Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

04-03-2015, 06:38 AM   #23
Cameronc08
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.1 Turbo/F82 M4/'06 Saleen

I can tell you that I made the switch, but for different reasons. My 997.1 TT has 20k in mods and is a straight beast. You realize when switching back to BMW what people mean when they say you can really feel the road and the turns in a 911, you forget when you drive it all the time! At least I did as it was my DD. Even at 27 years old, the luster of being able to say you drive a 911 kind of loses its appeal. There's more to life than Porsche, like having a comfortable commuter. And don't get me wrong I absolutely love my turbo, which I'm now throwing on the FS market tomorrow, but driving a car that expensive with no warranty is nerve wracking. Sure the mezger block is virtually bullet proof. But with the spun camshaft issue people are having, coolant fittings breaking (though I had mine pinned), and the countless threads on 6speed of people having freak accidents, I'm not ready to drop 40-50k on a crate mezger motor. So I made the difficult decision to transition to a fully loaded sahkir Orange m4 last week. I'm still in the break in period, but I can tell you I'm happy. The peace of mind of having the warranty is priceless. The DCT is so nice in traffic and the car is very snappy. While not nearly the torque beast the turbo is, the m4 holds its own merit with much better technology and is plenty for the streets. One thing that's taking some getting used to for me is the size. I feel like I'm driving a tank. It's not that the car is big, it's moreso that my turbo felt like driving go kart on the freeway. I miss that for sure. The road hugging turns it took are missed as well, but you replace them with a much more supple ride. If you have kids, I'd say it's a no brainer. You will for sure miss the turbo, but you replace it with some things only the m4 can offer. But i am also a one week owner so take what I say very lightly! I told myself my next porsche will be a 991 gt3!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Funny, I was going to start a new thread and saw one exists already.

For those who have driven both, how does the F80 compare to the 997.1 TT?

More background info below...

I own a bone stock, high mileage 997TT. It's an '07 coupe with 6MT, sport chrono, etc. I've had it for 2.5 years now (not driven in winter).

I got a good deal on it and I felt it was going to be perfect since I have two young boys and I could commute with it (I do school drop offs and pickups). It works ok as a commuter for me but the adaptive seats do make it hard for the kids to see and it's just not as practical as I need it to be. I sold a 987S that I loved because I never used it. The TT gets some use but not nearly enough as some of their activities require more room than that car has. Also, in the winter time, I don't get to use it all. Kids wouldn't fit back there with all their snow gear anyway.

I'm considering selling it this or next year and getting a '17 M3 in the spring of 2017 through ED. I've done ED twice - in '03 on one of the first Imola ZHP's, and in '11 on an M-sport, RWD, MT 328iT. Those 3er's always made me happy. Sure, they were short on power, but they were great DDs, with tons of practicality.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 06:44 AM   #24
Cameronc08
First Lieutenant
Rep

Also, you say you're turbo is stock..mine had a Kline exhaust with custom tips and fabsoeed boost recirculation valves..the blowoff on that thing is just insane when WOT and shifting. Dont expect that turbo spool in the m4. You can hear the whine, but it's more cute than anything compared to the air rushing into the 997 that you hear whistling. However, going from a flat 6 to an i6, my personal opinion is the exhaust on the m4 sounds perfectly fine. Don't get caught up in the hype. Exhaust note is nice, probably much nicer than your stock 997. Induction is a different story. Not sure if that matters to you.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2015, 03:18 PM   #25
theinfamousdrew
I'm The Captain Now
Rep
Drives: X5M/X7

Garage List
Glad I found this.
I've been debating on selling my 2007 997TT with about 650HP at the crank to buy a new M4.
I've owned it for a year now. Unfortunately I get bored quickly.
This was my second 911 Turbo and was my "unicorn". It was everything I wanted.

The M4 has really caught my eye. I test drove one the other day and like it.

At this point it's still up in the air as to if I'll actually go through with it.

Turn on. Tune in. Drop out.
IG: @InfamousCarGuy

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 06:03 AM   #26
Cameronc08
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinfamousdrew View Post
Glad I found this.
I've been debating on selling my 2007 997TT with about 650HP at the crank to buy a new M4.
I've owned it for a year now. Unfortunately I get bored quickly.
This was my second 911 Turbo and was my "unicorn". It was everything I wanted.

The M4 has really caught my eye. I test drove one the other day and like it.

