Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

12-07-2018, 10:22 AM   #67
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by guess2098 View Post
as long as the mods does not touch anything that relate to engine, most the time bmw does not deny the warranty.
”most (of) the time” being the operative words in your post.

And of course, no guarantees that a SCH only happens during original 4 Year/ 50k mile warranty period.

Let’s see how willing EW is to pay for $25k+ repair without doing a deep dive.

Last edited by IK6SPEED; 12-07-2018 at 10:38 AM..
Appreciate 2
      12-07-2018, 10:37 AM   #68
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0wr View Post
I'm not worrying either because most likely, the odds are that it won't happen.
”most likely the odds are that it won’t happen”

Not to get off topic and don’t want to get this thread going there, but odds were only 20% that HRC would not be President today.

As thus many who would have voted for HRC voted for Green Party Candidate Jill Stein where they would have voted for HRC in 2 person race.

Jill Stein votes in Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio and Pennsylvania denied HRC POTUS. Only part of Stein votes in those states would have given HRC those States.

Stein supporters want their vote back as they are source of HRC losing, against overwhelming odds. They thought the odds were against Trump with only a 20% chance.

Just because odds are low, odds do not always go the way you want.

I use the above as an example that everyone can understand. Please do not turn this into a political thread.

I paid $4000 and changed my odds significantly.
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2018, 11:40 AM   #69
r0wr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Quote:
I'm not worrying either because most likely, the odds are that it won't happen.
”most likely the odds are that it won’t happen”

Not to get off topic and don’t want to get this thread going there, but odds were only 20% that HRC would not be President today.

As thus many who would have voted for HRC voted for Green Party Candidate Jill Stein where they would have voted for HRC in 2 person race.

Jill Stein votes in Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio and Pennsylvania denied HRC POTUS. Only part of Stein votes in those states would have given HRC those States.

Stein supporters want their vote back as they are source of HRC losing, against overwhelming odds. They thought the odds were against Trump with only a 20% chance.

Just because odds are low, odds do not always go the way you want.

I use the above as an example that everyone can understand. Please do not turn this into a political thread.

I paid $4000 and changed my odds significantly.
The fact is that SCH is a low probability outcome. Sure, it can still happen so spin it how you want. If you need the peace of mind, do it. But financially and in terms of expected value, it doesn't make sense to pay $4k for a fix that would cost $20 assuming the probability is less than one percent.
Appreciate 1
gatorfast4969.00
      12-08-2018, 12:15 PM   #70
overlook637
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
1. replacement crank hub metal is strong enough, doesn't break/bend during kick down
I am not buying that DCT kick down has any real effect on the timing chain sprocket.

For the timing chain sprocket to slip it would need to have resistance on one end with overcoming force on the other. What part of the rotating overhead cams create enough resistance to over come a to pressure applied by the bolt when under power.

A kickdown, upshift, or bouncing off the rev limiter should have near zero extra effect on the timing chain pressure. The same pressure to spin at 5000rpm should be the same if its in neutral, upshift or downshift.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 12:20 PM   #71
overlook637
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
assuming the probability is less than one percent.
We don't yet know what, why or how often for this issue. Some people argue that the DCT quick/hrd shifts apply enough jolt to the crankhub bolt to make it loosen up, wear down the threads or eat away the friction discs. I am not arguing that theory. However, if wear and tear for whatever the reason is part of the cause then we could very well see more failures in the future.

I am going to drive a little less agressive, avoid downshifts, not tune for burbles until we know more. These cost me nothing. Once we can narrow down the why then I'll cough up the money for the fix.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 12:26 PM   #72
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlook637 View Post
I am going to drive a little less agressive, avoid downshifts, not tune for burbles until we know more. These cost me nothing. Once we can narrow down the why then I'll cough up the money for the fix.
It's a sure bet more SCH will happen as cars put more miles on them.

It's also a sure bet the incidents will not decrease in frequency.

I purchased a car to enjoy it, not worry every time I drive on how not to drive it.

Peace of mind. Priceless.
Appreciate 2
      12-08-2018, 01:21 PM   #73
r0wr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Beater

Quote:
Quote:
We don't yet know what, why or how often for this issue. Some people argue that the DCT quick/hrd shifts apply enough jolt to the crankhub bolt to make it loosen up, wear down the threads or eat away the friction discs. I am not arguing that theory. However, if wear and tear for whatever the reason is part of the cause then we could very well see more failures in the future.

If that's true, why worry? Why worry about the likelihood that you can be in an accident any time you're on the road. Or that every time you fly, the flight your on can have catastrophic failures?

It's because it's not as common as it seems. This forum exacerbates the issue because the inherent make up of the people who post. I am not worried and neither are the x% of people who have never been on the forums which is a lot of people. Ignorance is bliss and stress about a low percentage issue is dumb. Drive your car and enjoy it.
Appreciate 1
jninja514.50
      12-08-2018, 02:13 PM   #74
///BMW Junkie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M4

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If that's true, why worry? Why worry about the likelihood that you can be in an accident any time you're on the road. Or that every time you fly, the flight your on can have catastrophic failures?

It's because it's not as common as it seems. This forum exacerbates the issue because the inherent make up of the people who post. I am not worried and neither are the x% of people who have never been on the forums which is a lot of people. Ignorance is bliss and stress about a low percentage issue is dumb. Drive your car and enjoy it.
Sure "low percentage issue", but one that can potentially cost you a motor. $15K - $30K bill is not something to sneeze at. My tech at the dealership has already had 3 cars come in for SCH. That's just 1 tech that I deal with. It always boils down to personal comfort level when it comes to insurance, which crank hub upgrade exactly is. Hell, I look at it as preventative maintenance. Very similar to the rod bearing jobs on S65. If you're stock, no track time and drive moderately on the street, you could argue chances are you'll be fine. We don't know if mileage is a factor as these cars are still pretty young, but I'd agree with the gentleman from earlier today that logically more wear could add to it slipping eventually. With that said, if you're tuned or even stock but drive this car the way it's intended, I see the upgrade as the right thing to do. Especially this VTT kit that's cheaper and easier to install, which ends up being less than a exhaust system or a nice set of wheels.
      12-08-2018, 02:32 PM   #75
///BMW Junkie
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It's a sure bet more SCH will happen as cars put more miles on them.

