Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

10-18-2018, 09:05 PM   #1
meteorain
Rep
Drives: -

This was probably an M-performance school car wasn't it? 2015 M3 at BMW dealership

I found this 2015 M3 at my local dealership:
https://www.crownbmw.com/used/BMW/20...db4dbc81d9.htm

And kind of I'm going off information I found on this thread: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1403326

"2. Used car has around 5-7K on the odo.
3. Used car's CarFax states a leased car, and then shows the car was sold at a dealer auction and "Listed as a manufacturer vehicle" around the 5-7K mark.
4. DMV registration was in Woodcliff Lake, NJ. This is where BMW NA is located"

*The m3 I found was also registered as a Corporate fleet vehicle also in Woodcliff Lake, NJ.

*I asked the two salesmen about it - they both told me it leased by a BMW executive, that it wasn't a M driving school car and that all M driving school cars were crushed...similar to the information found in the previous thread.

I can't shake the feeling that they could be lying..It seems like a decent car, but it'd be nice to know if it was an M driving school car after all incase I decide to sell later on and need to explain the story to them.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by meteorain; 10-18-2018 at 10:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 07:03 AM   #2
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

It doesnt have carbon ceramics so doubt it was an M school car
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2018, 07:26 AM   #3
GitToDeChoppah
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Curious why it wouldn't be CPO though... Also, the ad says 35k miles, not 5-7k
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2018, 07:42 AM   #4
Aubie4Pres
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 SO/CS/CCB

M driving school cars are not crushed. My local dealer (United BMW in Atlanta) gets most of them. A couple of years ago I was interested in an M4 and they let me know it was driving school car. Your dealer is lying, personally I would find someone else to work with.

Also, they wouldn't CPO the driving school cars but would exec cars.
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2018, 09:51 AM   #5
IDBGOD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

It's not a performance center car, just confirmed with the VIN. If that is the correct VIN. 1 owner.

No warranty left. Confirmed mileage last service, 34k and some change. For the 2015 first link you posted. June 2014 in service date.
Appreciate 2
minn1914034.50
      10-19-2018, 09:53 AM   #6
maniz
Assistant TO the Regional Manager
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Coupe

"6 speed manual" and the car is a DCT. Always annoys the crap out of me...

OP, mileage is too high for an M-school car.

Der stärkste buchstabe der welt
Appreciate 3
minn1914034.50
doug_9992542.50
      10-19-2018, 04:53 PM   #7
meteorain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDBGOD View Post
It's not a performance center car, just confirmed with the VIN. If that is the correct VIN. 1 owner.

No warranty left. Confirmed mileage last service, 34k and some change. For the 2015 first link you posted. June 2014 in service date.
How can you tell by looking at the VIN?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 04:56 PM   #8
peeej
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former E92 owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubie4Pres View Post
M driving school cars are not crushed. My local dealer (United BMW in Atlanta) gets most of them. A couple of years ago I was interested in an M4 and they let me know it was driving school car. Your dealer is lying, personally I would find someone else to work with.

Also, they wouldn't CPO the driving school cars but would exec cars.
straight up, he said your dealer is lying
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 04:56 PM   #9
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

the woodcliff lake people drive all the new shit
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 04:59 PM   #10
meteorain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GitToDeChoppah View Post
Curious why it wouldn't be CPO though... Also, the ad says 35k miles, not 5-7k
That was a quote from that other forum thread stating that M performance cars would fall into the criteria of having 5-7k miles.

The ad says it has 35k miles, but the carfax said the original owner corporate-fleet leased it from 0-3,500~ miles...pretty near that 5-7k miles criteria.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 05:01 PM   #11
meteorain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeej View Post
straight up, he said your dealer is lying
Yea I thought that was pretty funny too.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 01:25 PM   #12
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

I've been to PCD many many times and their m3's usually have black 437s, dark interior and CCB. This car has neither... I would not assume it's a performance center car.
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2018, 06:38 PM   #13
meteorain
Rep

Ok, so good chance this probably wasn't an M performance driving car based on what everyone is saying here.

I also asked the sales manager if it was today(3rd person at the dealership) - He said he had asked his area manager if was(from my last inquiry into this) and that it wasn't because it wasn't from Spartanburg, SC. I told him my suspicions about the car being a PCD car was that it was from Woodcliff Lake, NJ and he didn't really seem to know too much about that...I guess I don't either in all honesty :/. Anyways, I didn't really feel like probing too much further because at this point I was pretty sure it wasn't a PCD car based on the specs of it/what everyone is saying here.. and a part of me really just wanted to say fuck it and just buy the car too.

Anyways I took it in for a PPI at this Independent BMW shop/dealership near me and they found $1459 worth of bumper/undercarriage damage to the car(M badge on kidney grill had pieces missing too). It looks like some pretty bad scuffing...more than just normal wear and tear. Oil cooler was dented too by some concrete, but not leaking. Mechanically it was pretty sound. Hmm I thought used cars at the BMW dealership were supposed to be in better condition than that...maybe it's just the CPOs.

Upon leaving the shop, a sales guy had noticed my car and pointed out that there were some major paint swirls on the car too(rear left fender)...possibly from a bad buffing job. The paint was also "blurry/uneven" on the back right rear door as well. Originally, I couldn't really see it and just chalked it up to a dirty black car needing a car wash, but thank goodness he did... Although, I thought a standard PPI was supposed to check for external cosmetic issues as well. They don't, despite the front desk girl saying it was pretty in-depth/comprehensive when I asked it they checked for chips/scratches/if I can watch the mechanic do the PPI... Well I guess that's what you get for a $100 PPI...

