Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

04-13-2020, 04:23 PM   #23
Franco3000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgamble View Post
Get urself a DA polisher and some good polish. Done. It’s like a $250ish investment with some pads and you can clean up your own paint.

I recommend a Griots G9 polisher if you go that route.
Apologies for reviving an old Thread.

I used the Griot G9 Polisher (never used a motorized polisher before) on my other vehicles this past weekend, and the results were good, but not spectacular. The Polisher vibrates way too much, not a pleasant job.

I would like to try it on my M3 as I do have some bird dropping etching (bird poo baked in the sun for a few hours ) on my CF roof, but I am a bit chicken =-)
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 05:50 PM   #24
arucano
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Grand Coupe CP

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 GC  [10.00]
It depends on how deep the etching is on the CF roof. I had some on mine that were pretty bad. I used some 2000 wet sanding to get rid of the etching and then "polished out" the sanding marks with a rubbing compound followed by a polishing compound.
I used the Maguire's micro fiber pads with the M300 and M302 (from what I remember) in one case. The other time i used the ultimate compound and ultimate polish with foam pads. Just make sure to feather out from the etching. Other vendors and product will work as well but that is what I used. good luck
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 03:47 PM   #25
Franco3000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by arucano View Post
It depends on how deep the etching is on the CF roof. I had some on mine that were pretty bad. I used some 2000 wet sanding to get rid of the etching and then "polished out" the sanding marks with a rubbing compound followed by a polishing compound.
I used the Maguire's micro fiber pads with the M300 and M302 (from what I remember) in one case. The other time i used the ultimate compound and ultimate polish with foam pads. Just make sure to feather out from the etching. Other vendors and product will work as well but that is what I used. good luck

Thanks. Just went ahead and used my Griot's G9 Polisher with Griot's complete compound and it took the etching right off of the CF roof, amazing. Went from liking the G9, to really loving it.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 04:39 PM   #26
flexspec
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M 4 FUN View Post
I haven't seen any marks from insects on my film. It's hydrophobic too so nothing really sticks to it. I also use some detailer on it now and then.
This man/woman speaks the truth. Wrap it and apply a ceramic coat.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 04:38 PM   #27
M3Meh
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw m3 f80

I have no ceramic coating or ppf. I apply collinite 845 wax every 4-6 months and wash every 2-3 weeks. The wax is so good that bird droppings don't stick to the paint. After every wash I apply poorboys spray and gloss or demon shine spray when drying the car with a towl. They key is to wash your car often and wax it. Dirt and bird droppings just slide off.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 06:24 AM   #28
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by destriero View Post
You will be amazed at the level of protection with a ceramic coating. I wasn’t a believer until I saw thing like bird shit come right off and leave no trace.
Bird poop etches even the best ceramic coating. If it sits for a couple of hrs you will etch....not as bad as paint but it will etch
Appreciate 0