Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

04-04-2016, 09:38 AM   #1
Relak
Battle Buddy
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

F83 Owners: With the top down does your front end vibrate or seem "light"?

So I've had vibration issues in the past and it's only getting worse as time goes on. I'm starting to think it has nothing to do with the wheels themselves and more with suspension components.

with the top up, I hit a slight bump and there is some wobble in the front end. I've had the car aligned, wheels spin balanced, road force balanced, and on the car balanced, no damage = it's not the wheels.

With the top down it's worse 10-fold. With the weight of the roof in the trunk the front wheel wobble is very noticeable when I hit a bump or a pothole. I'm starting to wonder what it could be. I've had this issue since I purchased it, but lowering the car and putting spacers on has only made it worse. I'd like to get some ideas on what to check before I return it back to stock and bring it to the dealer to diagnose (even though they couldn't diagnose it when it was stock to begin with). I just want to be able to enjoy the car more. Any ideas?
      04-04-2016, 09:44 AM   #2
Chez
Brit Abroad
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Frozen Black M4

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [9.50]
These were my impressions of the F83 loaner I've had a couple of times while my F82 was in for service.

Instagram @M4TTE_BMW

More info and photos here.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 10:21 AM   #3
guarnibl
Major
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKitSS View Post
So I've had vibration issues in the past and it's only getting worse as time goes on. I'm starting to think it has nothing to do with the wheels themselves and more with suspension components.

with the top up, I hit a slight bump and there is some wobble in the front end. I've had the car aligned, wheels spin balanced, road force balanced, and on the car balanced, no damage = it's not the wheels.

With the top down it's worse 10-fold. With the weight of the roof in the trunk the front wheel wobble is very noticeable when I hit a bump or a pothole. I'm starting to wonder what it could be. I've had this issue since I purchased it, but lowering the car and putting spacers on has only made it worse. I'd like to get some ideas on what to check before I return it back to stock and bring it to the dealer to diagnose (even though they couldn't diagnose it when it was stock to begin with). I just want to be able to enjoy the car more. Any ideas?
Interesting. I've too noticed a vibration lately and a slight whobble when going over uneven roads or hitting small bumps in the road. I think it's my spacers. I didn't start noticing it until after I put front spacers on. They're good quality spacers (macht schnell) that were professionally installed. Our roads out here are pretty amazing, so I've lived with it. I haven't noticed though if it's worse with the top down because well, Arizona and top is always down.

My car is stock, minus front 15mm spacers.
      04-04-2016, 11:04 AM   #4
Relak
Battle Buddy
United_States
Rep

It was this way with me stock and after spacers, I'm on 15mm spacers as well. It's almost as if the front suspension is calibrated a little off, not taking in the weight of the roof and parts.
      04-04-2016, 03:07 PM   #5
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

Have the wheel bearings checked.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 03:39 PM   #6
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible

Can say that I definitely have not experienced this issue with close to 12K mile son car - strongly suspect either the spacers and/or the bearings as others have noted may be the issue. For info, I have wider wheel/tire combo (305/30/R19 on rear and 265/35/R19 on front).

However I do have a really annoying clicking sound from both front and rear recently that for the life of me I cannot figure out what the heck is causing it - no obvious detritus on/in the tires, no indication of rubbing whatsoever on wheel well or body (have a few thousand miles on the tires without ever having this sound) - really weird. Only happens on tight radius corners e.g. parking garages etc. Was wondering if there is maybe something about the bead on the Potenzas that is causing this as it only occurs in the tires on the outside of the corner where compression is greatest - brain parked - will figure it out at some point I hope! Suggestions welcome? Sorry OP don't mean to hijack post!!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 03:41 PM   #7
Relak
Battle Buddy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryTheLabelGuy
Have the wheel bearings checked.
Wheel bearings shouldn't cause vibration should they? I was under the impression their symptom is noticeable noise
      04-05-2016, 08:13 AM   #8
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKitSS View Post
Wheel bearings shouldn't cause vibration should they? I was under the impression their symptom is noticeable noise
If they are bad enough, they can certainly cause shaking.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 08:12 PM   #9
brunovrod
Registered
Brazil
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Cabrio F83

The rear view mirror vibrates, the dashboard and windscreen bounces

I have an M4 Convertible and I've noticed vibrations that seem to affect the vehicle's chassis.

Has anyone discovered a solution for this?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 10:47 AM   #10
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

Try a road force balance (could be the tire has a hard spot) which regular balancing doesn't address, if you have spacers remove them and recheck. If wobble is gone you know the answer. I had Turner 12.5mm spacer and had a nasty shim @70mph, they replaced under warranty and new ones had less vibration but still had a shimmy. The spacer was not a firm fit on wheel, had some play.
I ordered 4 APEX 12mm spacers and no issues with vibrations.
https://www.apexraceparts.com/accessories/spacers.html
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 12:22 AM   #11
Hoppyumr
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

My F83 is as solid as I'd expect with the top up, and the only vibrations I feel on mine occur between 70 and 80 on the Highway. I was curious if the reduced weight on the front caused a toe-in/out situation that would shore up as vibration. Seems to me as a suspension related thing or alignment related.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 04:00 PM   #12
brunovrod
Registered
Brazil
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Cabrio F83

The vibrations are very strong and affect the entire chassis, especially when the roof is open. I've already checked everything in the car, they didn't find anything. My car is 100% original and never crashed. @Wanted_M did you put the spacers on because of the vibration?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2022, 12:58 PM   #13
Draccius
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

I'm suffering the same issue. Slight vibration with top up but insane with top down. Bought the vehicle used recently so can't comment on spacers. About to take it back to the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2022, 01:13 PM   #14
N44RP
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Are you talking about cowl shake?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2022, 06:56 PM   #15
Bettertomorrow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 F83 M4

My F83 had slight steering wheel vibration at around 40-45mph after putting Turner Flush Kit (12.5mm all around spacers). I took all wheels off, cleaned hubs with wired brush. Since then, it has been riding solid, no weird vibration at any speed.
15 BMW F83 M4, MHD Stage 2, CBC, xHP Stage 2, ADD W1 Catchcan, AA Single Mid, Eibach Pro, 12.5mm spacers, BMC drop-in with charcoal removed, other misc/cosmetics (Alpha 1 speakers, all exterior LED light bulbs, ambient light upgrade-center console/doors, Hardwired Garmin Dashcam)
15 BMW X3 x35i
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2022, 08:51 PM   #16
Fat Goose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F83 ZCP 6MT | F/A-18E

I experienced a "light" front end at speed (100+) with the top down and installed a light weight front lip, fixing the problem. No issues with the top up. I will saw this was very slight.

What you are experiencing is not normal.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 07:13 AM   #17
Bettertomorrow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 F83 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Goose View Post
I experienced a "light" front end at speed (100+) with the top down and installed a light weight front lip, fixing the problem. No issues with the top up. I will saw this was very slight.

What you are experiencing is not normal.
I mis-spoke on my post. I've not done 100+ with topdown so I shouldn't say solid at any speed.
15 BMW F83 M4, MHD Stage 2, CBC, xHP Stage 2, ADD W1 Catchcan, AA Single Mid, Eibach Pro, 12.5mm spacers, BMC drop-in with charcoal removed, other misc/cosmetics (Alpha 1 speakers, all exterior LED light bulbs, ambient light upgrade-center console/doors, Hardwired Garmin Dashcam)
15 BMW X3 x35i
Appreciate 0