European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-23-2019, 12:09 PM   #1
Maitre_Absolut
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 CS, Audi RS6

For those that added slip on (Remus, Akra, MPE) AFTER AA Midpipe

I've had the AA mid pipe for a while now and I'm curious to know from those who after a rear section afterwards, what changed in the sound?

Overall volume? Tone? Half trottle? WOT? Decel?

Was the change more significant from adding AA or adding slip on?

For the price im sure AA provides the best gains but overall still worth it to add rear?

I'm not interested in louder or more burbles either, just sound. I like how my CS sounds now, once warmed up it does get quiet though. I'm rarely WOT and it sounds amazing already so looking for more volume / tone at lower speeds and partial throttle.

Thanks
17 Porsche Macan GTS
14 Audi S4
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 12:20 PM   #2
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

I've never just had the AA midpipe on; but the remus definitely makes it deeper and adds a bit of growl. IMO the car sounds the way it sounds....AA, REmus,,,MPe are all enhancements...but damn she screams at 5-6k upshifts.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 07:01 PM   #3
Maitre_Absolut
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
I've never just had the AA midpipe on; but the remus definitely makes it deeper and adds a bit of growl. IMO the car sounds the way it sounds....AA, REmus,,,MPe are all enhancements...but damn she screams at 5-6k upshifts.
How can you tell what the AA is doing vs the Remus? I think AA adds the deeper tone.
17 Porsche Macan GTS
14 Audi S4
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 09:20 PM   #4
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

If you deleting secondary cats and the resonator, all exhaust sounds super similar with valves open. Different topic with valves closed.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 10:33 AM   #5
Eggplant
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i 2018 M3

Just did AA midpipe after 2,500ish miles on just MPE.

Definitely a deeper tone both valves open or closed compared to just MPE.

Valves closed(efficient)city driving is nice with just a bit more grunt.

Valves open(sport+) city driving gets annoying because of the loud arse burbles(not a fan of burbles tbh) otherwise it's just throatier and no rasp.

Highway driving is valves open for sure and screams the higher you go on the rev-range <3

I have a 6MT so maybe a DCT car is less annoying in city driving with valves open (sport+)
      05-24-2019, 11:51 AM   #6
Maitre_Absolut
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW4LYF View Post
If you deleting secondary cats and the resonator, all exhaust sounds super similar with valves open. Different topic with valves closed.
So you are saying once you have AA mid, all rear sections sound the same with valves open?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggplant View Post
Just did AA midpipe after 2,500ish miles on just MPE.

Definitely a deeper tone both valves open or closed compared to just MPE.

Valves closed(efficient)city driving is nice with just a bit more grunt.

Valves open(sport+) city driving gets annoying because of the loud arse burbles(not a fan of burbles tbh) otherwise it's just throatier and no rasp.

Highway driving is valves open for sure and screams the higher you go on the rev-range <3

I have a 6MT so maybe a DCT car is less annoying in city driving with valves open (sport+)
I guess you did the opposite, start with MPE and add AA.

BTW with a valve controller you can drive in sport with valves open and not have the super loud burbles (they are less pronounced in loudness and duration under sport vs sport +)
17 Porsche Macan GTS
14 Audi S4
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 12:03 PM   #7
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maitre_Absolut View Post
So you are saying once you have AA mid, all rear sections sound the same with valves open?

I guess you did the opposite, start with MPE and add AA.

BTW with a valve controller you can drive in sport with valves open and not have the super loud burbles (they are less pronounced in loudness and duration under sport vs sport +)
Kinda... with valves open most exhaust don't use the can just the pipes

So I have a OEM ZCP can + Remus non resonated midepipe, an MPE with AA midpipe is not louder than my setup because both don't use the can with open valves.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 11:48 AM   #8
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
How can you tell what the AA is doing vs the Remus? I think AA adds the deeper tone.
I don't; the midpipe will def affect the volume the most; the axle back just refines the noise. What I meant to say is that the car sounds like a gurgling turbo diseal and no exhaust is going to change that tone. The louder it gets the more ignorant your look with a nice luxury car making the noise of a straight piped civic. Thats just my opinion; its plenty loud with the AA+remus.

But like all exahust threads end....heres the proper way of modding the exhaust. I don't believe in unplugging the valves because that shit will pound your head when getting on the throttle on the highyway at 6am. Downpipe is contreversial but they throw the CEL.

1. put on AA midpipe
2. axleback
3.downpipes
4.burbble tune

by the time you put on downpipes your car should be impounded if it doesn't have valves.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 11:59 AM   #9
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
I don't believe in unplugging the valves because that shit will pound your head when getting on the throttle on the highyway at 6am. Downpipe is contreversial but they throw the CEL.
Do you have bm3 on your car? If you do, what is your flaps settings? Like you I don't like drone at highway cruising speed. In bm3 I set the flaps to use OEM settings so the flaps close at cruising highway speed. I never tried customizing the flaps to do different things with different throttle programs.
      05-25-2019, 06:25 PM   #10
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Loin View Post
Do you have bm3 on your car? If you do, what is your flaps settings? Like you I don't like drone at highway cruising speed. In bm3 I set the flaps to use OEM settings so the flaps close at cruising highway speed. I never tried customizing the flaps to do different things with different throttle programs.
I have a valve controller. I was referring to people who simply unplug the exhaust valve module; which keeps them open or closed 100% of time with no control.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 11:48 PM   #11
Justin.AutoTalent
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

When adding the rear section to the AA Mid Pipe (whether it's a ZCP muffler, Remus, or Dinan) you usually find a decent increase in volume + tone change.

Between the 3 listed options that I just mentioned, the Dinan produces the loudest change because of the small muffler design.

Remus is right in the middle, creating a deeper tone and noticeably different change in tone.

ZCP creates a subtle tone change over non comp packages, while adding a very small increase in volume.

Here are 3 different videos for comparison.

Appreciate 1
///M///1862.00
      05-27-2019, 07:00 AM   #12
Maitre_Absolut
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW4LYF View Post
Kinda... with valves open most exhaust don't use the can just the pipes

So I have a OEM ZCP can + Remus non resonated midepipe, an MPE with AA midpipe is not louder than my setup because both don't use the can with open valves.
You bring up a good point. How can the sound be different when we are bypassing the can anyways

17 Porsche Macan GTS
14 Audi S4
Appreciate 1
Shadow2121.00
      05-27-2019, 09:14 AM   #13
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
You bring up a good point. How can the sound be different when we are bypassing the can anyways

They sound different with valves closed, specially titanium sounds different. With open valves they all sound super similar since it's almost a straight pipe.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 11:46 PM   #14
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

We have the Active Autowerke midpipe on the shop's M4 for a while , i really liked the sound but wanted more volume.

Added the REMUS axle back couple months ago, i can easily say this is the best sounding setup for this car. None comes close in my opinion.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 10:32 AM   #15
DaytonaVioletM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f80 M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
We have the Active Autowerke midpipe on the shop's M4 for a while , i really liked the sound but wanted more volume.

Added the REMUS axle back couple months ago, i can easily say this is the best sounding setup for this car. None comes close in my opinion.

This is 100% correct. I have the same set up and nothing sounds better. I have seen and heard almost every imaginable combo and so happy with how my car sounds.