Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

02-21-2019, 12:57 PM   #1
TTGator
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Dinan S3

Nut sheared in half, stuck on wheel stud

I was removing the nut from my driver's side front wheel (ironically to replace it and the wheel stud) when it sheared in half. Like the top half the socket goes over came off, and the cone-shaped bottom piece is locked in place, not allowing the wheel to come off.

Any suggestions for me? My local shop has tried a couple things they say, but nothing has worked. Their next step they would cut the stud off as close as possible and just dremel into it slowly. They estimate this to take a couple hours of labor though, and I'd rather not pay a couple hundred dollars.

My idea was to weld a nut onto the end of the thread and just use that to remove the stud itself. They claim to have tried something similar and put enough force on it to where they thought the stud was starting to deform, so stopped. Ughhh.

Last edited by TTGator; 02-22-2019 at 10:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 10:27 PM   #2
coolmody
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW/SO F80 M3

I had a stud shear inside the wheel hub that I needed to extract. I drilled into the stud a couple of times to make an opening where I could use a flathead screwdriver to spin the stud out. This will work assuming there is no torque on the stud as it was easy to spin freely with a flathead.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 05:04 AM   #3
TTGator
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Dinan S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmody View Post
I had a stud shear inside the wheel hub that I needed to extract. I drilled into the stud a couple of times to make an opening where I could use a flathead screwdriver to spin the stud out. This will work assuming there is no torque on the stud as it was easy to spin freely with a flathead.
Update: got it out. We went with my idea and Tig welded one of the other nuts onto the stud and used a long breaker bar. It was so stubborn that the weld broke the first time. Second time the end of the stud broke off while still attached to the nut. But the third time... the third time the castle burned to the ground THEN sank into the swamp. No the third time we welded a second nut as deeply threaded into the stud as possible and worked it slowly with the breaker bar while hitting it with an impact gun from time to time to help loosen it.

Short video of it on my IG @ttgator
Appreciate 1
Jockey3448.00
      02-22-2019, 09:50 AM   #4
MannyM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2, 2001 Honda S2000

I've used kits like this in the past for my race car and it has worked well.

https://www.amazon.com/Extractor-Rem.../dp/B01M7XDBYF
Appreciate 0