Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

12-18-2018, 10:18 AM   #1
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Quick review Nokian WRG4

Hi all,

I'm writing a quick initial review of the Nokian WRG4 on the f80 for those who might be considering this tire.

Background: Stock f80 m3 and these tires are on 18x8 BBS RS wheels fitted in 245/45/18 square setup. They replaced Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4's that performed admirably for over 4 seasons but were solidly worn and snow traction was not great on them anymore. Probably about 20-25k miles on the Michelin PA4 - I would recommend them by the way.

Balancing: The WRG4's balanced "ok". One wheel took over 3 ounces of weight, which is bad in my opinion. The other 3 balanced fine. I wouldn't swear the shop that did this install was the best - the techs seemed competent and I watched the whole time, but it wasn't a high-end shop either. Driving at speeds up to 90mph thus far and there's no wobble in the steering wheel.

Dry Traction: A bit less than the michelin PA4 but a very progressive breakway. Very smooth loss of traction, extremely controllable.

Wet Traction: Excellent; better than the Michelin PA4 (albeit I'm comparing it worn). Surprisingly good for braking and accelerative traction.

Steering feel: Not sloppy by any means, nor vague, but definitely a bit softer. To be fair, I haven't yet adjusted to my normal tire pressures of 35-36 PSI all around. Nonetheless, I feel comfortable saying the Michelin PA4 has a bit better steering feel.

Handling: Quite good for a winter tire. Very predictable feel, confidence inspiring. I'm sure the limits are modest, but it feels good being tossed into an on-ramp/off-ramp at speed.

Snow Traction: Untested as of yet.

Noise: Ridiculously quiet. The technology they are using is impressive. I didn't realize how loud my f80 had gotten; but these really quieted it down.

Comfort: If anything, I'm very impressed by this aspect of the WRG4. It's soaking up bumps very nicely while keeping a fairly connected feel. The tires feel like a good part of the suspension where you can both feel the bump, feel it being absorbed, and feel the tire staying in contact with the road. By no means does this drive like a lexus - but it definitely rides nicer than the Michelin Pilot PA4 which I felt, even when new, was a fairly stiff tire.

I'm satisfied so far but the real test will be winter traction of course - you buy these so you can reliably drive up inclines with inches of snow, slush, and a bit of ice on it and brake/steer reliably too.

Assuming that goes well, this is a solid recommendation for a tire that falls in between a SNOW tire and a performance winter tire.
      02-12-2019, 07:16 AM   #2
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Update to this:

3000 miles on the tires now and have driven in snow, ice, sleet, slush on numerous occasions. Not deep snow yet, but enough to test the tires.

Granted these are still very new tires but I'm extremely impressed. They are better than the Michelin PA4s when new. And even down below 10 degrees outside they feel pliant and grippy.

Their braking and turning performance on snow, sleet, and slush is phenomenal - better than I'm expecting. I've used the phrase "I've become over confident" in describing this to my wife - it drives like I'm on dry ground or maybe a light summer rain.

Acceleration up moderate inclines on snow is quite good. Yes you get some wheelspin - and then it just keeps chugging along.

I've driven them 90-100mph plenty as well and they are smooth and well balanced. They still drive like a skinnier, taller all-season tire - I'm not comparing them to summer performance tires. But they definitely don't suck for winter use and at 3000 miles I'd recommend them over Michelin PA4s.

Just a note: My Michelin PA4s were great, wore evenly, and I still recommend them. I put 4.5 winters on those before I blew out one tire and had a nail in another. They were good tires and I can't yet say that the Nokians will be as good at 15-20k miles.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 01:05 PM   #3
CRRobert
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 Avus Blue ZCP M3

Thanks for the update. I currently have the PA4 on my 340ix, and will be looking for something for next winter for the M3. I have enjoyed Nokian in the past but still trying to find the elusive winter tire for Colorado. My biggest issue with the PA4 is a lack of lateral grip/bite in snow and ice. (Running 255/35/19)
Appreciate 0