At this point it's still up in the air as to if I'll actually go through with it.
Yup. I remember following your threads on rennlist/6speed while you were searching around the same time I got mine. I'm the same as far as getting bored. The two biggest reasons I switched were I wanted to go back to DCT (LA traffic really sucks) and warranty! I put so much money into my turbo in one year that I basically gave it away when I sold it. But I couldn't be happier! The power is obviously not quite there, but you get so many more creature comforts that the bit of power loss is neglected 75% of the time. Plus you can easily put a tune and down pipes on the M to bring it right up with a stock 997tt. I say go for it. Whatever you choose to do, it's a pretty good dilemma to have .
      09-08-2015, 06:57 AM   #27
theinfamousdrew
I'm The Captain Now
Rep
Drives: X5M/X7

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameronc08 View Post
Yup. I remember following your threads on rennlist/6speed while you were searching around the same time I got mine. I'm the same as far as getting bored. The two biggest reasons I switched were I wanted to go back to DCT (LA traffic really sucks) and warranty! I put so much money into my turbo in one year that I basically gave it away when I sold it. But I couldn't be happier! The power is obviously not quite there, but you get so many more creature comforts that the bit of power loss is neglected 75% of the time. Plus you can easily put a tune and down pipes on the M to bring it right up with a stock 997tt. I say go for it. Whatever you choose to do, it's a pretty good dilemma to have .
I'm also thinking of spending a bit more and getting into a GT3.
Oh decisions decisions....

Turn on. Tune in. Drop out.
IG: @InfamousCarGuy

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 07:49 AM   #28
Cameronc08
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinfamousdrew View Post
I'm also thinking of spending a bit more and getting into a GT3.
Oh decisions decisions....
Are we talking 991 or 997.2?? Because a 991 GT3 is tits. Definately on my radar for potential next car. I remember when you were debating between a 996 and a 997 haha. Once the bug bites....
      09-09-2015, 07:01 PM   #29
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Member 3er has done this move.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 04:37 PM   #30
Donger Kim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY16 M3

I bought an M3 because I couldn't afford a Porsche. I would also be scared shitless out of warranty.

I recently took delivery of my M3 a couple of weeks ago and what's funny is I think the M is sortve the opposite of what I really wanted in a car.

1-the car was a little too big for me, I thought I was signing up for a 3 series type of car but signed up for an older 5 series size of a car. I am not too familiar with recent BMWs. I'm sure I'll get use to it.

2-I never really cared for all the creature comforts. if I had a choice I wouldn't check any of the boxes.

3-I can't get over on how high I'm sitting in the car. this bothered me the most tbh. I for some reason pictured myself driving in a sports car style seating position.

All these wouldn't be a problem in a Porsche.

other than that I love everything about the car. I usually don't have passengers in my car but really appreciate a sedan. One day hopefully I'll have enough pennies for a Porsche
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2015, 04:44 PM   #31
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donger Kim View Post
I bought an M3 because I couldn't afford a Porsche. I would also be scared shitless out of warranty.

I recently took delivery of my M3 a couple of weeks ago and what's funny is I think the M is sortve the opposite of what I really wanted in a car.

1-the car was a little too big for me, I thought I was signing up for a 3 series type of car but signed up for an older 5 series size of a car. I am not too familiar with recent BMWs. I'm sure I'll get use to it.

2-I never really cared for all the creature comforts. if I had a choice I wouldn't check any of the boxes.

3-I can't get over on how high I'm sitting in the car. this bothered me the most tbh. I for some reason pictured myself driving in a sports car style seating position.

All these wouldn't be a problem in a Porsche.

other than that I love everything about the car. I usually don't have passengers in my car but really appreciate a sedan. One day hopefully I'll have enough pennies for a Porsche
You know that you can lower the seat, don't you??? In fact, when it is all the way down, it is way too low for my liking.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 06:37 PM   #32
Donger Kim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY16 M3

it is at the lowest settings. it was just not what I was expecting. it's just something that's found in impractical sports cars. R8, Porsche, s2000. it's been awhile since I've been in a sports car and that was one thing I've always vividly remembered about it
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2015, 07:25 PM   #33
basscadet
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3

I can't count the times that I have almost pulled the trigger on a 997.1 Turbo 6-speed.

The prices of those cars are just not aligned with the performance they provide (stock). An 8-year old example still commands $75,000 which is just divorced from reality where the same amount of money gets you into cars that are much faster and more fun (GT-R, ZR-1).

There are just too many creature-comfort concessions made (no bluetooth, outdated NAV, etc) for the premium you pay. Porsches have become a LOT quicker in the last 3-4 years but the prices are just so absurd I can't justify the cost. $100k for a Carrera S? I'm sorry, but no.
Appreciate 2
      09-12-2015, 07:48 PM   #34
gtr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 CTR

Quote:
I told myself my next porsche will be a 991 gt3!
Why not the Cayman GT4? I traded my F80 for one and it's a mid engine GT3 with a regular motor for 45k cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 08:36 PM   #35
MPerformance211
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 981 Boxster S; 3 pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by basscadet View Post
I can't count the times that I have almost pulled the trigger on a 997.1 Turbo 6-speed.

