ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

08-12-2015, 03:55 PM   #89
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_B View Post
Yes, it comes on with the car automatically. Either with your last settings if you had it on or with the lowest fan setting if you didn't. Perfectly normal.

You might inquire with people that know about coding whether you can turn it off if it bothers you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TENPIN View Post
I wonder if they changed this for the 2016s, because my A/C does not start automatically. It come on with whatever setting it was on when I turned the car off.
As i recall, this was discussed quite a bit last year when these first launched.

I believe it may be country specific coding. My car (in canadia) does not do this. I think that is true of other canadian cars and euro cars. Some (all? most?) american cars do because, lets face it, as a nation it would not exist as it does today without air conditioning.......

(well, only half in jest. maybe just a I mean, i've been to Houston in the summer....and Phoenix....and Atlanta....and Florida....and take away the a/c and there would be much less of a 'sun belt' these days....)

But believe it can be coded off (as was also discussed last year)
      08-12-2015, 05:37 PM   #90
yaymitch
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS & 2022 RSQ8

I had mine coded off as it was very annoying.
      08-12-2015, 06:28 PM   #91
Vigilant
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cautiously fast

Normal for 2015 F8x...not sure about 2016. Some folks as above have coded theirs to off on initial start up.

I welcome the blast of air in this awful Florida heat and humidity...can't wait for Fall...oh wait, we don't have that season...can't wait for winter...in December.

2022 BSM G80 Comp X-drive
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2015, 06:34 PM   #92
rr006rbc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M440i GC

I've always hated that factory logic in certain BMW cars. I hate it even more in my F80. No one wants a blast of heat in the eyeballs when it's 100 degrees out. I like to drive around w/ the windows down first to vent out the air and THEN turn the air on to cool the interior of the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 05:55 AM   #93
Matt_B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr006rbc View Post
I've always hated that factory logic in certain BMW cars. I hate it even more in my F80. No one wants a blast of heat in the eyeballs when it's 100 degrees out. I like to drive around w/ the windows down first to vent out the air and THEN turn the air on to cool the interior of the car.
In automatic mode the car won't blow hard until it's cool.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 10:41 AM   #94
rr006rbc
Colonel
Rep

A/C Compressor Operating without REQUESTING?

I understand that the A/C blower motor comes on during ignition starts. But now my car is having a different problem. It's been on avg about 90 degrees out so I expect the vents to be blasting me in the face with hot air as soon as I start the car. Which is fine because I simply just turn off the air as soon as I get situated in the car. But lately, the air coming out is ICE cold after about 5 seconds with the A/C button OFF.

It used to simply turn on my blower motor and the A/C button would NOT be illuminated AND the compressor would surely be off. It's very easy to tell when the compressor is on and working due to the exhaust note changing, RPM fluctuating and throttle response becoming poorer.

But NOW, my blower motor comes on and my compressor is on producing cold air when the A/C button is OFF. And the only way I can get my compressor to stop working with the blower motor continuing is to press the A/C button multiple times to get it to turn off.

Is anyone else having this issue?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 11:14 AM   #95
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

My understanding was that the car could either do nothing, turn on just the blower, or turn on both the blower and compressor as it sees fit.
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2015, 11:30 AM   #96
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: My wife and kids insane.

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
My understanding was also that the car has a set humidity level that it determines is "proper" and that if the interior relative humidity exceeds that, the compressor will automatically turn on, regardless of whether the a/c button is selected or not.

You WILL comply to the German way of doing things.......

My European Delivery Thread
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2015, 11:38 AM   #97
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

I haven't had the same issue, but I've noticed when I turn the AC button off, there seems to be a lag time until when the warmer, non-conditioned air blows. In other words, I'll push the AC button off, and it still feels like the AC button's on for a few mins. Same thing happens if I start the car, and the AC compressor was on right before I turned the car off.

Have you tried just waiting a few mins (maybe like 5 or more) and not pushing the AC button multiple times, to see if the compressor will go off by itself?

Either way, I'm not sure why the car does this, but it's what I've observed... I've noticed this (the AC compressor lag) to some degree in other cars as well. I'd have thought BMW would have pre-spooled the AC compressor turbos to be instant on/off
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2015, 12:03 PM   #98
rr006rbc
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluex View Post
My understanding was also that the car has a set humidity level that it determines is "proper" and that if the interior relative humidity exceeds that, the compressor will automatically turn on, regardless of whether the a/c button is selected or not.

