European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

07-29-2018, 12:51 PM   #1
gprgeorge
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Silverstone

Dare I jump from 2016 M3 to 2018 M3 CS?

I currently own a 2016 M3 Silverston/Cohiba brown with manual transmission. I have had it for about 3 years. Have about 24K miles, has MPE and stage I Dinan. I am like many of you, after about 3 years I get bored and want something else. At my BMW dealership, they have two M5s but they are really big cars. I was told the dealership will be receiving a 2018 M3 CS San Marino Blue soon. Have any of you on the forum driven one or have one? I know about the cost, outrageous but is this car special? The next version M3 may not be around until 2 years. Would it be best to lease a CS or out right buy if its a limited production model? Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 01:03 PM   #2
Ultimatespeed
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4|E92 M3|F82 M4 l F80 M3

Considering there are about 550 of them coming to the states and its different I would consider getting it. However, far as I know there are no leasing programs on the CS or finance rates from BMW FS. So you would have to purchase this car. My friend tried to lease the one at my local dealership. Its an amazing looking car in the frozen blue or lime rock grey. Not sure about the white or the other colors.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 03:16 PM   #3
gprgeorge
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Interesting. So no leasing, just out right buy one? I had no idea. That will eliminate a lot of potential buyers for the CS.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 03:57 PM   #4
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

I see no reason why they wouldn't lease it. Still counts as a sale for both dealer and bmw
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 04:01 PM   #5
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Just get a 911 and call it a day.
Mgarage66.50
alex23642864.50
zamboni1130.50
OneSickM122.00
dpgfunk332.50
AIRHEIR443.50
ttruong92215.00
Deteria109.50
stormlv932.00
sdshah849.00
ARM3D45.00
DML967.50
BimmerKay196.50
AhsanU3829.50
      07-29-2018, 04:10 PM   #6
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Cool car and cool color.

But is it really that different from what you have? Will be DCT right? You cool with that? Other things about the CS tell me it is for the track - you good with that?

Personally, I get the itch part - but this car just doesn't seem that different and certainly will lose some value over the next 3 years.

So other than the color and the rarity, I wonder... will you be happy?
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2018, 05:37 PM   #7
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
911 GT3
Appreciate 2
      07-29-2018, 05:48 PM   #8
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueMR View Post
911 GT3
Lol I was trying to stay within CS ballpark.
      07-29-2018, 05:52 PM   #9
Flacht3
Not Enough Garage Space
Rep
Drives: STO /765LTS/ Macan

Here are the common themes I see in every CS thread

- "But it's limited, won't that make it special and appreciate?" No, it most likely won't. It's overpriced as it is which limits your re-sale market, and isn't special enough to hold/increase its value. Just look at the GTS.
- "But performance wise isn't it better than my F8X?" Only marginally. Incrementally better sure, but I think you'll barely realize the difference in day to day driving.
- "But it looks amazing!" It does look great, but just go custom-color on a F8X competition next time around and you'll forget all about it.

I'm not anti CS, I just think people jump on it for the wrong reasons. If I didn't have an M3/4 and really wanted a current gen F8X and was looking for something brand new then maybe I'd consider it, but trading up from a 2016 M3 probably isn't worth it...except maybe if your state allows for tax-credit on trade ins and you get a better rate/incentive or some other means to come out relatively even financially. Ultimately, I don't think it's worth it.

I think you'd be happier holding onto that 2016 M3 for a few more years and jumping into something that truly feels new and different, but that's just my opinion.

Last edited by Flacht3; 07-29-2018 at 07:29 PM..
Appreciate 9
MPoweRo428.00
Patrik158.00
alex23642864.50
stormlv932.00
ONE1125.00
JustChris17487.50
bueller173.50
      07-29-2018, 07:27 PM   #10
gprgeorge
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_DM View Post

- "But it's limited, won't that make it special and appreciate?" No, it most likely won't. It's overpriced as it is which limits your re-sale market, and isn't special enough to keep it holding/increasing it's value. Just look at the GTS.
- "But performance wise isn't it better than my F8X?" Only marginally. Incrementally better sure, but I think you'll barely realize the difference in day to day driving.
- "But it looks amazing!" It does look great, but just go custom-color on a F8X competition next time around and you'll forget all about it.

I'm not anti CS, I just think people jump on it for the wrong reasons. If I didn't have an M3/4 and really wanted a current gen F8X and was looking for something brand new then maybe I'd consider it, but trading up from a 2016 M3 probably isn't worth it...except maybe if your state allows for tax-credit on trade ins and you get a better rate/incentive or some other means to come out relatively even financially. Ultimately, I don't think it's worth it.

