it was paired to an MPE axel-back.

I know that the Akra slip-on has a weird bend and is meant to paired with the Akra mid, but does that mean that it must be cut? I so want to avoid doing this. A part of me wants to even go as far as fabricating a section that joins the Active mid-pipe to the Akra vs using the Active mid-pipe end piece.

Any real world experience would be helpful.
Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 09:04 PM   #2
guess2098
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Taycan GTS, 2018 M4, 2016

Cut the el pipe. I think it won't affect the length
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 09:06 PM   #3
Matt@autotalent
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW e92 M3 DCT supercharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceweasel View Post
So, I’ve been researching this online for a while. But there is a paucity of information.

I have the Active Autowerke’s EL midpipe on hand, but I’m awaiting the arrival of the Akrapovic slip-on with carbon tips to pair with it.

Prior to even ordering both of these items I have have been searching relentlessly for information in order to prepare for installation.
I have seen Tommy L Garage’s video, as well as an install done on an M4 - but I think it was paired to an MPE axel-back.

I know that the Akra slip-on has a weird bend and is meant to paired with the Akra mid, but does that mean that it must be cut? I so want to avoid doing this. A part of me wants to even go as far as fabricating a section that joins the Active mid-pipe to the Akra vs using the Active mid-pipe end piece.

Any real world experience would be helpful.
Thanks in advanced.
You can build a modified piece to connect in the center. We've seen muffler shops do it.

Then you just connect the akra to the Active mid pipe itself not the two connecting pipes provided in the kit
Appreciate 1
flexspec367.00
      12-02-2020, 10:02 PM   #4
flexspec
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@autotalent View Post
You can build a modified piece to connect in the center. We've seen muffler shops do it.

Then you just connect the akra to the Active mid pipe itself not the two connecting pipes provided in the kit
This seems to be the solution. I don't see another option.
The goal it now seems to be finding a shop in Houston that can do this job.

It never ends. Thanks.
      12-02-2020, 10:06 PM   #5
Bluer2
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:

It never ends. Thanks.
I recommend Eurocharged here in Houston. They do TIG welding there on custom piping. They are not cheap but will do the job right.
Appreciate 1
flexspec367.00
      12-02-2020, 10:16 PM   #6
flexspec
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluer2 View Post
Quote:

It never ends. Thanks.
I recommend Eurocharged here in Houston. They do TIG welding there on custom piping. They are not cheap but will do the job right.
Thanks for the suggestion!
      12-03-2020, 04:55 AM   #7
Tommy L Garage
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3 6MT CP EP VP

Here is the problem: fabricating a custom piece will cost you more than the potential resale value loss of the cut Akra muffler.

Besides - a modified Akra muffler will sell faster in the used market (in my opinion) since it will be plug and play for most midpipes out there.

FYI: I can’t get enough of how perfect the car sounds with Akra muffler with AA single MP and stock Downpipes
Appreciate 1