proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

04-23-2021, 02:35 PM   #45
USSEnterprise
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HA55L3R View Post
Hey it hit 95 here last summer lol most of the track days around here aren't that bad though.

Lower ambient temps helps to a degree but the problem with our brakes are that they do a poor job of dissipating heat, the faster you go the more you'll realize this. Removing the heat shields, adding brake ducts and titanium shims help but on faster tracks like the glen i still burn through a set of brake pads a day. I just picked up some girodisc rotors which should help, i think for the stock calipers that's best setup you can do
Girodisc will be a HUGE step up. That's what I run and they do an excellent job dissipating heat.
Appreciate 1
HA55L3R53.00
      04-23-2021, 05:08 PM   #46
Driver407
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' F80 M3, 02' E46 M3

I'm on the fence if I want to get new OEM rotors from FCP Euro or jump up to the Girodisc. I need to replace them before my next event.

I dont have heat issues yet but I could see them coming the faster I get. Little bit of heat dissipation vs the fcp lifetime warranty. Not sure which will work out better in the long run.
TC Kline coilovers and camber plates, Apex 18" EC-7, Conti ECF 295r/275f, monoball thrustarms, SPL toe arms, Powerflex diff bushings/bracket, AP Racing 9660, Project Mu H21, Spiegler brake lines, AA midpipe, VTT crankhub, VRSF charge/j pipe, Turner tray, BM3 CS
Youtube: Driver407
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 07:42 AM   #47
USSEnterprise
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by irokdayellup View Post
I'm on the fence if I want to get new OEM rotors from FCP Euro or jump up to the Girodisc. I need to replace them before my next event.

I dont have heat issues yet but I could see them coming the faster I get. Little bit of heat dissipation vs the fcp lifetime warranty. Not sure which will work out better in the long run.
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...+for+track+use
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 09:38 PM   #48
Driver407
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' F80 M3, 02' E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by irokdayellup View Post

I ended up buying a set of used AP racing 9660 brakes a few months ago. Remembered to throw my temperature stickers on today at the track. Was surprised after the entire day in 110 degree temps, not a single zone burst. (I had the fastest lap of all the people on transponder list for thunderhill west reverse event 1:26.04, so not slow) Even took it off and added flame to make sure it wasn't a dud. My previous post in this thread I had 360f on the sticker for my OEM fronts. Big brake kits do things... who woulda thought
Attached Images

TC Kline coilovers and camber plates, Apex 18" EC-7, Conti ECF 295r/275f, monoball thrustarms, SPL toe arms, Powerflex diff bushings/bracket, AP Racing 9660, Project Mu H21, Spiegler brake lines, AA midpipe, VTT crankhub, VRSF charge/j pipe, Turner tray, BM3 CS
Youtube: Driver407

Last edited by Driver407; 06-20-2021 at 09:56 PM.. Reason: words
Appreciate 2
      06-21-2021, 09:37 AM   #49
m4forum
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

I dont know the track/tires and laptime what has huge influence on brake temperatures but at MidOhio and Grattan my temps are 360-380F ... the major difference is that system can cool down much quicker and get ready for next braking zone. I dont feel pedal change from beginning and ending of a 30 min section.
The only difference I noticed on pedal is when pad gets really thin like 4-5mm of material as heat gets transferred much faster.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 03:57 PM   #50
BMMMW14
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M3 Track Car

Thought I would add a data point. These stickers are after a 35 minute session, trying to simulate a race (not quali) pace. Car is about 3,500 with a full tank, this is on several year old R1s. Girodisc, PFC 08, RB stainless pistons all the way around. Pretty happy with the performance of the setup. [IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 11:04 AM   #51
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Corvette Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMMMW14 View Post
Thought I would add a data point. These stickers are after a 35 minute session, trying to simulate a race (not quali) pace. Car is about 3,500 with a full tank, this is on several year old R1s. Girodisc, PFC 08, RB stainless pistons all the way around. Pretty happy with the performance of the setup. [IMG][/IMG]
Was there a follow-up session you have a data point for?

I remember that my first sessions, were typically problem-free on the stock setup but follow-up sessions (1-2 hours later), the heat would not dissipate that well and that's when the real high temps started to appear.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 02:58 PM   #52
BMMMW14
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
Quote:
Was there a follow-up session you have a data point for?

I remember that my first sessions, were typically problem-free on the stock setup but follow-up sessions (1-2 hours later), the heat would not dissipate that well and that's when the real high temps started to appear.
Actually, yes I should have been clearer, this was after a full day of shorter sessions, was just trying to make the point that this was after a long session of consistently fast, low traffic laps. Very pleased with these rotors.

With stock rotors and brake pistons, I agree was fine for shorter sessions, or one at a time, but I was crumbling 08 pads when I really leaned on them for a longer session. 35 min is all I get out of a tank of gas anyways - ha.

In the name of science, will replace and photograph them after each successive session in 2 weeks, totally possible the last session got them hotter.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 03:11 PM   #53
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Actually, yes I should have been clearer, this was after a full day of shorter sessions, was just trying to make the point that this was after a long session of consistently fast, low traffic laps. Very pleased with these rotors.

With stock rotors and brake pistons, I agree was fine for shorter sessions, or one at a time, but I was crumbling 08 pads when I really leaned on them for a longer session. 35 min is all I get out of a tank of gas anyways - ha.

In the name of science, will replace and photograph them after each successive session in 2 weeks, totally possible the last session got them hotter.
That is very impressive, probably should have tried Girodiscs. I regret not taking a photograph of my stock calipers before my AP set but you've got lower temps than my APs did 435F. Stocks were over 500F.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 03:31 PM   #54
BMMMW14
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
Quote:

That is very impressive, probably should have tried Girodiscs. I regret not taking a photograph of my stock calipers before my AP set but you've got lower temps than my APs did 435F. Stocks were over 500F.
Crazy. I wish had the data to isolated the caliper temp between the rotors and the stainless pistons, but hey the whole setup does seem to work, at least with stock power... a problem for another day!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 08:14 PM   #55
m4forum
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

which tire and tracks? I had the same stock setup and always had issues even at tracks which are not demanding on brakes like Mid Ohio and Grattan.
Also would be interested to know tracks and laptimes.
I dont believe the front brakes with only 30mm thickness can handle R compound for this car.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 09:31 PM   #56
BMMMW14
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4forum View Post
which tire and tracks? I had the same stock setup and always had issues even at tracks which are not demanding on brakes like Mid Ohio and Grattan.
Also would be interested to know tracks and laptimes.
I dont believe the front brakes with only 30mm thickness can handle R compound for this car.
This was WGI, not easy on brakes, average time for this session was ~2:06 would say I use half a set of 08s in a full 8 session weekend.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 07:44 AM   #57
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This was WGI, not easy on brakes, average time for this session was ~2:06 would say I use half a set of 08s in a full 8 session weekend.
Lmao, funny enough mine was WGI as well.

Lime Rock was harder though.
Appreciate 0