European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

12-17-2023, 10:51 AM   #1
jaylazy2020
Captain
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 Comp

Do these marks look strange? I found a great stretch of unrestricted autobahn from Stuttgart to Munich so gave my (new to me) 2NH brakes a test.

They were fine, no droning like standard set up but they didn’t give me that re assuring bite when a golf pulled out in front of me at 280!

Anyway I noticed all the discs had these marks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 01:12 PM   #2
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylazy2020 View Post
Do these marks look strange? I found a great stretch of unrestricted autobahn from Stuttgart to Munich so gave my (new to me) 2NH brakes a test.

They were fine, no droning like standard set up but they didn’t give me that re assuring bite when a golf pulled out in front of me at 280!

Anyway I noticed all the discs had these marks.
No pics attached
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 01:14 PM   #3
jaylazy2020
Captain
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
No pics attached
Uploaded now. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 01:25 PM   #4
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

First, did you properly bed the pads and rotors after the install?

Second, had you been running for miles without having touched the brake pedal before having to hit the brakes hard to avoid hitting the VW?

Third, using stock or oem pads?

From the pics it looks like very uneven pad transfer due to not bedding them or hitting them hard while cold or potentially a combo of the two. Go out and try rebedding them. Drive around normally for 15 minutes with low-medium braking to get the rotors up to a reasonable temp then try 8-10 hard stops from 70-30 mph in quick succession without engaging ABS. Once this is done try and drive for 20-30 min on the highway without having to use the brakes or use them as little as possible. If this doesn’t clean things up, remove the pads from the calipers and sand off the glazing that’s formed on the pads, and then repeat the bedding procedure.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 03:05 PM   #5
jaylazy2020
Captain
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
First, did you properly bed the pads and rotors after the install?

Second, had you been running for miles without having touched the brake pedal before having to hit the brakes hard to avoid hitting the VW?

Third, using stock or oem pads?

From the pics it looks like very uneven pad transfer due to not bedding them or hitting them hard while cold or potentially a combo of the two. Go out and try rebedding them. Drive around normally for 15 minutes with low-medium braking to get the rotors up to a reasonable temp then try 8-10 hard stops from 70-30 mph in quick succession without engaging ABS. Once this is done try and drive for 20-30 min on the highway without having to use the brakes or use them as little as possible. If this doesn’t clean things up, remove the pads from the calipers and sand off the glazing that’s formed on the pads, and then repeat the bedding procedure.
Many thanks for the guide.

I bought the discs and calipers second hand but they had only done 10k km and are very fresh.

It’s completely stock 400mm fronts and 380 rears wit oem pads and upgraded to steel lines with Castrol SRF fluid.

I drove slowly from Munich to Stuttgart as it was snowing

They I drove short local journeys and all was fine.

Today it was cold but dry and sunny.

So perhaps the when I did the first big big stop from 283 they discs had cooled down?

I didn’t stand on the brakes as I always like to modulate the brakes have a little bit in reserve.

They didn’t grumble like the old standard set up with DS2500.

I’ll try the process you describe.

Should I aim to get the pads back to looking like the picture below?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 03:11 PM   #6
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

The rotor in the last pic (couldn’t clearly see rotor with wheel installed) looks decent. One last thing, do not apply the handbrake with hot rotors, for example after bedding the brakes, after a track session, or driving aggressively in the mountains with heavy brake use. If you do then you’ll see an outline of the brake pad on the rotor surface. This is what typically causes brake vibrations.
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2023, 03:13 PM   #7
jaylazy2020
Captain
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
The rotors in the last pic looks decent. One last thing, do not apply the handbrake with hit rotors still really hit after, for example bedding the brakes, going to track, or driving in the mountains with heavy brake use. If you do then you’ll see an outline of the brake pad o n the rotor durfave
Thanks. I’ll keep that in mind. Hopefully once I crack 306km/h 190mph I’ll retire !
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 04:46 PM   #8
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. I’ll keep that in mind. Hopefully once I crack 306km/h 190mph I’ll retire !