Anyways, I took it back to the dealer expecting that they'd fix it up, but the sales manager I was dealing with seemed annoyed/unwilling to fix it/drop the price at all. I could deal with some dings/scratches on a used car - but heavy swirls, blurry repaints and heavy scuffing on the bottom quoted on a PPI that they agreed to? I don't think it's too unreasonable to expect them to take care of it/drop the price, but IDK. Oh well..I'm curious on what they'll say with the follow up call.

Last edited by meteorain; 10-22-2018 at 06:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 08:22 PM   #14
peeej
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former E92 owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteorain View Post
Ok, so good chance this probably wasn't an M performance driving car based on what everyone is saying here.

I also asked the sales manager if it was today(3rd person at the dealership) - He said he had asked his area manager if was(from my last inquiry into this) and that it wasn't because it wasn't from Spartanburg, SC. I told him my suspicions about the car being a PCD car was that it was from Woodcliff Lake, NJ and he didn't really seem to know too much about that...I guess I don't either in all honesty :/. Anyways, I didn't really feel like probing too much further because at this point I was pretty sure it wasn't a PCD car based on the specs of it/what everyone is saying here.. and a part of me really just wanted to say fuck it and just buy the car too.

Anyways I took it in for a PPI at this Independent BMW shop/dealership near me and they found $1459 worth of bumper/undercarriage damage to the car(M badge on kidney grill had pieces missing too). It looks like some pretty bad scuffing...more than just normal wear and tear. Oil cooler was dented too by some concrete, but not leaking. Mechanically it was pretty sound. Hmm I thought used cars at the BMW dealership were supposed to be in better condition than that...maybe it's just the CPOs.

Upon leaving the shop, a sales guy had noticed my car and pointed out that there were some major paint swirls on the car too(rear left fender)...possibly from a bad buffing job. The paint was also "blurry/uneven" on the back right rear door as well. Originally, I couldn't really see it and just chalked it up to a dirty black car needing a car wash, but thank goodness he did... Although, I thought a standard PPI was supposed to check for external cosmetic issues as well. They don't, despite the front desk girl saying it was pretty in-depth/comprehensive when I asked it they checked for chips/scratches/if I can watch the mechanic do the PPI... Well I guess that's what you get for a $100 PPI...

Anyways, I took it back to the dealer expecting that they'd fix it up, but the sales manager I was dealing with seemed annoyed/unwilling to fix it/drop the price at all. I could deal with some dings/scratches on a used car - but heavy swirls, blurry repaints and heavy scuffing on the bottom quoted on a PPI that they agreed to? I don't think it's too unreasonable to expect them to take care of it/drop the price, but IDK. Oh well..I'm curious on what they'll say with the follow up call.
based on this, op i'd have walked.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 08:39 PM   #15
meteorain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeej View Post
based on this, op i'd have walked.
Yea don't worry I'm long gone. I think it would have been a very decent price on it though if it weren't for the damage and poor paint job. 44.5k for 35k~ miles... local too. Oh well, back to the hunt
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 09:47 PM   #16
marvinp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M3, '09 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
It doesnt have carbon ceramics so doubt it was an M school car
I went to the M Car Control in SF and those cars didn't have CCBs. So it's not always the case.
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2018, 01:49 PM   #17
IDBGOD
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
How can you tell by looking at the VIN?
I have access to the DCS which is BMW NA's database.

Seems like you passed. Best of luck on your search for the next one.
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2018, 07:34 PM   #18
meteorain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDBGOD View Post
I have access to the DCS which is BMW NA's database.

Seems like you passed. Best of luck on your search for the next one.
Holy crap that's awesome thanks for that.

Yea, I might still go with this one depending on if they decide to fix the issue with the paint swirls on the car. If not, thanks for the well wishes.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 09:39 PM   #19
Ibiza
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 G83 comp & 2024 X5 M60

FYI the BMW executive cars are usually for 6 months and then turned in (information 1st hand from a BMW NA employee).
      10-30-2018, 09:32 AM   #20
meteorain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibiza View Post
FYI the BMW executive cars are usually for 6 months and then turned in (information 1st hand from a BMW NA employee).
What do they do with the Executive cars? Personal cars for the "executive" to and from work? Personal cars for the employees to drive around? Test drive cars for the customers? All of the above?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 10:17 AM   #21
IDBGOD
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
What do they do with the Executive cars? Personal cars for the "executive" to and from work? Personal cars for the employees to drive around? Test drive cars for the customers? All of the above?

Executive/north american cars are usually cars driven for a short period and they are basically new vehicles. Miles can range but usually less than 10k. Never been titled you are first technical owner so you still get the remaining maintenance. Sometimes CPO'ed as well for extra warranty and generally well equipped.

Then there are service loaners which are generally under 5k miles and can be leased that are driven by customers as service loaners. Equipment varies, usually less than Exec level cars.

Could be all of the above as you described but generally those two categories. Main benefit to these cars is they can usually be had for much less than new, often offer more warranty (if CPO'ed depending on in service date) and BMW used to offer special financing generally for these vehicles (0.9% in the past, etc).

Can't really say I've ever seen an //M executive car though. I guess that depends on your dealership/region.

Last edited by IDBGOD; 10-30-2018 at 10:25 AM..
Appreciate 2