BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

05-06-2020, 04:27 PM   #1
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Best DIY Ceramic coating for a complete amateur?

I would love to apply a coating to my car to maintain that freshly washed look - but I have little to no proper detailing experience. Is there a ceramic coating out there that is super easy to apply and nearly impossible to mess up?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 05:39 PM   #2
danchee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X7 40i

I used McKee's paint coating last year and it was a breeze to put on. They seem to have another version out this year called "Ceramic Coating" and to be honest I'm not sure what the difference are. The old version called "Paint Coating" still seems to be sold though. It was very easy to apply. Spray on, wait 30 seconds, buff off. Water still beads perfectly and power spraying water gets most of the dirt off. Foam up and light swipe cleans everything else off.
Appreciate 1
icegrill2078.00
      05-06-2020, 05:54 PM   #3
9M71
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 | 6MT

CSL is probably one of the simpliest and pretty much almost wipe on and wipe off.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 07:08 PM   #4
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by danchee View Post
I used McKee's paint coating last year and it was a breeze to put on. They seem to have another version out this year called "Ceramic Coating" and to be honest I'm not sure what the difference are. The old version called "Paint Coating" still seems to be sold though. It was very easy to apply. Spray on, wait 30 seconds, buff off. Water still beads perfectly and power spraying water gets most of the dirt off. Foam up and light swipe cleans everything else off.
I was also going to contribute about mckees. It's been a year and still beads 1/8" drops, very easy to apply also!
Appreciate 1
danchee136.00
      05-06-2020, 11:00 PM   #5
AtlantisF80
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 / 2008 328i

Cquartz
      05-07-2020, 08:49 AM   #6
jdgamble
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 CQM M3 - My family car

Watch some videos and buy any of the above. Also read some reviews on autogeek. They have a lot of options.

One note - prep is key in coating application. Is your paint in good shape? If it’s all swirled/scratched up, the coating will accentuate the scratches. Also, you need to make sure the paint is super clean, so you’ll need a prep wipe as well, like Carpro Eraser.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 09:10 AM   #7
Isj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9M4N71U View Post
CSL is probably one of the simpliest and pretty much almost wipe on and wipe off.
while CSL is easy to apply, it really needs proper prep work for it to work properly. The prep work itself may be too much for someone who's never decon or polished paint surfaces.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 10:27 AM   #8
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the advice guys. Yea I am looking for as little prep work as possible too. I can do a detailed wash and clay but I don't have a DA and wasn't planning to do a paint correction or anything. Paint is in good condition overall. Of course there are a few swirls but not huge spider webs or anything. I don't need the paint looking 100% flawless, I'm really just looking to capture that freshly washed look for longer periods of time.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 10:33 AM   #9
9M71
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 | 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Thanks for the advice guys. Yea I am looking for as little prep work as possible too. I can do a detailed wash and clay but I don't have a DA and wasn't planning to do a paint correction or anything. Paint is in good condition overall. Of course there are a few swirls but not huge spider webs or anything. I don't need the paint looking 100% flawless, I'm really just looking to capture that freshly washed look for longer periods of time.
Gotcha! In that case, ceramic washes/maintenance sprays may be able to help. Check out CarPro Hydro 2, its a wash + wax that will leave a layer of protection with sweet water beading characteristics and make the paint pop. Folks also use this to maintain a car that is already ceramic coated, but you can use it on one that isnt with almost equal results.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 12:42 PM   #10
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

The Mckees is very intriguing. Has excellent reviews online and the vids make it seem super easy to apply.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 02:29 PM   #11
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
I would love to apply a coating to my car to maintain that freshly washed look - but I have little to no proper detailing experience. Is there a ceramic coating out there that is super easy to apply and nearly impossible to mess up?
You may want to check out AMMO products, specifically Reflex coating. It's not a ceramic coating technically, but because of that it is supposed to be very easy to use and it is not almost permanent (i.e. super hard to get off) like your typical ceramic or glass coatings. I'm not getting paid by Larry (who creates this stuff himself), but I know a friend who swears by his products and he's not into detailing much.

Ideally, before applying ANY kind of paint protection, you need to prep the paint by decontaminating it (iron & tar spray removers, clay bar which usually jacks up the paint) and polish of because of the said damage that happens when you're mechanically removing gunk embedded on the paint.

Now, issue with some coatings that are on the market now is that once you put a layer or two on, it can be very difficult to take off as they essentially lock the paint because they're so hard. So, when you run into some issues, e.g. during application or later in the future etched bird shit, water spots, etc., you'll have to do the process of decontamination and possibly light polishing all over AGAIN. It's a bit of a slippery slope. And you cannot keep buffing the paint forever or else you'll have no paint no mo'.