Are there a limited number of pad compounds/brands available for the BMW Gold calipers? PFC 01, 03, 05 and 11 are my favorite pad compounds. Hawk DTC are ok but find them lacking in initial feel and modulation. I’ve heard great things about Cobalt pads but have used them. Carbotech was my go to pad for ~12 years and one huge advantage is they’ll make custom shaped pads and thickness quickly. I’m positive CT offers pads for the Gold calipers - I’d recommend the 1521 for street and XP12 (or XP20 which requires grippy race tires).
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2023, 06:57 PM   #9
NSX2M4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 ZCP- RIVIAN R1S QUAD

Not sure if they look strange or not. However, buying brakes second hand is like buying used tires. Don't risk it.
      12-17-2023, 11:20 PM   #10
jaylazy2020
Captain
Ireland
Rep

Short 15 km trip to airport this morning and marks on discs are a little bit less. Hopefully they will clean up.

There is no vibration and they are smooth from high speed
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 11:40 PM   #11
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Short 15 km trip to airport this morning and marks on discs are a little bit less. Hopefully they will clean up.

There is no vibration and they are smooth from high speed
The rotors and pads are fine. You just need to rebed the brakes - remove uneven pad deposits and transfer a uniform layer of pad material. Brakes work by adherent friction which is when the pad transfer layer is what gets worn away while braking. When brakes are cold and/or no transfer layer then it’s called abrasive friction which is when the pad machines away the rotor surface to generate brake force.

Last edited by M3SQRD; 12-17-2023 at 11:50 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2023, 11:48 PM   #12
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX2M4 View Post
Not sure if they look strange or not. However, buying brakes second hand is like buying used tires. Don't risk it.
I disagree. I have sold and bought used kits over the years and also know quite a few people who have done the same. With enough pictures of various details and rotor thickness measurements then the level of risk is the same as buying any other used part. If you really want to play it safe then buy a piston replacement kit and remove&replace seals and pistons (and dust seals if street setup) before installing the kit.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 12:24 AM   #13
jaylazy2020
Captain
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
I disagree. I have sold and bought used kits over the years and also know quite a few people who have done the same. With enough pictures of various details and rotor thickness measurements then the level of risk is the same as buying any other used part. If you really want to play it safe then buy a piston replacement kit and remove&replace seals and pistons (and dust seals if street setup) before installing the kit.
Good to know. From that add that I bought them from you can see they had little wear from new.
They were bought new from Bmw and the company that fired them and took them off his M4 fitted them for me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 02:49 AM   #14
robbo mcs
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 and others

Quote:
Good to know. From that add that I bought them from you can see they had little wear from new.
They were bought new from Bmw and the company that fired them and took them off his M4 fitted them for me.
1) They are pad deposits. Rebed the brakes as advised, they should wear off

2) That is not the optimum way to measure disc residual thickness. Measuring with a flat caliper like that can overestimate the thickness, as it will measure the thickest part across the face, usually at the extreme outside. You need a proper brake disc gauge, that has caliper ends that can measure the thickness anywhere across the disc, like these
https://www.ozwidetools.com.au/digit...measuring-tool
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2023, 08:29 AM   #15
hC1001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3

You are fine. Thats just pad transfer. After driving the car normal for a bit, it will clean it up and go back to normal...

Since you dont have any vibration under braking, you are good. Dont worry.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2023, 08:34 AM   #16
jaylazy2020
Captain
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hC1001 View Post
You are fine. Thats just pad transfer. After driving the car normal for a bit, it will clean it up and go back to normal...

Since you dont have any vibration under braking, you are good. Dont worry.
Thanks.

They are way smoother than the standard set up but to be fair to the blue caliper set up it had 90k km on it.

Ferodo ds2500 pads seemed to cause a terrible drone from high speed.

I’ve read that this can be down to cross drilling and maybe slotted are better?

