BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

09-22-2021, 08:48 PM   #23
Nonstopjohn3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw M3 F80

Garage List
2016 Bmw m3   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstopjohn3 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djdnav View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFAM3 View Post
Team, I really need help here.

Little background on the car. 2017 F82 M4, FBO w Pures. Problem first started about 2 years ago with JB4. I would get a fault but I can't remember why. But didn't seem to really affect the car.

Fast forward to today. I have a Bootmod. I get multiple Drivetrain Warnings daily and they disappear. And then I get battery faults such as Electrical Power Supply Limited. And many times, the driving mode will change from efficient to sport or something else by itself. And sometimes, I'm driving and the cars driving power completely dies for about a second and then comes back.

I've changed the main and auxiliary water pumps, alternator, battery, and most recently, the DME which was not cheap, all at the dealers request and the problem keeps reoccurring. I have no warranty due to the upgraded. I have thrown a bunch of money at this car and nothing seems to work.

Does anyone have any idea what I could be dealing with?
I had very similar symptoms, it turned out to be a bad trans-chassis ground.
I changed the battery, new dme, all fuses and connectors checked, new ground cable the one by the trans nothing seems to work. Car is completely dead. After reading on here I resented the icm, the engine finally turns but no start. Called the dealer they want to charge me $198 per hour unfortunately my car has 70 k miles and this is a brand néw build, engine was out of the car I have the crank hub done new turbos new down pipes csf cooler intercooler etc. All the work done by N.C.A motorsports $46k into the build and now the car won't start 1.3 years at the shop at this point I don't know what to do. Please if anyone knows anything I would really appreciate any advice at this point.
Well thanks for the help, I'll help my self. I took out my dme and the fem and I am sending them out to get them refurbished will post after install. The reason I sent them out is because I couldn't find any lose connection or ground wire and since the dme was sent out before for repair I don't think it reads the fem module. Fingers crossed
Dme was taken off module taken off and sent out to be refurbished. Nothing wrong with the units they will go back in the car one the next couple of hours and I'll update the new codes/issues.
Dme and module back in guys, car doesn't start after all this the mechanic was messing with one of the connections between the dme and module one of the cable connectors was reversed. So after fixing that no more codes come up but the car doesn't start still. Next step would be checking the timing since the crank hub was done I am assuming the timing was not done correctly. I will post updates after timing is being looked into.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 01:50 PM   #24
Nonstopjohn3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 Bmw m3   [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Little background on the car. 2017 F82 M4, FBO w Pures. Problem first started about 2 years ago with JB4. I would get a fault but I can't remember why. But didn't seem to really affect the car.

Fast forward to today. I have a Bootmod. I get multiple Drivetrain Warnings daily and they disappear. And then I get battery faults such as Electrical Power Supply Limited. And many times, the driving mode will change from efficient to sport or something else by itself. And sometimes, I'm driving and the cars driving power completely dies for about a second and then comes back.

I've changed the main and auxiliary water pumps, alternator, battery, and most recently, the DME which was not cheap, all at the dealers request and the problem keeps reoccurring. I have no warranty due to the upgraded. I have thrown a bunch of money at this car and nothing seems to work.

I changed the battery, new dme, all fuses and connectors checked, new ground cable the one by the trans nothing seems to work. Car is completely dead. After reading on here I resented the icm, the engine finally turns but no start. Called the dealer they want to charge me $198 per hour unfortunately my car has 70 k miles and this is a brand néw build, engine was out of the car I have the crank hub done new turbos new down pipes csf cooler intercooler etc. All the work done by N.C.A motorsports $46k into the build and now the car won't start 1.3 years at the shop at this point I don't know what to do. Please if anyone knows anything I would really appreciate any advice at this point.
Well thanks for the help, I'll help my self. I took out my dme and the fem and I am sending them out to get them refurbished will post after install. The reason I sent them out is because I couldn't find any lose connection or ground wire and since the dme was sent out before for repair I don't think it reads the fem module. Fingers crossed
Dme was taken off module taken off and sent out to be refurbished. Nothing wrong with the units they will go back in the car one the next couple of hours and I'll update the new codes/issues.
Dme and module back in guys, car doesn't start after all this the mechanic was messing with one of the connections between the dme and module one of the cable connectors was reversed. So after fixing that no more codes come up but the car doesn't start still. Next step would be checking the timing since the crank hub was done I am assuming the timing was not done correctly. I will post updates after timing is being looked into.
Car started after drive logic installed new software the main issue was the dme. Car was on for like 35 min after the car was turned off, it would not keep idle anymore. New problem is car does not hold idle. Anyone knows anything please let me know.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 12:12 AM   #25
Nonstopjohn3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 Bmw m3   [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Car started after drive logic installed new software the main issue was the dme. Car was on for like 35 min after the car was turned off, it would not keep idle anymore. New problem is car does not hold idle. Anyone knows anything please let me know.
After all, fuel pump was clogged because the car was off for over a year. Double checked the dme connections and removed the fuel pump and reinstalled and they car turned on oh and a fuse needed to be replaced. Car is on the road
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 11:52 PM   #26
Nonstopjohn3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 Bmw m3   [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

After all, fuel pump was clogged because the car was off for over a year. Double checked the dme connections and removed the fuel pump and reinstalled and they car turned on oh and a fuse needed to be replaced. Car is on the road
Car has been fixed, new spark plugs, new coils, new fuel injectors.
Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2023, 08:26 PM   #27
todd20
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 m4

sorry to bring this back from the dead but I have this same issue

Where can I find that ground wire??
Appreciate 0