Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

07-16-2018, 09:27 AM   #1
kurosagi1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M

Paint chips and issues at the dealer?

Hi guys,

I took a delivery of the M4 and noticed a chipped near the driver side... dealership offered to fix it but said it will be touch up. The appointment will not be scheduled for another week. My only concern is they will just use a touch up paint pen and won’t top it with the clear coat... anyone experiencde similar problem?

I also found that there’s ya ellow stain beneath the clear coat in the front bumper.. they said they will buff it out but again, not too sure if they can fix it to OEM quality...

Hate to wait over 3 months for delivery and run into these issues at delivery!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 10:37 AM   #2
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

This is a new car? Looks like someone opened the door against a wall and chipped the paint. That looks pretty bad. Yellow stain might just be cosmoline. This is why you need to do a thorough inspection and bring up any issues before driving off or else you are SOL.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 10:45 AM   #3
kurosagi1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerIx View Post
This is a new car? Looks like someone opened the door against a wall and chipped the paint. That looks pretty bad. Yellow stain might just be cosmoline. This is why you need to do a thorough inspection and bring up any issues before driving off or else you are SOL.
Yeah... it's a brand new car, delivered 5 days ago.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 08:07 PM   #4
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Why did u take delivery of a car with damages ? That's why I always inspect car during the day under broad daylight before signing papers
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 10:45 PM   #5
kosd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB M4 Convertible

I don’t think that chip can be touched up to look like oem. I have seen dealerships do an ok job of filling these in, but never like new. You could demand that it go to a body shop but it could do more harm than good. I’d have them touch it up as best they can and also demand some compensation for the damage.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 10:48 PM   #6
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

That is a hell of a chip - whatever that door hit, it hit very hard.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 07:12 PM   #7
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [10.00]
I take it the dealer has already admitted responsibility for this defect. An edge location like that cannot be fixed with touch up paint. Attempting a repair like that will, over time, result in damage extending upward and downward from that point. That has to be sanded, feathered out, primed and sprayed. Anything else will result in worse problems down the road. If the dealer insists that touch up is sufficient, make sure you get a written second opinion from a competent body shop so that you have evidence for when that door edge fails. All that aside, something like that must be a total freaking bummer so soon after delivery. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 07:24 PM   #8
Ian1973
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 M3

BMW's paint comes with clear. But it will obviously be higher than the surface and should be wet sanded down if possible. That sucks. My car had some weird stuff on the A pillar that I nearly got out with clay and buffing. My new Mazda has some pretty heavy paint issues from new. I could deal with some, but not all. Everyone sucks. No one has any respect for others stuff, nor do they have half a brain.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 09:11 AM   #9
IDBGOD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

No excuse to accept that on a new car. This isn't a minor surface scratch/ding, that's a full on nasty chip in the door. The only real way to correct it is to repaint/blend the door/panel. Bummer on a brand new car.

You could have the dealer touch it up for you though if that is sufficient for you in the meanwhile. It will probably mask it decent enough. Problem with a respray too is it's never quite like OEM factory paint, but it would be the correct way to repair it.

I would just make sure your dealer is aware of the issue. And if they touch it up, like an above poster said just make sure you cover your bases in case it was to worsen over time.

Depending on if you leased or bought... on a lease, I'd just have them fix it decent enough and document it so if it worsens you aren't responsible for the damage at lease return. If you bought it, yeah I'd want it fixed properly.

Last edited by IDBGOD; 07-18-2018 at 09:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 12:48 PM   #10
NPuter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80

Definitely a bummer, but I don't think those issues would cause me to reject the car...

I'd try Iron X on the yellow spot.

I would definitely try to touch up the chip vs repainting the door (even part of it). Especially so if that's mineral white. I'd much rather have a small semi-noticeable chip/blemish than a repainted door where the paint texture and color aren't perfectly matched.

I'd try Dr. Colorchip -- if you do it right, you can get the touch up pretty level. I was definitely surprised by it the first time I used it.
      07-19-2018, 09:07 PM   #11
MisterF80M3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

You should definitely get it touched up. Not a full Door repaint.

A professional body shop should be able to respray just that area. I've had it done before on a door ding that went through the paint.
      07-26-2018, 09:38 AM   #12
kurosagi1
Private First Class
Rep

Just took her in today! I will keep you guys posted with the final results!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 04:39 PM   #13
kurosagi1
Private First Class
Rep

Basically, back to square one, they said they have to talked to their experts again and asked me to bring the car back another day, this is freaking ridiculous.. They said this is the first they see a car with those yellow stains...
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 05:18 PM   #14
kurosagi1
Private First Class
Rep

just talked with my SA, they will repaint the whole door for the paint chips.. and they are still awaiting for BMW to get back for the stains... think they can achieve good color consistency if my color is in Alpine White?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 06:21 PM   #15
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurosagi1 View Post
just talked with my SA, they will repaint the whole door for the paint chips.. and they are still awaiting for BMW to get back for the stains... think they can achieve good color consistency if my color is in Alpine White?
Alpine White is extremely easy to match. If you had MW, then you be kind of screwed because MW is never the same in detail when you compare between cars.

The damage seems to be like you had someone deliver your car w/o care. Sadly it does happen. Since the car needs to travel from factory to ship yard, off load the ship, travel some more... etc It isn't out of the ordinary for this to happen but it does suck when it happens. I wish BMW protected their cars the way Audi does, completely wrapping the car.

It doesn't help that BMW paint has been getting softer by the year so it's very easy to chip them now. You can barely touch another car when opening the door and it happens. This is partially why I moved away from coupes and their long doors.
      08-12-2018, 12:53 AM   #16
gemini.m3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurosagi1 View Post
Oh man I wouldn't do a full door repaint for that. To not have OEM paint this soon into the car ownership just no bueno.

I've had to repaint things and I've gone to reputable places. If you have a discerning eye you will ALWAYS tell.

Whether it's the color match, or the orange peel, or paint nibs, it will never come close to OEM.

i learned the hard way, a few times - heed my advice. Live with it with some color chip.
2015 335i (retired)
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 02:47 AM   #17
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by deceptiv.M3 View Post
Oh man I wouldn't do a full door repaint for that. To not have OEM paint this soon into the car ownership just no bueno.

I've had to repaint things and I've gone to reputable places. If you have a discerning eye you will ALWAYS tell.

Whether it's the color match, or the orange peel, or paint nibs, it will never come close to OEM.

i learned the hard way, a few times - heed my advice. Live with it with some color chip.
A great shop can get it done correctly that no one can tell.

But it has to be a great shop.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 05:35 AM   #18
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR

Lol @ people worrying about repaint on a new car

If only you knew how many cars are affected by shipping damage that the dealer/importer fixes prior to putting in stock

The shock here is that the dealer didn't fix it prior, so I'm betting some goon at the dealer opened the door on something right before handover

And yep that's a helluva chip, looks like paint edge is going to flake off as soon you hit it with a high pressure hose

Having varying levels of clear coat thickness that you can't see won't bug you as much as having to look at a touch up job at eye level every day
Appreciate 0