Girodisc 400mm fronts are €1600 a pair!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 01:20 PM   #17
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo mcs View Post
1) They are pad deposits. Rebed the brakes as advised, they should wear off

2) That is not the optimum way to measure disc residual thickness. Measuring with a flat caliper like that can overestimate the thickness, as it will measure the thickest part across the face, usually at the extreme outside. You need a proper brake disc gauge, that has caliper ends that can measure the thickness anywhere across the disc, like these
https://www.ozwidetools.com.au/digit...measuring-tool
Cheaper caliper option (for those in US):
https://www.amazon.com/Anytime-Tools...s%2C103&sr=8-3
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 12:04 AM   #18
SilleM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 bl Saphire competition M3

Quote:
Thanks.

They are way smoother than the standard set up but to be fair to the blue caliper set up it had 90k km on it.

Ferodo ds2500 pads seemed to cause a terrible drone from high speed.

I’ve read that this can be down to cross drilling and maybe slotted are better?

Girodisc 400mm fronts are €1600 a pair!
Like the guys said it's just a transfer layer of the pad. You over heated them a little bit. I have the same n2h brakes. I bought mine brand new from bmw and the same thing happens In the canyon and at the track or bedding them in.

First picture is after I bed the brake pads in. HAWK HPS 5.0

when I use track pads that doesn't happen. It's the pad material. No biggie.

1st picture upside down 😱
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-19-2023, 06:58 PM   #19
NSX2M4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 ZCP- RIVIAN R1S QUAD

Quote:
Well, I'm glad you are one of the lucky ones. Being that you sell used brakes, this response is no surprise. It's a consumable part, like tires it's all how the product is used per owner. I'm merely starting that brakes and tires in a used products forum is a seriously high risk buy.
      12-28-2023, 04:09 PM   #20
jaylazy2020
Captain
Ireland
Rep

I just drove a 991.2 Gt3 touring.

Amazing car and prob not as fast as my stage 2 F82 but amazing letting it rev out! The power is so linear! The sound!

But the most impressive part was the bite from the brakes!

150kph and a stab of the brakes really stops the car to the point where your chest is thrown forward.

I’ve read that CCCb versus steel only offer much less fade and know Porsche have always had amazing brakes but I was shocked at how good they were.

Could it all be down to the pad? For that intial bite and them ability to modulate?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 04:53 PM   #21
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I just drove a 991.2 Gt3 touring.

Amazing car and prob not as fast as my stage 2 F82 but amazing letting it rev out! The power is so linear! The sound!

But the most impressive part was the bite from the brakes!

150kph and a stab of the brakes really stops the car to the point where your chest is thrown forward.

I’ve read that CCCb versus steel only offer much less fade and know Porsche have always had amazing brakes but I was shocked at how good they were.

Could it all be down to the pad? For that intial bite and them ability to modulate?
Braking distance is dominated by tire grip. Pad initial bite can make it feel like you’re stopping much faster and in a shorter distance. CCB and brake kits, with the same tires, will have similar braking distance to stop except it can be done over and over again without fading. Stock system will fade after only a couple-few threshold stops. I prefer a brake pad with a decent initial bite but great modulation/control.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2023, 06:44 AM   #22
jaylazy2020
Captain
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Braking distance is dominated by tire grip. Pad initial bite can make it feel like you’re stopping much faster and in a shorter distance. CCB and brake kits, with the same tires, will have similar braking distance to stop except it can be done over and over again without fading. Stock system will fade after only a couple-few threshold stops. I prefer a brake pad with a decent initial bite but great modulation/control.
I get what your saying but that intial bite and grab on the 991 is so much better than my 2NH set up.

I’m not pushing the grip levels on a bone dry motorway at 150kmph.

It just feels like the pads are grabbing the discs so well on the 991

Whereas on my F82 is doesn’t have that immediate feeling when I hit the brakes

I’d love to drive a F82 or even G82 with carbon brakes to see how they compare to the 991
Appreciate 0