EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

04-25-2024, 05:12 PM   #1
NORAGRETS
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP BSM 2012 E82 1

Garage List
Ignition Projects Coils

IP and Okada are the same thing, but wondering if anyone has run IP or Okada coils with good results? They ain't cheap...$1000 for a set. If purchased through TMS they are under "lifetime" warranty.

Guaranteed to be a spicy comment section lets hear it

RIP - E82 135i - 7/7/2021
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 06:19 PM   #2
Schemxr
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Eldor ignition coils are the best. 1k for ignition coils is a joke ☠️
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 06:23 PM   #3
NORAGRETS
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schemxr View Post
Eldor ignition coils are the best. 1k for ignition coils is a joke ☠️
Ok I think people are missing the point.

When u do the b58 coil upgrade it’s because they provide more spark than the s55 coils.

The kit costs like $350 alone.

The coils cost like $160 alone

The sparks cost maybe $150 too.

The spark upgrade is supposedly 2-3x more spark than the s55 coils.

The ignition projects coils tout 4x more spark…significantly more than s55 and b58 coils.

AND you don’t have to worry about the stupid conversion kit etc.

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 06:35 PM   #4
Info@mad-us.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: bmw

I would only upgrade if you are misfiring due to not enough spark in very high hp applications. Most of us are closing the plug gap and not expanding it. It's not much of an upgrade for most..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 07:37 PM   #5
imperfectluck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 20' F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info@mad-us.com View Post
I would only upgrade if you are misfiring due to not enough spark in very high hp applications. Most of us are closing the plug gap and not expanding it. It's not much of an upgrade for most..
That just had me thinking the same actually with looking how most folks look to close the gap though chetrickerman seems to have gotten some good results from another thread.

I’m on hybrid turbos and never really contemplated on upgrading the coils since I haven’t had any misfiring and I’m mid 700’s hp wise when running E.
Appreciate 1
NORAGRETS451.00
      04-25-2024, 07:55 PM   #6
NORAGRETS
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperfectluck View Post
That just had me thinking the same actually with looking how most folks look to close the gap though chetrickerman seems to have gotten some good results from another thread.

I’m on hybrid turbos and never really contemplated on upgrading the coils since I haven’t had any misfiring and I’m mid 700’s hp wise when running E.
What thread are you referring to?

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 09:10 PM   #7
Schemxr
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORAGRETS View Post
Ok I think people are missing the point.

When u do the b58 coil upgrade it’s because they provide more spark than the s55 coils.

The kit costs like $350 alone.

The coils cost like $160 alone

The sparks cost maybe $150 too.

The spark upgrade is supposedly 2-3x more spark than the s55 coils.

The ignition projects coils tout 4x more spark…significantly more than s55 and b58 coils.

AND you don’t have to worry about the stupid conversion kit etc.
just by changing the coils it doesn’t help unless you actually change the dwell time on your tuning suite. best bang for your buck is using eldor coils that are meant for the s55.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2024, 09:11 PM   #8
NORAGRETS
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schemxr View Post
just by changing the coils it doesn’t help unless you actually change the dwell time on your tuning suite. best bang for your buck is using eldor coils that are meant for the s55.
Well yeah the plan would be to change dwell after the install

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 11:26 PM   #9
Schemxr
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Well yeah the plan would be to change dwell after the install
i asked my tuner about this and he doesn’t recommend it based on something with the ecu/dme. i’m not sure why it would be but i really want to see real street results with before and after. if there have been tests with dyno numbers/data logs that show how it can increase power, please link it. i’ve been eyeing the nexus kit since 2022 but never pulled the trigger on it. now i’m fully built with a single turbo so if there are actual benefits with real world results, i will definitely try.

based on my experience, the bmw high power spark plugs + eldor coils have resulted the best performance for me personally.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 10:15 AM   #10
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

I really like the in-depth testing Bahn did before he released his Nexsys kit. I paticularily liked that he measured temp. rise of the electronic components inside the DME that fire the coils. Even with the b58 coils, the temp rise on those DME components is higher than with the stock coils (the extra spark energy has to come from somewhere).

I don't know anything about these Injector Project coils, but if they actually produce 4x spark energy and 2x spark current as they claim (which sounds dubious to me), I'd be concerned the extra energy consumption through the DME could potentially impact it's long-term reliability through additional heat exposure.

Personally, I'd want to see some in-depth testing like what Bahn did before I'd feel comfortable running these. Something that compares their output, and associated temp impact on the DME to the other available options to see where these fit in the mix.
Appreciate 3
NORAGRETS451.00
n8dgr84180.50
Schemxr72.50
      04-26-2024, 01:05 PM   #11
NORAGRETS
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheela View Post
I really like the in-depth testing Bahn did before he released his Nexsys kit. I paticularily liked that he measured temp. rise of the electronic components inside the DME that fire the coils. Even with the b58 coils, the temp rise on those DME components is higher than with the stock coils (the extra spark energy has to come from somewhere).

I don't know anything about these Injector Project coils, but if they actually produce 4x spark energy and 2x spark current as they claim (which sounds dubious to me), I'd be concerned the extra energy consumption through the DME could potentially impact it's long-term reliability through additional heat exposure.

Personally, I'd want to see some in-depth testing like what Bahn did before I'd feel comfortable running these. Something that compares their output, and associated temp impact on the DME to the other available options to see where these fit in the mix.
I think I’ve come across 1 other user who has the IP coils. It was years ago, and seemed like he may have been sponsored by IP for the post.