You WILL comply to the German way of doing things.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
My understanding was that the car could either do nothing, turn on just the blower, or turn on both the blower and compressor as it sees fit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
I haven't had the same issue, but I've noticed when I turn the AC button off, there seems to be a lag time until when the warmer, non-conditioned air blows. In other words, I'll push the AC button off, and it still feels like the AC button's on for a few mins. Same thing happens if I start the car, and the AC compressor was on right before I turned the car off.

Have you tried just waiting a few mins (maybe like 5 or more) and not pushing the AC button multiple times, to see if the compressor will go off by itself?

Either way, I'm not sure why the car does this, but it's what I've observed... I've noticed this (the AC compressor lag) to some degree in other cars as well. I'd have thought BMW would have pre-spooled the AC compressor turbos to be instant on/off
Damn, I guess I'll just have to deal with it. I just hate how the car feels and reacts when the A/C is on; it feels like I'm towing a trailer and the heatsoak is even more prominent. When it's 90 degrees out I would rather drop all the windows and sweat my balls off than turn the A/C on. Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 12:23 PM   #99
ginginha
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Faity

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr006rbc View Post
I understand that the A/C blower motor comes on during ignition starts. But now my car is having a different problem. It's been on avg about 90 degrees out so I expect the vents to be blasting me in the face with hot air as soon as I start the car. Which is fine because I simply just turn off the air as soon as I get situated in the car. But lately, the air coming out is ICE cold after about 5 seconds with the A/C button OFF.

It used to simply turn on my blower motor and the A/C button would NOT be illuminated AND the compressor would surely be off. It's very easy to tell when the compressor is on and working due to the exhaust note changing, RPM fluctuating and throttle response becoming poorer.

But NOW, my blower motor comes on and my compressor is on producing cold air when the A/C button is OFF. And the only way I can get my compressor to stop working with the blower motor continuing is to press the A/C button multiple times to get it to turn off.

Is anyone else having this issue?
My 335 does this too and I thought I was going crazy for awhile. I hate it. If it's off, it should be off. Conversely, when the AC is actually off and the fan is on, often times it will blow out air hotter than the ambient temperature outside. The climate system in the car is frustrating. I live in a place where we don't often need AC or the heater, so I prefer to drive with the windows down. Seems like I'm always messing with it. I'm hoping it's different in the '16 M3.
2016 F80 ED 9/10/15 3:20 - BSM, SS, DCT, M Adaptive, Silver 437M
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2015, 12:27 PM   #100
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr006rbc
Damn, I guess I'll just have to deal with it. I just hate how the car feels and reacts when the A/C is on; it feels like I'm towing a trailer and the heatsoak is even more prominent. When it's 90 degrees out I would rather drop all the windows and sweat my balls off than turn the A/C on. Thanks guys!
Is it really that noticeable? I have never driven with a/c off.

Wouldn't rolling down the windows increase drag (and make a lot of noise)?
      08-20-2015, 12:56 PM   #101
rr006rbc
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Is it really that noticeable? I have never driven with a/c off.

Wouldn't rolling down the windows increase drag (and make a lot of noise)?
Yeah I'm super sensitive to how all of my cars are and very aware of everything going on w/ them.

I'm sure there is more drag at 80MPH on the highway than with the A/C on and windows up but at least the engine doesn't feel less powerful and feel so hindered.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 01:16 PM   #102
mrduder
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

yeah the AC has a mind of its own on this car. it's super annoying. I'll have the AC completely off and like 5 minutes later it just a starts blowing cold air even though the button is still off. and no, auto isn't on either. the dual climate control is a disaster as well. my wife and I were driving to Vegas a few weeks ago and I had mine on super cold and she got cold so she turned her temp up on her side. 70.... 80.... still freezing cold air coming out of her side. something was really poorly designed with this cars AC unit.
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2015, 01:19 PM   #103
rr006rbc
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrduder View Post
yeah the AC has a mind of its own on this car. it's super annoying. I'll have the AC completely off and like 5 minutes later it just a starts blowing cold air even though the button is still off. and no, auto isn't on either. the dual climate control is a disaster as well. my wife and I were driving to Vegas a few weeks ago and I had mine on super cold and she got cold so she turned her temp up on her side. 70.... 80.... still freezing cold air coming out of her side. something was really poorly designed with this cars AC unit.
Yeah, I never liked the IHKA operation and logic EVER on any of the BMW cars. I wonder why they tried to engineer them to the point where it's almost like they're trying to read the mind of the inhabitant of the vehicle. Oh well. Just gotta live with it..
Appreciate 0