Also, there's a bit of a misconception that ceramic/glass coatings do not need any kind of maintenance... you still gotta take care of it, by using drying aids, spray detailers or products meant for "refreshing" the coating. That way, you're adding incremental layers upon layers of extra protection on top of the "main" couple of layers of whatever paint protection product you've put on there in the first place.
      05-07-2020, 02:37 PM   #12
Daveneezy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

A good friend of mine is a Detailer and I've learned a ton from him. There's no doubt that ceramic coatings are the real deal. I have had 2 cars coated over the last few years and the cost was definitely worth it. But if you want something that you can do yourself, don't want to break the bank and it being worth it... then use C2v3 by gtechniq. I use this as a boost for my coatings, I apply it at least twice a year and it makes a huge difference. I recently leased a new tacoma and didn't want to spend the money coating it, so I used c2v3. I did a wash, clay, ipa wipe down, then hit it with C2v3 about a month ago.

This is the truck this morning:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 02:40 PM   #13
Daveneezy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

I used 1 microfiber to apply and 1 to buff off, did 1 panel at a time.

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 04:56 PM   #14
danchee
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The Mckees is very intriguing. Has excellent reviews online and the vids make it seem super easy to apply.
I got a response from McKee's about the differences. The "paint coating" MK37-260 is being phased out and replaced by the "ceramic coating" product MKCS-100. They say the new formulation is even easier to apply and lasts longer. I have had great experience buying from these guys.

My process took a day to do. Iron remover, wash, clay using N-914 as lube, coating prep wash, N-914 as drying lube, then move car into dark garage to cool the paint. Clean with N-914 and dry each panel as I apply the coating to avoid dusts on paint. I would say it took about 6 hours total. Then let it sit overnight and apply second coat the same way as the first. I only did 2 coats, and the spray bottle has enough left over to do at least 2 more cars with 2 coats. Very good deal for sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 05:56 PM   #15
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

I ordered the 260 formula and going to try it out. Planning to do an iron decontamination, wash, clay , then apply the coating.
Appreciate 1
danchee136.00
      05-10-2020, 08:33 PM   #16
Detailers Domain
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

probably the easiest go to ceramic coating to user with little to no experience would be Fictech One - 1 year ceramic coating -

1. make sure your paint is clean and as good as you like, meaning if you feel it needs swirl removal, remove them and prepare the paint.
2. spritz fictech one on the paint and buff off.
3. enjoy!

Fictech One

It will last up to 1 year with proper maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 09:48 PM   #17
henrylee
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveneezy View Post

wow great product!
      05-10-2020, 11:03 PM   #18
danchee
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailersDomain View Post
probably the easiest go to ceramic coating to user with little to no experience would be Fictech One - 1 year ceramic coating -

1. make sure your paint is clean and as good as you like, meaning if you feel it needs swirl removal, remove them and prepare the paint.
2. spritz fictech one on the paint and buff off.
3. enjoy!

Fictech One

It will last up to 1 year with proper maintenance.
Do you spray it on while car is wet or after drying? The instructions weren't too clear about it.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 04:00 PM   #19
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:

Quote:
A good friend of mine is a Detailer and I've learned a ton from him. There's no doubt that ceramic coatings are the real deal. I have had 2 cars coated over the last few years and the cost was definitely worth it. But if you want something that you can do yourself, don't want to break the bank and it being worth it... then use C2v3 by gtechniq. I use this as a boost for my coatings, I apply it at least twice a year and it makes a huge difference. I recently leased a new tacoma and didn't want to spend the money coating it, so I used c2v3. I did a wash, clay, ipa wipe down, then hit it with C2v3 about a month ago.

This is the truck this morning:
+1

Used this on my BSM m4 with no ceramic coat and the paint looks cleaner for longer no question. Also easier to dry after a quick wash.

Don't use too much though because it can streak.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 09:44 AM   #20
NCG80M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 M5 Comp

Garage List
  [5.00]
2019 BMW M5 Competi ...  [9.65]
I used Proje' Car Care and it was my first time coating any car. It came out well for me.

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 09:40 PM   #21
Nativetexan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Curious if this method is okay to do on a car that has a lot of PPF & non PPF'd panels are in great shape. I have a 2018, so pretty new car.

1. Wash
2. Clay with light bar
3. Wash
4. Ceramic wax x 2
5. Spray wax

Am I really missing any steps in between 2 & 3 that are "mandatory"?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 10:15 PM   #22
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC MBB - C-17 Globemaster

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativetexan View Post
Curious if this method is okay to do on a car that has a lot of PPF & non PPF'd panels are in great shape. I have a 2018, so pretty new car.

1. Wash
2. Clay with light bar
3. Wash
4. Ceramic wax x 2
5. Spray wax

Am I really missing any steps in between 2 & 3 that are "mandatory"?

no but you could possibly decontaminate the iron and other things with another substrate, claybar gets most but you need another chemical to remove harden chemicals.
Appreciate 0