I think you'd be happier holding onto that 2016 M3 for a few more years and jumping into something that truly feels new and different, but that's just my opinion.
Your response makes a hell of a lot of sense. I think your 100% right. The CS does not have A/C vents in the rear or Top down camera view that I really use. I appreciate the advice. For that money, I could even look into an M5.
Appreciate 1
Flacht31138.00
      07-30-2018, 11:08 AM   #11
Speedwell-Industries
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3

Quote:

- "But it's limited, won't that make it special and appreciate?" No, it most likely won't. It's overpriced as it is which limits your re-sale market, and isn't special enough to hold/increase its value. Just look at the GTS.

+1 Agreed!
Appreciate 1
Smeargle173.00
      07-30-2018, 11:28 AM   #12
GlazierGlaze
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Audi RS6

Is Lime Rock Grey limited to the CS?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 11:45 AM   #13
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
....most threads could be ended with this lol. If only I could get my hands on a gt3
Appreciate 2
      07-30-2018, 12:08 PM   #14
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

No manual no care
Appreciate 1
Brasko1420.00
      07-30-2018, 12:33 PM   #15
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprgeorge View Post
Interesting. So no leasing, just out right buy one? I had no idea. That will eliminate a lot of potential buyers for the CS.
Limited production, no reason for BMW to bend over backwards.

Quote:

It won't appreciate in the short term, but 20 years from now, people will be seeking out these cars just like they are now with the M3 CSL.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 12:46 PM   #16
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
Quote:

Quote:

It won't appreciate in the short term, but 20 years from now, people will be seeking out these cars just like they are now with the M3 CSL.
Cool I'm gonna take 1 spot of my 2 car garage that I'll never drive and probably have the wiring get chewed by rats at some point then spend thousands of dollars on repairs. THEN in 20 years you'll all see. I'll come back on this forum and gloat how much money I made. Bhwhahaha
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 12:48 PM   #17
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep
Drives: F80, F86

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post

in 20-years, anything non electric with manual transmission would be sought after
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 02:23 PM   #18
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerIx View Post
Cool I'm gonna take 1 spot of my 2 car garage that I'll never drive and probably have the wiring get chewed by rats at some point then spend thousands of dollars on repairs. THEN in 20 years you'll all see. I'll come back on this forum and gloat how much money I made. Bhwhahaha
It's a limited production run car meant for the ultimate M enthusiast. And it's priced as such - someone who is interested in this car isn't too concerned about the price, which is way way WAY too high.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 03:13 PM   #19
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Are you getting anything more than just some interior trim and exterior stickers?

I thought from the other thread the M4 had a bit more meaningful changes but the M3 didn't really.

Also, how much is the thing? If its somewhere in the price range of a GT4, just put down a deposit and get in line for one of those. At least there's evidence those cars appreciate

The M4 GTS isn't making me confident in BMW (either making a competitive track special car, or holding value)

EDIT: my bias is that its for the M fanboy, not for the M enthusiast since I don't think there's much in it. Looking forward to lap time comparisons in the future of M3 CS vs. '15 M3 with full coilovers/camber plates, track day brake pads, and 275 front / 305 rear NT01 on aftermarket wheels.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 03:31 PM   #20
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Are you getting anything more than just some interior trim and exterior stickers?

I thought from the other thread the M4 had a bit more meaningful changes but the M3 didn't really.

Also, how much is the thing? If its somewhere in the price range of a GT4, just put down a deposit and get in line for one of those. At least there's evidence those cars appreciate

The M4 GTS isn't making me confident in BMW (either making a competitive track special car, or holding value)

EDIT: my bias is that its for the M fanboy, not for the M enthusiast since I don't think there's much in it. Looking forward to lap time comparisons in the future of M3 CS vs. '15 M3 with full coilovers/camber plates, track day brake pads, and 275 front / 305 rear NT01 on aftermarket wheels.
T
E
N

H
O
R
S
E
P
O
W
E
R
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 03:46 PM   #21
melvyn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
I currently own a 2016 M3 Silverston/Cohiba brown with manual transmission. I have had it for about 3 years. Have about 24K miles, has MPE and stage I Dinan. I am like many of you, after about 3 years I get bored and want something else. At my BMW dealership, they have two M5s but they are really big cars. I was told the dealership will be receiving a 2018 M3 CS San Marino Blue soon. Have any of you on the forum driven one or have one? I know about the cost, outrageous but is this car special? The next version M3 may not be around until 2 years. Would it be best to lease a CS or out right buy if its a limited production model? Thanks guys!
Yes you should as it's a special car.Beuatifull individual interior, icons and HK as standard, fabulous staggered forged wheels with cup tyres, carbon bonnet, carbon front and rear spoilers, GTS carbon diffuser, dampers retuned which are excellent, near perfect launch control, huge midrange pull , retuned exhaust system , limited edition which will mean you probably won't see another on the road.
I came out of a 600 hp M6 CP, this car will beat it to the ton and will be incredible on your 'Canyon" roads.
Get it in this colour with the ccb and bingo

Appreciate 3
Hedoniste3834.00
IB M2782.00
JustChris17487.50
      07-30-2018, 03:52 PM   #22
melvyn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post

Put your 0-60 up , then I will understand what your talking about

Appreciate 0