It's also a sure bet the incidents will not decrease in frequency.

I purchased a car to enjoy it, not worry every time I drive on how not to drive it.

Peace of mind. Priceless.
Absolutely. Personally, mine is getting tuned in the spring. When I go pedal to the metal, I wanna be thinking about the guy in my rear view mirror, not the mofo-ing crank hub
      12-08-2018, 04:24 PM   #76
guess2098
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Taycan GTS, 2018 M4, 2016

Quote:
Quote:
1. replacement crank hub metal is strong enough, doesn't break/bend during kick down
I am not buying that DCT kick down has any real effect on the timing chain sprocket.

For the timing chain sprocket to slip it would need to have resistance on one end with overcoming force on the other. What part of the rotating overhead cams create enough resistance to over come a to pressure applied by the bolt when under power.

A kickdown, upshift, or bouncing off the rev limiter should have near zero extra effect on the timing chain pressure. The same pressure to spin at 5000rpm should be the same if its in neutral, upshift or downshift.
Quote:
Quote:

Just saying because old tpg fix broke to pieces. Forget about the kick down I mention, how about just not break!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 11:18 AM   #77
overlook637
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Just saying because old tpg fix broke to pieces. Forget about the kick down I mention, how about just not break!
Thats true. Something created a pretty good load or impact to make the sprocket break.
Didn't TPG take a OEM sprocket and drill out metal to add a pin.

The VTT is a solid piece. So that's not a worry.

Whatever is causing the slippage is pretty powerful. The timing chain and other components must also be taking a beating. If it can break the TPG "fix" or cause the OEM set up to slip, I wonder how this will effect the lifespan of the timing chain, VANOS, or other components.
Appreciate 1
IK6SPEED4479.50
      12-10-2018, 04:30 PM   #78
PhaedeDPGH
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Book time and real time doesn't always match up in all cases. Book quotes 8 hours for replacing coil springs, we can complete it in less than half that. Book sometimes comes up short - so we quote real time.

Total time taken for the complete crank hub install was at 20 hours.
You guys do any kind of testing now that’s this part has been installed?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 04:49 PM   #79
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaedeDPGH View Post
You guys do any kind of testing now that’s this part has been installed?
Dyno tuning is up next, since the turbos were upgraded to Pure S2+ during crank hub installation. This M4 is here regularly, so we'll be periodically checking in to make sure everything is intact.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 12:03 PM   #80
borikuampower
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 ZCP

In response to some comments posted earlier in the thread, if anyone is regretting their purchase of the VTT spline lock crank hub solution during Black Friday let me know.... Willing to buy as I lost the opportunity to jump in the special pricing when on vacations.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 02:47 PM   #81
///BMW Junkie
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by borikuampower View Post
In response to some comments posted earlier in the thread, if anyone is regretting their purchase of the VTT spline lock crank hub solution during Black Friday let me know.... Willing to buy as I lost the opportunity to jump in the special pricing when on vacations.
Have you tried calling them? Wonder if they still honor the deal as they just started shipping them the other day.
      12-11-2018, 03:42 PM   #82
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///FASTDAD View Post
Have you tried calling them? Wonder if they still honor the deal as they just started shipping them the other day.
They sold out the original N55/S55 run.

There appear to be 37 boxes in a picture they claimed were the outgoing shipments so probably the initial run totalled 50 with the 37 along with those sold prior to BF.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 05:29 PM   #83
sdstatestud88
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 MW F80

Quote:
Quote:
They sold out the original N55/S55 run.

There appear to be 37 boxes in a picture they claimed were the outgoing shipments so probably the initial run totalled 50 with the 37 along with those sold prior to BF.
I had #24 written on my box delivered last week Saturday
      12-11-2018, 08:21 PM   #84
borikuampower
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 ZCP

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by borikuampower View Post
Yes I called and emailed them like 1-2 days after BF and had no luck. They still had some in stock, but wouldn't honor the discount which I understood. They are now out of stock!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 08:11 PM   #85
4everkidd
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 AY M3

Quote:
Quote:
You guys do any kind of testing now that's this part has been installed?
Dyno tuning is up next, since the turbos were upgraded to Pure S2+ during crank hub installation. This M4 is here regularly, so we'll be periodically checking in to make sure everything is intact.
Tom does the S55 share the same timing tools as the n54, n55?

Any other special tools required besides the timing tools / camshaft locking and TDC locking tools?
I want to tackle this
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 11:40 PM   #86
milk242
Captain
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everkidd View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Any other special tools required besides the timing tools / camshaft locking and TDC locking tools?
I want to tackle this
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...aft/1VnXHVjmLs

I think that should tell you all you need for tools
20 Tesla Model 3
23 Audi R8 (on order, never came )
Appreciate 2
      12-13-2018, 07:16 AM   #87
4everkidd
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 AY M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by milk242 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everkidd View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I want to tackle this

Awesome thank you. I was looking at the TIS for cam timing and the same tools apply.

Looks like they do share the same tools
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 04:33 PM   #88
overlook637
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by milk242 View Post

Wow OEM repair lists. "Breakaway torque of central bolt > 600 Nm." Thats 442ftlb. And thats not enough to prevent slipping.

How long of a cheater bar is used to create that much torque?
Appreciate 0