Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

09-15-2021, 09:29 AM   #1
sdjro
Private
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW F82

Temperatures in Idrive

Guys how much reliable is the information of Idrive?
What temperature you don't exceed on track?
Pressure indication was pretty accurate for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 12:33 PM   #2
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Corvette Z06

The sensors are accurate and unless something breaks or your car is modded you have zero to even worry about with water and oil temps. This is the coldest running vehicle I've ever had and it was driven hard in crazy heat. If something does fail and temps start getting crazy, the car will go limp anyway.

The one temperature that I was never able to get a reading on which I would have liked was the DCT and I know that I've gotten it extremely hot before. There's definitely a temperature sensor there but I couldn't find where to get a reading on it.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 08:05 PM   #3
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

On my track wheels I would see 180F plus on the TPMS.
I had one fail and come apart inside the tire on a track day, right front.
So I no longer use TPMS on my track wheels.
Now I check tire pressures before and after each track session.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdjro View Post
Guys how much reliable is the information of Idrive?
What temperature you don't exceed on track?
Pressure indication was pretty accurate for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 08:57 PM   #4
F80Speed77
Grid.Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I dont use it for anything other than.

1. Yes my tires have pressure
2. My temps dont say 190deg

Essentially I wouldn't use it for any sort post session analysis, thats what a pressure gauge and pyrometer are for.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 12:36 AM   #5
sdjro
Private
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
The sensors are accurate and unless something breaks or your car is modded you have zero to even worry about with water and oil temps. This is the coldest running vehicle I've ever had and it was driven hard in crazy heat. If something does fail and temps start getting crazy, the car will go limp anyway.

The one temperature that I was never able to get a reading on which I would have liked was the DCT and I know that I've gotten it extremely hot before. There's definitely a temperature sensor there but I couldn't find where to get a reading on it.
I also noticed if the engine is set to sport plus, it never overheats, even on track with very hot outside temps.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 12:39 AM   #6
sdjro
Private
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suds View Post
On my track wheels I would see 180F plus on the TPMS.
I had one fail and come apart inside the tire on a track day, right front.
So I no longer use TPMS on my track wheels.
Now I check tire pressures before and after each track session.
For me always tire temps reach 90°C while on track,and i was thinking at what temp to stop pushing.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 01:37 AM   #7
sdjro
Private
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80Speed77 View Post
I dont use it for anything other than.

1. Yes my tires have pressure
2. My temps dont say 190deg

Essentially I wouldn't use it for any sort post session analysis, thats what a pressure gauge and pyrometer are for.
Iknow that an pyrometer is best to use but i wanted to use idrive data during session as a safety net, to stop pushing.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 12:04 AM   #8
3MOS
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdjro View Post
Iknow that an pyrometer is best to use but i wanted to use idrive data during session as a safety net, to stop pushing.
One of my driving instructors was talking about this recently, saying that most street tires don't like to be pushed above 150 or so, but it really depends on what tires you're running. In the past, I've had Michelin PSS get greasy at 160+ per iDrive, so that's the temp I look out for as a safety check and that's worked well for me. I'll glance on a straight and if I see a temp close to 160 I'll take it a bit easier/correct my turn in so I'm not pushing the front through turns and overheating the tires.

I don't know how accurate the TPMS are for temperature, but I guess the accuracy is less important since they are consistent (i.e., I look for 160 but perhaps a pyrometer would say that really it's 150 degrees/the TPMS read 10 degrees high).

Relatedly, it's interesting that the Cup 2 Connects have one temperature sensor on the inside of each tire, similar to a TPMS but mounted on the rubber. If one sensor works well for Michelin, the TPMS can't be that terrible of a tool. Certainly doesn't give you as much data as pyrometer readings across the tire tread. Maybe the Cup 2 Connect 4 (ha!) will have four sensors inside each tire to bridge the gap =)
Appreciate 0