Gonna reach out to IP to get more info and data

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 06:17 PM   #12
NORAGRETS
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Most of our Ignition Coil kits are base of OEM Coil with our added technology. The price was set base on the cost of OEM coils from dealership/supplier, material, hand assembly hours and our profit. Most costs are added from the assembly hours. Each coils sets will take our tech around 4~8 hours to assemble or sometime more (depends on the application).

Our coil is designed to achieve higher Spark Current and longer Spark Duration. Attachment is the sample graph on the BMW G8X series ignition coil. Orange line represent the OE coil and Green is ours. And our Voltage output is lower than OE coil because Energy = Volts*Amps. The total output energy is same as OE coil spec. Same goes with Temp….etc because we use OE coil as the base. The purpose of our modification/spec allows tuner to run more fuel and higher boost to achieve more power. We don’t have testing data on hand for S55 coils at moment. Its actually something we work on now, we are gathering testing results for all of our coils and we will put it on our website over the next few months.

As far as lifecycle, it really depends on your modification, tuning and usage. Ignition coil is just a part of whole setup. There’s multiple race cars (mostly Japanese vehicles) uses our Ignition Coil. Some of them may have single coil failed after 3~4 races and most of them had been running the same coil for years without issues. And some race team/car will send the coil to us to inspect every year or every few races. It really depends on the setup of the car.

This is part of reason we never offer sponsorship or testing discounts. Every car builds differently and every builder/tuner builds the car differently. We had never claim our Ignition Coils are the BEST and we can’t because every car is build differently. We can provide testing data (as attached) and customers can decide if this is the product they looking for or not. Majority of our customers are builder/tuners who had experience/used/known our products in the past. And some end users are buying it to replace their old coil to eliminate the misfiring issue.

Please feel free to contact us anytime if you have other questions.

Best Regards,

Andy Chen / Ignition Projects
16872 Hale Ave, Suite A,
Irvine, CA 92606
TEL : 949 336 7661
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
SilleM358.50
      04-27-2024, 07:35 AM   #13
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep

Just posted over on the b58 coil thread, but wanted to come back over here. I swore I saw 4x spark energy and 2x spark current listed on their site yesterday. Did you see that too?

The response they gave above says the spark energy is the same (1x, not 4x), and they can do longer duration and keep total energy the same because they have a lower voltage. For data, they have 1 pic of an oscilloscope screen with no set up or method details? You asked about s55 coils, and their pic is from b58 coils (actually they say g80 coils, but pretty sure s58 and b58 use the same coil) but they say they're working on s55 coils now? They already sell s55 coils but have no data on them?

I checked your link again today to double-check against the data they gave you, and I see nothing remotely close to indicating 4x anything, let alone 4x spark energy and 2x spark current anymore. Did anybody else see that on their site yesterday? Was I seeing things? Or did they quick edit their site content yesterday because they got called out? I did see on their site yesterday a massive disclaimer section basically saying they're not responsible for the accuracy of any site content (tldr of multiple paragraphs of disclaimers).

Screenshot from this morning - no 4x energy or 2x current claims.
Attached Images

Last edited by wheela; 04-27-2024 at 07:40 AM..
Appreciate 1
NORAGRETS451.00
      04-27-2024, 11:43 AM   #14
NORAGRETS
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Just posted over on the b58 coil thread, but wanted to come back over here. I swore I saw 4x spark energy and 2x spark current listed on their site yesterday. Did you see that too?

The response they gave above says the spark energy is the same (1x, not 4x), and they can do longer duration and keep total energy the same because they have a lower voltage. For data, they have 1 pic of an oscilloscope screen with no set up or method details? You asked about s55 coils, and their pic is from b58 coils (actually they say g80 coils, but pretty sure s58 and b58 use the same coil) but they say they're working on s55 coils now? They already sell s55 coils but have no data on them?

I checked your link again today to double-check against the data they gave you, and I see nothing remotely close to indicating 4x anything, let alone 4x spark energy and 2x spark current anymore. Did anybody else see that on their site yesterday? Was I seeing things? Or did they quick edit their site content yesterday because they got called out? I did see on their site yesterday a massive disclaimer section basically saying they're not responsible for the accuracy of any site content (tldr of multiple paragraphs of disclaimers).

No you’re right it did say 4x somewhere

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 09:54 PM   #15
NORAGRETS
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

It was on the turner website
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 10:56 PM   #16
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It was on the turner website
Thanks for digging that up, I knew I had seen that! They can update their own website as quick as they like, but reseller's website's not so much...
Appreciate 1
NORAGRETS451.00
      04-30-2024, 10:58 PM   #17
NORAGRETS
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for digging that up, I knew I had seen that! They can update their own website as quick as they like, but reseller's website's not so much...
I emailed the IP owner about the turner MS claims on their website to see if he would confirm any of them...ill report back

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 10:59 PM   #18
NORAGRETS
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I don't recall seeing it on the IP website TBH but I could be wrong...I first discovered them on the TMS website, so my info was based off of TMS until I reached out to IP. Just to be fair, I don't think IP changed any info on their site, but again not 100% sure

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 01:56 AM   #19
b_w.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I thought I read somewhere that they haven't delivered good products going back to the E46 days and that it's best to stay away.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 02:05 AM   #20
NORAGRETS
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_w. View Post
I thought I read somewhere that they haven't delivered good products going back to the E46 days and that it's best to stay away.
🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️

Appreciate 0