The prices of those cars are just not aligned with the performance they provide (stock). An 8-year old example still commands $75,000 which is just divorced from reality where the same amount of money gets you into cars that are much faster and more fun (GT-R, ZR-1).

There are just too many creature-comfort concessions made (no bluetooth, outdated NAV, etc) for the premium you pay. Porsches have become a LOT quicker in the last 3-4 years but the prices are just so absurd I can't justify the cost. $100k for a Carrera S? I'm sorry, but no.
In before EfEightyM3 tells you how wrong you are and that a 997 turbo should still command close to its $140K MSRP and $75K is a steal

Last edited by MPerformance211; 09-12-2015 at 08:46 PM..
Appreciate 2
      09-13-2015, 02:48 AM   #36
Cameronc08
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
You know that you can lower the seat, don't you??? In fact, when it is all the way down, it is way too low for my liking.

The seats DO sit way too high even at the lowest setting. Coming from a 911 where you feel like you are inches from the pavement, the M seats make it feel like you're in a tank. Just takes time to get used to.
      09-13-2015, 02:52 AM   #37
Cameronc08
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I just sold my 997.1tt 6speed with over 20k in mods at 45k miles for less than 70k. It's not at all what I wanted and I lost my ass on it with one year of ownership, but there are good deals out there. People can ask for whatever price they want, doesn't mean the car is going to sell. I can tell you now would be the time to buy one. The 6speed of the mezger are about to start climbing I can guarantee it. I can't comment on the fun factor as that is all relative to the person driving, but the creature comforts I agree with 100% and was one of the factors in selling. I couldn't justify spending even more money just to hook up my iPod after all the other sh** I put into the car. Mods are heavily there for the mezger but it comes at a price.
      09-17-2015, 12:14 PM   #38
sshu
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 997tt

Quote:

I went through the same buying process. Tested a M4, M6, and 997tt and eventually I picked up a CPO 997tt. I also considered a GTR and C6 ZR1. It's more of an emotional choice than rational one. The rational choice is the M4 with full warranty, fairly close in terms of performance, utility and all the modern tech you could want. The 997tt simply feels special to me and gives me a smile every time I pass by it in the garage or drive it. When it comes down to it, which car makes you happier?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 02:09 PM   #39
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

If I weren't driving 20k plus miles a year, I would be in a 997tt as a daily. I just love the looks and driving dynamics, even if it's antiquated compared to the f80. The maintenance costs are a wash bc the depreciation of my f80 is greater than the depreciation and maintenance of the 997tt

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 03:21 PM   #40
MPerformance211
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 981 Boxster S; 3 pedals

Quote:
I just sold my 997.1tt 6speed with over 20k in mods at 45k miles for less than 70k. It's not at all what I wanted and I lost my ass on it with one year of ownership, but there are good deals out there. People can ask for whatever price they want, doesn't mean the car is going to sell. I can tell you now would be the time to buy one. The 6speed of the mezger are about to start climbing I can guarantee it. I can't comment on the fun factor as that is all relative to the person driving, but the creature comforts I agree with 100% and was one of the factors in selling. I couldn't justify spending even more money just to hook up my iPod after all the other sh** I put into the car. Mods are heavily there for the mezger but it comes at a price.
I concur 100% on your comment about creature comforts. I had an '07 GT silver 997TT that I bought used in 2011 for $70K with 23k miles. Kept it for nine months and sold it for $68.5K with 29k miles. It was indeed fun but would never in a million years try to DD a car like that. I didn't have the stomach to see $70K tied up in a car that I drove only on weekends.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 02:31 PM   #41
hockey21
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16SSM3.Prev ymbM,e46m3,e39 M5

let me know if you get rid of 997- i'll buy it.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 02:33 PM   #42
hockey21
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16SSM3.Prev ymbM,e46m3,e39 M5

what's your price range? why not go for 993 c4s.. gorgeous and can get them for around 95 if you negotiate and find a lightly used one
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 09:04 AM   #43
mbiondo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera 4S (997.2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey21 View Post
let me know if you get rid of 997- i'll buy it.
it's hard to part with it, for all the reasons stated here. Really, I can't complain. But, for also the same reasons stated here, I have a strong appreciation for M cars and "new, with warranty" is highly appealing. And, like I said, the 991 is just not my cup of tea-- not coming from a 997, that is.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2015, 11:22 PM   #44
A418t81
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Ever changing fleet

Garage List
2013 335is  [0.00]
I have both and love them both for different reasons. My 997TT is an absolute monster, and holds the 60-130 acceleration record for the 997 platform It does have a bit of an old school character compared to my F80, but I love that.